[ITA] wxWidgets3.0

12

[ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
Hi there,

Just sending this out so I can update wxWidgets to 3.0.5.1. I've pulled
in new patches from Fedora, but I can't find
mirror://portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/files/wxGTK-3.0.3-collision.patch
anywhere. Does anyone happen to have a copy of this?

My hope is that it is no longer needed, but obviously I can't confirm
that without actually having the patch. I haven't got any files uploaded
yet because I'm doing a test build. If anyone has a copy of that
patch/knows where to find it please let me know.

Hamish

0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 20:20:53 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps

> Hi there,
>
> Just sending this out so I can update wxWidgets to 3.0.5.1. I've pulled
> in new patches from Fedora, but I can't find
> mirror://portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/files/wxGTK-3.0.3-collision.patch
> anywhere. Does anyone happen to have a copy of this?
>
> My hope is that it is no longer needed, but obviously I can't confirm
> that without actually having the patch. I haven't got any files uploaded
> yet because I'm doing a test build. If anyone has a copy of that
> patch/knows where to find it please let me know.
>
> Hamish

Hi!

You can get them from one of the current src packages.

List of src files: https://www.cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/wxWidgets3.0-src/wxWidgets3.0-3.0.4-1-src
Package: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/release/wxWidgets3.0/

Regards,

Lem

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 17/10/2020 01:21, Lemures Lemniscati via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 20:20:53 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Just sending this out so I can update wxWidgets to 3.0.5.1. I've pulled
>> in new patches from Fedora, but I can't find
>> mirror://portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/files/wxGTK-3.0.3-collision.patch
>> anywhere. Does anyone happen to have a copy of this?
>>
>> My hope is that it is no longer needed, but obviously I can't confirm
>> that without actually having the patch. I haven't got any files uploaded
>> yet because I'm doing a test build. If anyone has a copy of that
>> patch/knows where to find it please let me know.
>>
>> Hamish
>>
> Hi!
>
> You can get them from one of the current src packages.
>
> List of src files: https://www.cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/wxWidgets3.0-src/wxWidgets3.0-3.0.4-1-src
> Package: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/release/wxWidgets3.0/
>
> Regards,
>
> Lem
Excellent, thanks :)

I'll post again when I've got builds and have improved the cygport file
(this one doesn't have build dependencies).

It takes about 3-4 hours per build, somehow, so it might be a little
while, but we'll see :)

Hamish

0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

Brian Inglis
On 2020-10-17 07:17, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 17/10/2020 01:21, Lemures Lemniscati via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 20:20:53 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps
>>> Just sending this out so I can update wxWidgets to 3.0.5.1. I've pulled
>>> in new patches from Fedora, but I can't find
>>> mirror://portage/x11-libs/wxGTK/files/wxGTK-3.0.3-collision.patch
>>> anywhere. Does anyone happen to have a copy of this?
>>>
>>> My hope is that it is no longer needed, but obviously I can't confirm
>>> that without actually having the patch. I haven't got any files uploaded
>>> yet because I'm doing a test build. If anyone has a copy of that
>>> patch/knows where to find it please let me know.

>> You can get them from one of the current src packages.
>> List of src files: https://www.cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/wxWidgets3.0-src/wxWidgets3.0-3.0.4-1-src
>> Package: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/release/wxWidgets3.0/

> Excellent, thanks :)
>
> I'll post again when I've got builds and have improved the cygport file
> (this one doesn't have build dependencies).
>
> It takes about 3-4 hours per build, somehow, so it might be a little
> while, but we'll see :)

Those mirrors should be part of cygport SRC_URI or PATCH_URI and will be
retrieved on download.

Portage is gentoo equivalent on which cygport is based and that patch hits some
make and bake file and translation sources as part of a patchset series:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=e16e67f0678b264a04e96954a4593ddac3a9a32d

including also:

https://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/distfiles/wxGTK-3.0.3_p20180104.tar.xz

where you will have to figure out if you need to doenload and apply patches to
their sources or make a similar change to get the equivalent effect in your
cygport.

