[ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Takashi Yano
Hi,

I would like to take over the maintenance of inetutils package,
which is currently orphaned. I have already prepared an updated
inetutils package as follows.

Change History
----------  inetutils-1.9.4-1 -- 11 Jul 2018 -----------
* Updated to latest upstream release
* Enabled IPv6 support
* Enhanced the /etc/ftpchroot parser on ftpd so that the root
  directory can be specified by the second field.
* Fixed an upsteam bug of talk that could fail to connect with
  a party if there are multiple network interfaces.

Package Files:

D=http://tyan0.dip.jp/cygwin
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1-src.tar.xz
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1-src.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.tar.xz

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

marco atzeri-4
Am 15.07.2018 um 21:50 schrieb Takashi Yano:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to take over the maintenance of inetutils package,
> which is currently orphaned. I have already prepared an updated
> inetutils package as follows.
>
> Change History
> ----------  inetutils-1.9.4-1 -- 11 Jul 2018 -----------
> * Updated to latest upstream release
> * Enabled IPv6 support
> * Enhanced the /etc/ftpchroot parser on ftpd so that the root
>    directory can be specified by the second field.
> * Fixed an upsteam bug of talk that could fail to connect with
>    a party if there are multiple network interfaces.
>

builds fine and passes the tests.

Any chance to provide also ping so
we can obsolete the ancient ping package ?

Regards
Marco

---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Takashi Yano
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:05:39 +0200
Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> builds fine and passes the tests.

Thank you for checking.

> Any chance to provide also ping so
> we can obsolete the ancient ping package ?

I have succeeded to build ping/ping6 in inetutils package and
confirmed they seem to work correctly.

However I do not know how to prompt to users, who are using old
ping package, to request replacing it while installing inetutils
package.

Is there any package feature to do so?

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

marco atzeri-4
Am 16.07.2018 um 06:55 schrieb Takashi Yano:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:05:39 +0200
> Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> builds fine and passes the tests.
>
> Thank you for checking.
>
>> Any chance to provide also ping so
>> we can obsolete the ancient ping package ?
>
> I have succeeded to build ping/ping6 in inetutils package and
> confirmed they seem to work correctly.
>
> However I do not know how to prompt to users, who are using old
> ping package, to request replacing it while installing inetutils
> package.
>
> Is there any package feature to do so?
>

never used but I think is OBSOLETES
https://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/pkg_pkg_cygpart.html#robo389


---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Brian Inglis
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
On 2018-07-15 15:05, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 15.07.2018 um 21:50 schrieb Takashi Yano:
>> I would like to take over the maintenance of inetutils package,
>> which is currently orphaned. I have already prepared an updated
>> inetutils package as follows.
>> Change History
>> ----------  inetutils-1.9.4-1 -- 11 Jul 2018 -----------
>> * Updated to latest upstream release
>> * Enabled IPv6 support
>> * Enhanced the /etc/ftpchroot parser on ftpd so that the root
>>    directory can be specified by the second field.
>> * Fixed an upsteam bug of talk that could fail to connect with
>>    a party if there are multiple network interfaces.
> builds fine and passes the tests.
> Any chance to provide also ping so we can obsolete the ancient ping package?

Corinna asked the previous adopter to remove ping from the package because it
duplicated yours.
I removed that package from my system because it required elevated admin
privileges to work, whereas Windows ping uses IcmpSendEcho API to bypass the
elevated admin privilege required to access raw sockets and send an ICMP Echo
request.
I support keeping any raw sockets ping as a separate package, so I don't need to
add a postinstall cleanup script to rename/remove it.

Currently RH/Fedora/Centos distros provide only iputils as one package, while
Arch provides that, as well as inetutils in another package, and
Debian/Ubuntu/etc. provides separate packages for each utility in both, probably
so it can resolve conflicts using /etc/alternatives/ in postinstall scripts.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Note: As Cygwin does not support elevation, an interface to IcmpSendEcho, or
ICMP (the icmp headers are empty, so there is little support except raw
sockets), the only way to support user mode ping is using Windows ping.
Header w32api/icmpapi.h defines IcmpSendEcho for MinGW use.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Takashi Yano
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 00:24:28 -0600
Brian Inglis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I removed that package from my system because it required elevated admin
> privileges to work, whereas Windows ping uses IcmpSendEcho API to bypass the
> elevated admin privilege required to access raw sockets and send an ICMP Echo
> request.

ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Jul 16 16:14, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 00:24:28 -0600
> Brian Inglis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I removed that package from my system because it required elevated admin
> > privileges to work, whereas Windows ping uses IcmpSendEcho API to bypass the
> > elevated admin privilege required to access raw sockets and send an ICMP Echo
> > request.
>
> ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.

