[ITA] lighttpd

gs-cygwin.com
lighttpd developer (me) would like to adopt the lighttpd package in
cygwin.

lighttpd 1.4.55 was released in Jan.  A request to package was sent to
the cygwin list in March.  Still no lighttpd 1.4.55 in cygwin. :(

I am preparing to release lighttpd-1.4.56, a major release with support
for HTTP/2, and figured getting lighttpd-1.4.55 into cygwin would be a
good start for a new cygwin package maintainer.  lighttpd-1.4.55 has
proven to be a stable release.

Cheers, Glenn

Re: [ITA] lighttpd

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 30.10.2020 10:04, Glenn Strauss wrote:

> lighttpd developer (me) would like to adopt the lighttpd package in
> cygwin.
>
> lighttpd 1.4.55 was released in Jan.  A request to package was sent to
> the cygwin list in March.  Still no lighttpd 1.4.55 in cygwin. :(
>
> I am preparing to release lighttpd-1.4.56, a major release with support
> for HTTP/2, and figured getting lighttpd-1.4.55 into cygwin would be a
> good start for a new cygwin package maintainer.  lighttpd-1.4.55 has
> proven to be a stable release.
>
> Cheers, Glenn

Hi Glenn,
can you share the proposed packages somewhere ?

Just a formality to verify the package meets the cygwin standards
I assume you used the Yaakov's cygport as base.

Re: [ITA] lighttpd

Brian Inglis
On 2020-10-30 07:05, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 30.10.2020 10:04, Glenn Strauss wrote:
>> lighttpd developer (me) would like to adopt the lighttpd package in
>> cygwin.
>>
>> lighttpd 1.4.55 was released in Jan.  A request to package was sent to
>> the cygwin list in March.  Still no lighttpd 1.4.55 in cygwin. :(
>>
>> I am preparing to release lighttpd-1.4.56, a major release with support
>> for HTTP/2, and figured getting lighttpd-1.4.55 into cygwin would be a
>> good start for a new cygwin package maintainer.  lighttpd-1.4.55 has
>> proven to be a stable release.

> can you share the proposed packages somewhere ?
> Just a formality to verify the package meets the cygwin standards
> I assume you used Yaakov's cygport as base.

The previous maintainer cygport is in the Cygwin source package, which you can
install using the Cygwin Setup program, or download
.../x86{,_64}/release/lighttpd/lighttpd-1.4.54-1-src.tar.xz from any Cygwin
mirror, and also in the online repo used by appveyor CI:
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/lighttpd.git

Please just copy the contents of your updated lighttpd.cygport and the cygport
generated directory hierarchies lighttpd-1.4.55-1.{x86_64,i686}/dist/ onto
online shared storage somewhere with access via link(s) posted here.

Re: [ITA] lighttpd

gs-cygwin.com
On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 01:01:01PM -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2020-10-30 07:05, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > On 30.10.2020 10:04, Glenn Strauss wrote:
> >> lighttpd developer (me) would like to adopt the lighttpd package in
> >> cygwin.
> >>
> >> lighttpd 1.4.55 was released in Jan.  A request to package was sent to
> >> the cygwin list in March.  Still no lighttpd 1.4.55 in cygwin. :(
> >>
> >> I am preparing to release lighttpd-1.4.56, a major release with support
> >> for HTTP/2, and figured getting lighttpd-1.4.55 into cygwin would be a
> >> good start for a new cygwin package maintainer.  lighttpd-1.4.55 has
> >> proven to be a stable release.
>
> > can you share the proposed packages somewhere ?
> > Just a formality to verify the package meets the cygwin standards
> > I assume you used Yaakov's cygport as base.
>
> The previous maintainer cygport is in the Cygwin source package, which you can
> install using the Cygwin Setup program, or download
> .../x86{,_64}/release/lighttpd/lighttpd-1.4.54-1-src.tar.xz from any Cygwin
> mirror, and also in the online repo used by appveyor CI:
> https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/lighttpd.git
>
> Please just copy the contents of your updated lighttpd.cygport and the cygport
> generated directory hierarchies lighttpd-1.4.55-1.{x86_64,i686}/dist/ onto
> online shared storage somewhere with access via link(s) posted here.

lighttpd-1.4.55 package produced by cygport:

https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd.patch
  (patch to lighttpd.cygport)
https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd/
  (cygport dist/)

Future looking for lighttpd-1.4.56:

lighttpd is a modular web server.  However, the current lighttpd.cygport
lumps *everything* together into a single package, with dependencies for
all modules.  It appears the same was done for nginx.  At least Apache
httpd.cygport has multiple packages.  I plan to do something similar for
lighttpd-1.4.56, as lighttpd-1.4.56 adds multiple options for TLS
libraries, and a single lighttpd package should not depend on many
different TLS libraries available under Cygwin.  While lighttpd "could"
do so, I would rather not do so for those for whom disk space matters.