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 17/10/2020 16:04, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2020-10-17 07:17, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 17/10/2020 01:21, Lemures Lemniscati via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 20:20:53 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps

>>> You can get them from one of the current src packages.
>>> List of src files: https://www.cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/wxWidgets3.0-src/wxWidgets3.0-3.0.4-1-src
>>> Package: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/release/wxWidgets3.0/
>> Excellent, thanks :)
>>
>> I'll post again when I've got builds and have improved the cygport file
>> (this one doesn't have build dependencies).
>>
>> It takes about 3-4 hours per build, somehow, so it might be a little
>> while, but we'll see :)
> Those mirrors should be part of cygport SRC_URI or PATCH_URI and will be
> retrieved on download.
>
> Portage is gentoo equivalent on which cygport is based and that patch hits some
> make and bake file and translation sources as part of a patchset series:
>
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=e16e67f0678b264a04e96954a4593ddac3a9a32d
>
> including also:
>
> https://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/distfiles/wxGTK-3.0.3_p20180104.tar.xz
>
> where you will have to figure out if you need to doenload and apply patches to
> their sources or make a similar change to get the equivalent effect in your
> cygport.

Thanks Brian, I'll look into those.

It gave a 404 trying to download that patch, but not a problem because I
have it now. I'll look around and see if I can use those other ones you
sent, or if there are more patches in any more current Gentoo package.

On 19/10/2020 16:31, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 17/10/2020 16:04, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Excellent, thanks :)
>>>
>>> I'll post again when I've got builds and have improved the cygport file
>>> (this one doesn't have build dependencies).
>>>
>>> It takes about 3-4 hours per build, somehow, so it might be a little
>>> while, but we'll see :)
>> Those mirrors should be part of cygport SRC_URI or PATCH_URI and will be
>> retrieved on download.
>>
>> Portage is gentoo equivalent on which cygport is based and that patch hits some
>> make and bake file and translation sources as part of a patchset series:
>>
>> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=e16e67f0678b264a04e96954a4593ddac3a9a32d
>>
>> including also:
>>
>> https://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/distfiles/wxGTK-3.0.3_p20180104.tar.xz
>>
>> where you will have to figure out if you need to doenload and apply patches to
>> their sources or make a similar change to get the equivalent effect in your
>> cygport.
>>
> Thanks Brian, I'll look into those.
>
> It gave a 404 trying to download that patch, but not a problem because I
> have it now. I'll look around and see if I can use those other ones you
> sent, or if there are more patches in any more current Gentoo package.
>
> Hamish
Okay, new patches reviewed and BUILD_DEPENDS is sorted.

I've heard a new CI tool mentioned here (AppVeyor?). Is there a way I
can use that to test my packaging/build-depends once this local build is
finished?

On 2020-10-21 07:57, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 19/10/2020 16:31, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>>> Those mirrors should be part of cygport SRC_URI or PATCH_URI and will be
>>> retrieved on download.
>>>
>>> Portage is gentoo equivalent on which cygport is based and that patch hits some
>>> make and bake file and translation sources as part of a patchset series:
>>>
>>> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=e16e67f0678b264a04e96954a4593ddac3a9a32d
>>>
>>> including also:
>>>
>>> https://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/distfiles/wxGTK-3.0.3_p20180104.tar.xz
>>>
>>> where you will have to figure out if you need to doenload and apply patches to
>>> their sources or make a similar change to get the equivalent effect in your
>>> cygport.
>>>
>> Thanks Brian, I'll look into those.
>>
>> It gave a 404 trying to download that patch, but not a problem because I
>> have it now. I'll look around and see if I can use those other ones you
>> sent, or if there are more patches in any more current Gentoo package.
>>
>> Hamish
>
> Okay, new patches reviewed and BUILD_DEPENDS is sorted.
>
> I've heard a new CI tool mentioned here (AppVeyor?). Is there a way I
> can use that to test my packaging/build-depends once this local build is
> finished?

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-October/040577.html

As you adopted the package, you will first have to do a clone in your Cygwin
cygport directory from:

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/wxWidgets3.0.git

YMMV, but after cloning adopted packages, as I have a Cygwin ssh alias defined,
I setup my .git/config for each package like:

$ tail +0 .git/config
[core]
        repositoryformatversion = 0
        filemode = true
        bare = false
        logallrefupdates = true
        ignorecase = true
[remote "origin"]
        url = ssh://cygwin/git/cygwin-packages/curl.git
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
        remote = ssh://cygwin/git/cygwin-packages/curl
        merge = refs/heads/master

and run ssh-agent and ssh-add to provide my passphrase for uploads and pushes.
I believe you may use e.g. ssh://[hidden email]/... instead.

