Quantcast

[ITP] DocBook 5 + tools

Holger Bast
Hi there,
I'm interested in maintaining DocBook 5 schemata plus some additional tools for docbook (daps and jing-trang). I've never maintained a package before, so I think the best way for me would be starting with DocBook 5. By creating the cygport file I run into some questions that I would like to address:

1) docbook-5.0 installation path
All docbook-4.x files are installed in /usr/share/xml/docbook/<xml-dtd-4.5> and so on. With DocBook 5 the distribution format changed and there is now one folder with all necessary information:

drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0  6. Feb 2008  .
drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0 30. Mrz 16:39 ..
-rwx------+ 1 holger Kein  3287  6. Feb 2008  catalog.xml
-rwx------+ 1 holger Kein 46419  6. Feb 2008  ChangeLog
-rwx------+ 1 holger Kein   430  6. Feb 2008  docbook.nvdl
drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0  6. Feb 2008  docs
drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0  6. Feb 2008  dtd
-rwx------+ 1 holger Kein  1182  6. Feb 2008  README
drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0  6. Feb 2008  rng
drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0  6. Feb 2008  sch
drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0  6. Feb 2008  tools
-rwx------+ 1 holger Kein     4  6. Feb 2008  VERSION
drwx------+ 1 holger Kein     0  6. Feb 2008  xsd

I propose to put the hole distribution under

/usr/share/xml/docbook/docbook-5.0/

so everything is in one place. I also had a look at Ubuntu; they put the schema-folders (dtd, rng, schematron (renamed sch), xsd and catalog-docbook5.xml) under

/usr/share/xml/docbook/schema

and all documentation in their doc-structure. In my opinion, putting everything at one place would be the easiest way to work with.

2) docbook.cyglass
Should I make use of the docbook.cyglass file? I think this one heavily depends on DocBook 4.x distribution.

Bye & thanks,
Holger

Aw: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools

Holger Bast
category: Text
requires: perl
sdesc: "DocBook XML 5.0 distribution"
ldesc: "DocBook is a schema (available in several languages including RELAX NG, SGML and XML DTDs, and W3C XML Schema)
maintained by the DocBook Technical Committee of OASIS. It is particularly well suited to books and papers about
computer hardware and software (though it is by no means limited to these applications)."

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=docbook5-xml

Packages:
https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1.hint
https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1.tar.xz
https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1-src.tar.xz

Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools

On 30/03/2017 16:39, Holger Bast wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm interested in maintaining DocBook 5 schemata plus some additional tools for docbook (daps and jing-trang). I've never maintained a package before, so I think the best way for me would be starting with DocBook 5. By creating the cygport file I run into some questions that I would like to address:

Thanks for doing this.

For the avoidance of doubt, what license applies to this?

> 1) docbook-5.0 installation path
> All docbook-4.x files are installed in /usr/share/xml/docbook/<xml-dtd-4.5> and so on. With DocBook 5 the distribution format changed and there is now one folder with all necessary information:

[...]

> I propose to put the hole distribution under
>
> /usr/share/xml/docbook/docbook-5.0/
>
> so everything is in one place. I also had a look at Ubuntu; they put the schema-folders (dtd, rng, schematron (renamed sch), xsd and catalog-docbook5.xml) under
>
> /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema
>
> and all documentation in their doc-structure. In my opinion, putting everything at one place would be the easiest way to work with.

I think the documentation should be under /usr/share/doc, both to
conform with our packaging guidelines (such as they are), and for
discoverability (people may know to look in /usr/share/doc for
documentation)

Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools

Holger Bast
Hello Jon,
thanks for your reply.

Jon Turney schrieb:
> On 30/03/2017 16:39, Holger Bast wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I'm interested in maintaining DocBook 5 schemata plus some additional tools for docbook (daps and jing-trang). I've
>> never maintained a package before, so I think the best way for me would be starting with DocBook 5. By creating the
>> cygport file I run into some questions that I would like to address:
>
> Thanks for doing this.
>
> For the avoidance of doubt, what license applies to this?

DocBook is an open standard from OASIS.

>> 1) docbook-5.0 installation path
>> All docbook-4.x files are installed in /usr/share/xml/docbook/<xml-dtd-4.5> and so on. With DocBook 5 the distribution
>> format changed and there is now one folder with all necessary information:
>>
> [...]

I decided not to rely on the "old" docbook-4.x files and generate a new one. This package will not collide with any
docbook-4.x installation!

>> I propose to put the hole distribution under
>>
>> /usr/share/xml/docbook/docbook-5.0/
>>
>> so everything is in one place. I also had a look at Ubuntu; they put the schema-folders (dtd, rng, schematron (renamed
>> sch), xsd and catalog-docbook5.xml) under
>>
>> /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema
>>
>> and all documentation in their doc-structure. In my opinion, putting everything at one place would be the easiest way
>> to work with.
>
> I think the documentation should be under /usr/share/doc, both to conform with our packaging guidelines (such as they
> are), and for discoverability (people may know to look in /usr/share/doc for documentation)

Ok. I'll check that tomorrow and update my package and recipe file :)

Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools

Holger Bast
Ok, I updated the files and uploaded them on the server.
1) License added
2) doc und xml files are now separated

category: Text
requires: perl
sdesc: "DocBook XML 5.0 distribution"
ldesc: "DocBook is a schema (available in several languages including RELAX NG, SGML and XML DTDs, and W3C XML Schema)
maintained by the DocBook Technical Committee of OASIS. It is particularly well suited to books and papers about
computer hardware and software (though it is by no means limited to these applications)."