Question: what is the recommended approach to deploying such a change?

The lighttpd base package will still contain all modules for typical
usage of lighttpd.  However, if an end-user is using mod_openssl and
TLS modules are separated into separate packages, then the additional
package would need to be installed.

On Debian, this transition is occurring by having the Debian lighttpd
package "Recommends" lighttpd-mod-openssl, and apt/dpkg will install
the openssl module for typical upgrades which accept "Recommends".

Is there any similar mechanism on Cygwin?

Cheers, Glenn

Re: [ITA] lighttpd

gs-cygwin.com
On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 05:13:37PM -0500, Glenn Strauss wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 01:01:01PM -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:

> > > can you share the proposed packages somewhere ?
> > > Just a formality to verify the package meets the cygwin standards
> > > I assume you used Yaakov's cygport as base.
> >
> > The previous maintainer cygport is in the Cygwin source package, which you can
> > install using the Cygwin Setup program, or download
> > .../x86{,_64}/release/lighttpd/lighttpd-1.4.54-1-src.tar.xz from any Cygwin
> > mirror, and also in the online repo used by appveyor CI:
> > https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/lighttpd.git
> >
> > Please just copy the contents of your updated lighttpd.cygport and the cygport
> > generated directory hierarchies lighttpd-1.4.55-1.{x86_64,i686}/dist/ onto
> > online shared storage somewhere with access via link(s) posted here.
>
> lighttpd-1.4.55 package produced by cygport:
>
> https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd.patch
>   (patch to lighttpd.cygport)
> https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd/
>   (cygport dist/)
>

> Future looking for lighttpd-1.4.56:
>
> lighttpd is a modular web server.  However, the current lighttpd.cygport
> lumps *everything* together into a single package, with dependencies for
> all modules.  It appears the same was done for nginx.  At least Apache
> httpd.cygport has multiple packages.  I plan to do something similar for
> lighttpd-1.4.56, as lighttpd-1.4.56 adds multiple options for TLS
> libraries, and a single lighttpd package should not depend on many
> different TLS libraries available under Cygwin.  While lighttpd "could"
> do so, I would rather not do so for those for whom disk space matters.
>
> Question: what is the recommended approach to deploying such a change?
>
> The lighttpd base package will still contain all modules for typical
> usage of lighttpd.  However, if an end-user is using mod_openssl and
> TLS modules are separated into separate packages, then the additional
> package would need to be installed.
>
> On Debian, this transition is occurring by having the Debian lighttpd
> package "Recommends" lighttpd-mod-openssl, and apt/dpkg will install
> the openssl module for typical upgrades which accept "Recommends".
>
> Is there any similar mechanism on Cygwin?
>
> Cheers, Glenn

Re-sending.

https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd-1.4.55-1.x86_64/

https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd-1.4.56-1.x86_64/

Cheers, Glenn

Re: [ITA] lighttpd

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 09.11.2020 13:46, Glenn Strauss wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 05:13:37PM -0500, Glenn Strauss wrote:
>>>>>

> Re-sending.
>
> https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd-1.4.55-1.x86_64/
>
> https://www.gluelogic.com/cygport/lighttpd-1.4.56-1.x86_64/
>
> Cheers, Glenn

GTG

see:

https://cygwin.com/packaging/key.html#sshkey
https://cygwin.com/package-upload.html

Re: [ITA] lighttpd

Glenn Strauss writes:

> lighttpd is a modular web server.  However, the current lighttpd.cygport
> lumps *everything* together into a single package, with dependencies for
> all modules.  It appears the same was done for nginx.  At least Apache
> httpd.cygport has multiple packages.  I plan to do something similar for
> lighttpd-1.4.56, as lighttpd-1.4.56 adds multiple options for TLS
> libraries, and a single lighttpd package should not depend on many
> different TLS libraries available under Cygwin.  While lighttpd "could"
> do so, I would rather not do so for those for whom disk space matters.
>
> Question: what is the recommended approach to deploying such a change?

You either just strip down the functionality of the previous package to
something lean enough but having the typical functionality you think
most users will need _or_ you obsolete the previous package and then
have a bunch of new packages that do whatever you want.  The obsoletion
needs to name a suggested replacement.

> The lighttpd base package will still contain all modules for typical
> usage of lighttpd.  However, if an end-user is using mod_openssl and
> TLS modules are separated into separate packages, then the additional
> package would need to be installed.

Keep in mind that setup currently gives no hints on such optional
dependencies and when they are needed.

> On Debian, this transition is occurring by having the Debian lighttpd
> package "Recommends" lighttpd-mod-openssl, and apt/dpkg will install
> the openssl module for typical upgrades which accept "Recommends".
>
> Is there any similar mechanism on Cygwin?

No, in part because there is no way for setup to ask the user and use
the answer.  The libsolv that does the actual package selection could do
that, but we don't deliver the inputs.