If you are the original ITP packager, you have to init the package, set the
[remote "origin"], add and commit the cygport and any other files you want to
publish, then push to create the Cygwin repo.

I should now add [branch "playground"] entries to make testing appveyor CI
builds cleaner and easier, as I usually don't do this stuff enough to remember
how to do it, so I muddle through, and then forget what I need to add to my
notes on packaging.

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

Achim Gratz
Brian Inglis writes:
> I should now add [branch "playground"] entries to make testing appveyor CI
> builds cleaner and easier, as I usually don't do this stuff enough to remember
> how to do it, so I muddle through, and then forget what I need to add to my
> notes on packaging.

It's not necessary to keep playground as a local branch, just

git push origin master:playground

fix it up as you get the Ci results and then after everything works
there, push to master and delete the branch on the remote with

git push origin && git push origin :playground

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 21/10/2020 19:39, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I should now add [branch "playground"] entries to make testing appveyor CI
>> builds cleaner and easier, as I usually don't do this stuff enough to remember
>> how to do it, so I muddle through, and then forget what I need to add to my
>> notes on packaging.
> It's not necessary to keep playground as a local branch, just
>
> git push origin master:playground
>
> fix it up as you get the Ci results and then after everything works
> there, push to master and delete the branch on the remote with
>
> git push origin && git push origin :playground
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
Excellent, thanks.

Unfortunately, the unit tests do not run correctly for me, but it seems
they were originally disabled by Yakkov, probably for this exact reason.

There are two test programs generated for both GTK2 and GTK3. One is a
commandline tool, and the other tests GUI elements and does things like
simulating mouse clicks and keyboard input. Please note that neither of
these compile unless I edit the makefile to remove the fswatcher
component (which doesn't build in Cygwin), I think it uses a kernel feature.

The cmdline one segfaults (both for GTK2 and GTK3), and a number of
tests fail, but unfortunately I cannot see which exact tests are failing
because I don't get to the summary before it segfaults. I'm not really
sure how to debug this, as I don't have much experience in C/C++
programming, and even less experience with using a debugger. Any good
tips/links?

The GTK2 GUI tests pass with only 2 failures, but there are 53 failures
for the GTK3 GUI tests.

If I can use a demo (eg the wxPython demo) and recursively go through
all the GUI elements verifying things work, would that be considered
good enough? I imagine this is probably what Yaakov did back when he
built the current wxwidgets packages. I'm not really satisfied with this
but I am not sure I have the skills to proceed further without help/advice.

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Unfortunately, the unit tests do not run correctly for me, but it seems
> they were originally disabled by Yakkov, probably for this exact reason.

I believe many of the Gtk packages were either cross-compiled or
compiled on a machine without the GUI available, so I'd not expect the
tests to have been run for these.  Another problem is that GUI tests
more often than not than suffer from ATWIL syndrome and can't be run as
intended without major changes to the testsuite.

> The cmdline one segfaults (both for GTK2 and GTK3), and a number of
> tests fail, but unfortunately I cannot see which exact tests are failing
> because I don't get to the summary before it segfaults. I'm not really
> sure how to debug this, as I don't have much experience in C/C++
> programming, and even less experience with using a debugger. Any good
> tips/links?

Well, the first thing I'd check if it even picks up the libraries you
have just compiled.  If it fiddles with LD_LIBRARY_PATH that's your
first clue that it doesn't.  You might have to prepend the build
directories that have the libraries to PATH or even install the package
before running the tests.

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 27/10/2020 13:16, ASSI wrote:
> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> Unfortunately, the unit tests do not run correctly for me, but it seems
>> they were originally disabled by Yakkov, probably for this exact reason.
> I believe many of the Gtk packages were either cross-compiled or
> compiled on a machine without the GUI available, so I'd not expect the
> tests to have been run for these.  Another problem is that GUI tests
> more often than not than suffer from ATWIL syndrome and can't be run as
> intended without major changes to the testsuite.

Ah I see, this makes sense. How well the GUI tests run seems rather
inconsistent. I think there might be an alignment issue that's causing
so many of the GTK3 tests to fail.