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=docbook5-xml

Packages:
https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1.hint
https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1.tar.xz
https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1-src.tar.xz

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 05. April 2017 um 19:05 Uhr
> Von: "Jon Turney" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Cc: "Holger Bast" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools
>
> On 30/03/2017 16:39, Holger Bast wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I'm interested in maintaining DocBook 5 schemata plus some additional tools for docbook (daps and jing-trang). I've never maintained a package before, so I think the best way for me would be starting with DocBook 5. By creating the cygport file I run into some questions that I would like to address:
>
> Thanks for doing this.
>
> For the avoidance of doubt, what license applies to this?
>
> > 1) docbook-5.0 installation path
> > All docbook-4.x files are installed in /usr/share/xml/docbook/<xml-dtd-4.5> and so on. With DocBook 5 the distribution format changed and there is now one folder with all necessary information:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > I propose to put the hole distribution under
> >
> > /usr/share/xml/docbook/docbook-5.0/
> >
> > so everything is in one place. I also had a look at Ubuntu; they put the schema-folders (dtd, rng, schematron (renamed sch), xsd and catalog-docbook5.xml) under
> >
> > /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema
> >
> > and all documentation in their doc-structure. In my opinion, putting everything at one place would be the easiest way to work with.
>
> I think the documentation should be under /usr/share/doc, both to
> conform with our packaging guidelines (such as they are), and for
> discoverability (people may know to look in /usr/share/doc for
> documentation)

Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools -- Next Steps?

Holger Bast
Hi there,
Are the packages docbook5 and daps ok and will they be included in the cygwin portage?

What are the next steps for me?

Thx + Bye,
Holger

> Gesendet: Freitag, 07. April 2017 um 12:13 Uhr
> Von: "Holger Bast" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Cc: "Jon Turney" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools
>
> Ok, I updated the files and uploaded them on the server.
> 1) License added
> 2) doc und xml files are now separated
>

> category: Text
> requires: perl
> sdesc: "DocBook XML 5.0 distribution"
> ldesc: "DocBook is a schema (available in several languages including RELAX NG, SGML and XML DTDs, and W3C XML Schema)
> maintained by the DocBook Technical Committee of OASIS. It is particularly well suited to books and papers about
> computer hardware and software (though it is by no means limited to these applications)."
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=docbook5-xml
>
> Packages:
> https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1.hint
> https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1.tar.xz
> https://virtualheadcrash.net/cygwin/x86/docbook-5.0/docbook-5-5.0-1-src.tar.xz
>

> > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 05. April 2017 um 19:05 Uhr
> > Von: "Jon Turney" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Cc: "Holger Bast" <[hidden email]>
> > Betreff: Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools
> >
> > On 30/03/2017 16:39, Holger Bast wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > > I'm interested in maintaining DocBook 5 schemata plus some additional tools for docbook (daps and jing-trang). I've never maintained a package before, so I think the best way for me would be starting with DocBook 5. By creating the cygport file I run into some questions that I would like to address:
> >
> > Thanks for doing this.
> >
> > For the avoidance of doubt, what license applies to this?
> >
> > > 1) docbook-5.0 installation path
> > > All docbook-4.x files are installed in /usr/share/xml/docbook/<xml-dtd-4.5> and so on. With DocBook 5 the distribution format changed and there is now one folder with all necessary information:
> > >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I propose to put the hole distribution under
> > >
> > > /usr/share/xml/docbook/docbook-5.0/
> > >
> > > so everything is in one place. I also had a look at Ubuntu; they put the schema-folders (dtd, rng, schematron (renamed sch), xsd and catalog-docbook5.xml) under
> > >
> > > /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema
> > >
> > > and all documentation in their doc-structure. In my opinion, putting everything at one place would be the easiest way to work with.
> >
> > I think the documentation should be under /usr/share/doc, both to
> > conform with our packaging guidelines (such as they are), and for
> > discoverability (people may know to look in /usr/share/doc for
> > documentation)

Re: [ITP] DocBook 5 + tools -- Next Steps?

Jon TURNEY
On 18/04/2017 15:05, Holger Bast wrote:
> Hi there,
> Are the packages docbook5 and daps ok and will they be included in the cygwin portage?
>
> What are the next steps for me?

Thank you for your patience and sorry about the delay.

Sorry I didn't notice this before, but I think this package should be
called 'docbook5' (there are no current examples of a package name
containing a hyphen followed by a digit, and I think that should be
avoided), in which case, the cygport file should be named docbook5.cygport

Your .cygport file also has a mixture of tabs and spaces, please fix that.

With those things fixed, package looks good, so please provide a ssh key
as per https://cygwin.com/package-upload.html