>> The cmdline one segfaults (both for GTK2 and GTK3), and a number of
>> tests fail, but unfortunately I cannot see which exact tests are failing
>> because I don't get to the summary before it segfaults. I'm not really
>> sure how to debug this, as I don't have much experience in C/C++
>> programming, and even less experience with using a debugger. Any good
>> tips/links?
> Well, the first thing I'd check if it even picks up the libraries you
> have just compiled.  If it fiddles with LD_LIBRARY_PATH that's your
> first clue that it doesn't.  You might have to prepend the build
> directories that have the libraries to PATH or even install the package
> before running the tests.
I've already added the libraries to PATH when building, but thanks for
the suggestion. I did also have to remove the system wxwidgets install
even with that, because the unit tests kept trying to use that,
resulting in fork errors and other unpredictable behaviour. Any more
ideas? Honestly, I'm happy to test manually with the wxPython demo and
some wxwidgets test programs if that's considered good enough.

Another interesting thing is that I get the following messages when
running cygport install:

Warning: x was not linked with -Wl, --enable-auto-image-base

Is this anything to be alarmed about or not really an issue? The
libraries seem to work okay, at any rate.

Hamish

0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

Achim Gratz
Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Another interesting thing is that I get the following messages when
> running cygport install:
>
> Warning: x was not linked with -Wl, --enable-auto-image-base
>
> Is this anything to be alarmed about or not really an issue? The
> libraries seem to work okay, at any rate.

I'm not sure if cygport actually fixes this up by changing the flags in
the DLL, but that means that the linker flags that cygport tries to
force are overwritten somewhere else.  Now, this is most likely CMake
you're dealing with, so the best of luck in figuring out where.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 28/10/2020 08:40, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> Another interesting thing is that I get the following messages when
>> running cygport install:
>>
>> Warning: x was not linked with -Wl, --enable-auto-image-base
>>
>> Is this anything to be alarmed about or not really an issue? The
>> libraries seem to work okay, at any rate.
> I'm not sure if cygport actually fixes this up by changing the flags in
> the DLL, but that means that the linker flags that cygport tries to
> force are overwritten somewhere else.  Now, this is most likely CMake
> you're dealing with, so the best of luck in figuring out where.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
Okay thanks, I'll look into that shortly.

I'm getting near the stage where using the CI tool might be useful;
could someone hand over the package to me please so I can commit to the
git repo please?

Also of note, is the ridiculous amount of memory that seems to be needed
when compiling and linking wxWidgets (I needed to give 12GB to my VM!) -
will I crash the CI system if I try to build using it, or will it be
okay/not a disaster if it uses too much RAM and starts swapping?

Hamish

0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 28/10/2020 08:40, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> Another interesting thing is that I get the following messages when
>> running cygport install:
>>
>> Warning: x was not linked with -Wl, --enable-auto-image-base
>>
>> Is this anything to be alarmed about or not really an issue? The
>> libraries seem to work okay, at any rate.
> I'm not sure if cygport actually fixes this up by changing the flags in
> the DLL, but that means that the linker flags that cygport tries to
> force are overwritten somewhere else.  Now, this is most likely CMake
> you're dealing with, so the best of luck in figuring out where.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
Hmm, how does cygport do this?

I tried setting LDFLAGS (which was previously empty) to " -Wl,
--enable-auto-image-base" but that just broke the compiler.

I'm building again now with the hopes of seeing what the commandline to
the linker is, and hence hopefully finding it and maybe patching it in
the source, but there might be a better way.

Hamish

0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
Ignore my previous message - whatever was wrong is now fixed. I didn't
change anything much so I think it was a dependency that had an issue
and was since recompiled.

64-bit build is done and seems to work fine. I'm testing it using the
samples, nearly all of which work, and new things that weren't in the
previous wxwidgets build now work (eg webview with webkit).

I need to finish my testing and then build for 32-bit Cygwin, but all
seems good.

When it's all done I'll email again with my cygport file attached and a
link to the file locations.

On 11/11/2020 17:36, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> Ignore my previous message - whatever was wrong is now fixed. I didn't
> change anything much so I think it was a dependency that had an issue
> and was since recompiled.
>
> 64-bit build is done and seems to work fine. I'm testing it using the
> samples, nearly all of which work, and new things that weren't in the
> previous wxwidgets build now work (eg webview with webkit).
>
> I need to finish my testing and then build for 32-bit Cygwin, but all
> seems good.
>
> When it's all done I'll email again with my cygport file attached and a
> link to the file locations.
>
> Hamish
Okay, I have successfully manually tested wxWidgets3.0 on both 32-bit
and 64-bit Cygwin, and I haven't found any significant issues. It also
seems to work with my existing wxPython build but I'm going to recompile
that anyway just to be sure and to get the new version number for
wxWidgets in the build.

The test packages are available for download at
https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/ as usual, and my cygport
file is attached here.

Here's a quick summary of the changes I've made:

- Updated to wxWidgets 3.0.5.1 from 3.0.4.

- Added build dependencies.

- Evaluated lots of new patches (over 80), and found that nearly none of
them were needed (already patched in new source), so we only have a few
new patches.

- Updated the wxGTK collision patch for wxwidgets 3.0.5.1 as the old one
wouldn't apply.

- Use pushd and popd instead of cd in the cygport file.

- Enable automated unit tests in the cygport file (these currently do
work so I tested manually).

- Enable and test wxwebview with webkit (works fine in all configurations).

I'd like to use the AppVeyor CI tool to double check the build and build
dependencies, but the very high RAM usage during compilation (12GB!)
makes me think it might crash that system. Is it safe for me to proceed?
I really don't want to ruin someone's day by crashing the CI system(s).
I think I need a GTG before  can do this because I don't currently own
the package, but I'm not sure.

Finally, I'm going to keep these as test packages until I've got
wxPython build and tested against them, which will be maybe another week
or so depending on other priorities.

Any feedback is very welcome :)

Hamish

wxWidgets3.0.cygport (8K) Download Attachment

On 12/11/2020 18:00, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 11/11/2020 17:36, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Ignore my previous message - whatever was wrong is now fixed. I didn't
>> change anything much so I think it was a dependency that had an issue
>> and was since recompiled.
>>
>> 64-bit build is done and seems to work fine. I'm testing it using the
>> samples, nearly all of which work, and new things that weren't in the
>> previous wxwidgets build now work (eg webview with webkit).
>>
>> I need to finish my testing and then build for 32-bit Cygwin, but all
>> seems good.
>>
>> When it's all done I'll email again with my cygport file attached and a
>> link to the file locations.
>>
>> Hamish
> Okay, I have successfully manually tested wxWidgets3.0 on both 32-bit
> and 64-bit Cygwin, and I haven't found any significant issues. It also
> seems to work with my existing wxPython build but I'm going to recompile
> that anyway just to be sure and to get the new version number for
> wxWidgets in the build.
>
> The test packages are available for download at
> https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/ as usual, and my cygport
> file is attached here.
>
> Here's a quick summary of the changes I've made:
>
> - Updated to wxWidgets 3.0.5.1 from 3.0.4.
>
> - Added build dependencies.
>
> - Evaluated lots of new patches (over 80), and found that nearly none of
> them were needed (already patched in new source), so we only have a few
> new patches.
>
> - Updated the wxGTK collision patch for wxwidgets 3.0.5.1 as the old one
> wouldn't apply.
>
> - Use pushd and popd instead of cd in the cygport file.
>
> - Enable automated unit tests in the cygport file (these currently do
> work so I tested manually).
>
> - Enable and test wxwebview with webkit (works fine in all configurations).
>
> I'd like to use the AppVeyor CI tool to double check the build and build
> dependencies, but the very high RAM usage during compilation (12GB!)
> makes me think it might crash that system. Is it safe for me to proceed?
> I really don't want to ruin someone's day by crashing the CI system(s).
> I think I need a GTG before  can do this because I don't currently own
> the package, but I'm not sure.
>
> Finally, I'm going to keep these as test packages until I've got
> wxPython build and tested against them, which will be maybe another week
> or so depending on other priorities.
>
> Any feedback is very welcome :)
>
> Hamish
*bump* in case this went unnoticed.

I know it's a pain checking these over because it takes so long to build
them, but I would still very much appreciate it. I am already a
maintainer for other packages, but AFAIK this doesn't give me the right
to GTG myself.

On 2020-11-21 09:52, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 12/11/2020 18:00, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 11/11/2020 17:36, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> Ignore my previous message - whatever was wrong is now fixed. I didn't
>>> change anything much so I think it was a dependency that had an issue
>>> and was since recompiled.
>>>
>>> 64-bit build is done and seems to work fine. I'm testing it using the
>>> samples, nearly all of which work, and new things that weren't in the
>>> previous wxwidgets build now work (eg webview with webkit).
>>>
>>> I need to finish my testing and then build for 32-bit Cygwin, but all
>>> seems good.
>>>
>>> When it's all done I'll email again with my cygport file attached and a
>>> link to the file locations.
>>>
>>> Hamish
>> Okay, I have successfully manually tested wxWidgets3.0 on both 32-bit
>> and 64-bit Cygwin, and I haven't found any significant issues. It also
>> seems to work with my existing wxPython build but I'm going to recompile
>> that anyway just to be sure and to get the new version number for
>> wxWidgets in the build.
>>
>> The test packages are available for download at
>> https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/ as usual, and my cygport
>> file is attached here.
>>
>> Here's a quick summary of the changes I've made:
>>
>> - Updated to wxWidgets 3.0.5.1 from 3.0.4.
>>
>> - Added build dependencies.
>>
>> - Evaluated lots of new patches (over 80), and found that nearly none of
>> them were needed (already patched in new source), so we only have a few
>> new patches.
>>
>> - Updated the wxGTK collision patch for wxwidgets 3.0.5.1 as the old one
>> wouldn't apply.
>>
>> - Use pushd and popd instead of cd in the cygport file.
>>
>> - Enable automated unit tests in the cygport file (these currently do
>> work so I tested manually).
>>
>> - Enable and test wxwebview with webkit (works fine in all configurations).
>>
>> I'd like to use the AppVeyor CI tool to double check the build and build
>> dependencies, but the very high RAM usage during compilation (12GB!)
>> makes me think it might crash that system. Is it safe for me to proceed?
>> I really don't want to ruin someone's day by crashing the CI system(s).
>> I think I need a GTG before  can do this because I don't currently own
>> the package, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> Finally, I'm going to keep these as test packages until I've got
>> wxPython build and tested against them, which will be maybe another week
>> or so depending on other priorities.
>>
>> Any feedback is very welcome :)
>>
>> Hamish
>
> *bump* in case this went unnoticed.
>
> I know it's a pain checking these over because it takes so long to build
> them, but I would still very much appreciate it. I am already a
> maintainer for other packages, but AFAIK this doesn't give me the right
> to GTG myself.

Push your cygport to the git-cygwin-packages playground repo (see Jon Turney's
recent reply to me in this list) which all maintainers can push to, as you don't
yet own the git-cygwin-packages wxWidgets repo; check the CI jobs.cgi log
contents, and fix any issues.

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
> *bump* in case this went unnoticed.

It didn't, I just know that this GNOME crap will always need another 40
packages installed before I can even start looking.

> I know it's a pain checking these over because it takes so long to build
> them, but I would still very much appreciate it. I am already a
> maintainer for other packages, but AFAIK this doesn't give me the right
> to GTG myself.

Here's what I have so far:

1. Do not add the runtime packages to BUILD_REQUIRES (i.e if you have
zlib-devel, then don't add zlib).  If there are runtime packages you
need for testing, list them on a separate line and comment that these
are needed for testing only (xclock, graphviz?).  Currently we assume
the dependencies needed by cygport to be available always without
explicitly mentioining them (e.g. autoconf), although it doesn't hurt to
have them in.

2. The option --without-gnomeprint seems no longer available and would
be default anyway since gtkprint gets detected and used.

3. You should explicitly specify that you want to use the system regex
library, so add --with-regex=sys.

4. It should be possible to enable full STL now, so add --enable-stl.

5. If you copy the config.cache forward to the next run of configure you
can save a bit of time not rechecking stuff you already checked.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Re: [ITA] wxWidgets3.0

Brian Inglis writes:
> Push your cygport to the git-cygwin-packages playground repo (see Jon
> Turney's recent reply to me in this list) which all maintainers can
> push to, as you don't yet own the git-cygwin-packages wxWidgets repo;
> check the CI jobs.cgi log contents, and fix any issues.

Fun fact: that will certainly run into the build timeout that is
currently set at 1 hour.  Jon, do you think it'd be possible to have
another SCALLYWAG variable to extend that limit for the packages that
need it?

12