I'm pretty sure I wrote this a couple years back but I was overruled:

I don't think we should package ping at all.  It's just not feasible to
install a ping which doesn't work 99% of the time but is earlier in
$PATH than the working ping.

So please let's keep ping at least in a separate package, as long as we
don't have a ping working for non-admin accounts as well.


Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

marco atzeri-4
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:

> On Jul 16 16:14, Takashi Yano wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 00:24:28 -0600
>> Brian Inglis  wrote:
>> > I removed that package from my system because it required elevated admin
>> > privileges to work, whereas Windows ping uses IcmpSendEcho API to bypass the
>> > elevated admin privilege required to access raw sockets and send an ICMP Echo
>> > request.
>>
>> ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.
>
> I'm pretty sure I wrote this a couple years back but I was overruled:
>
> I don't think we should package ping at all.  It's just not feasible to
> install a ping which doesn't work 99% of the time but is earlier in
> $PATH than the working ping.
>
> So please let's keep ping at least in a separate package, as long as we
> don't have a ping working for non-admin accounts as well.

fine for me.

> Corinna

Regards
Marco
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Brian Inglis
In reply to this post by Corinna Vinschen-2
On 2018-07-16 02:02, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jul 16 16:14, Takashi Yano wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 00:24:28 -0600
>> Brian Inglis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I removed that package from my system because it required elevated admin
>>> privileges to work, whereas Windows ping uses IcmpSendEcho API to bypass the
>>> elevated admin privilege required to access raw sockets and send an ICMP Echo
>>> request.
>> ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.
> I'm pretty sure I wrote this a couple years back but I was overruled:
> I don't think we should package ping at all.  It's just not feasible to
> install a ping which doesn't work 99% of the time but is earlier in
> $PATH than the working ping.

After installing bindutils containing nslookup, cron jobs started hanging
around, as my scripts had been using Windows nslookup for years - renamed: never
got to switch to getent instead, due to problems and output variations.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Takashi Yano
In reply to this post by Takashi Yano
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:14:46 +0900
Takashi Yano wrote:
> ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.

I have noticed that current ping package, as well as ping/ping6 in
inetutils, works without administrator privilege in Windows 10.

It seems that the policy of raw socket access has been changed in
Windows 10.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Jon TURNEY
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
On 15/07/2018 22:05, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 15.07.2018 um 21:50 schrieb Takashi Yano:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to take over the maintenance of inetutils package,
>> which is currently orphaned. I have already prepared an updated
>> inetutils package as follows.
>>
>> Change History
>> ----------  inetutils-1.9.4-1 -- 11 Jul 2018 -----------
>> * Updated to latest upstream release
>> * Enabled IPv6 support
>> * Enhanced the /etc/ftpchroot parser on ftpd so that the root
>>    directory can be specified by the second field.
>> * Fixed an upsteam bug of talk that could fail to connect with
>>    a party if there are multiple network interfaces.
>>
>
> builds fine and passes the tests.

Please provide a ssh key as per https://cygwin.com/package-upload.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Corinna Vinschen-2
In reply to this post by Takashi Yano
On Jul 17 19:41, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:14:46 +0900
> Takashi Yano wrote:
> > ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.
>
> I have noticed that current ping package, as well as ping/ping6 in
> inetutils, works without administrator privilege in Windows 10.
>
> It seems that the policy of raw socket access has been changed in
> Windows 10.

Indeed!  Wow.  I just checked and apparently this has been implemented
mainly for WSL, already since build 14926.

The remaining problem is that we still have non-W10 users.

So I think the right thing to do is to keep ping in a separate package.

Marco, the ping you're maintaining isn't IPv6 capable, as far as I can
see.

Marco and Takashi, what about using ping/ping6 from inetutils but
providing them in a ping package on their own?  Would you mind to
discuss this between the two of you?  Whatever you two come up with is
fine with me.


Thanks,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

marco atzeri-4
On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:

> On Jul 17 19:41, Takashi Yano wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:14:46 +0900
>> Takashi Yano wrote:
>> > ping/ping6 in inetutils also require administrator right as well.
>>
>> I have noticed that current ping package, as well as ping/ping6 in
>> inetutils, works without administrator privilege in Windows 10.
>>
>> It seems that the policy of raw socket access has been changed in
>> Windows 10.
>
> Indeed!  Wow.  I just checked and apparently this has been implemented
> mainly for WSL, already since build 14926.
>
> The remaining problem is that we still have non-W10 users.
>
> So I think the right thing to do is to keep ping in a separate package.
>
> Marco, the ping you're maintaining isn't IPv6 capable, as far as I can
> see.

surely not. it is the ancient 1983 version
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_(networking_utility)

that is lacking a lot of features compared to most recent ones

> Marco and Takashi, what about using ping/ping6 from inetutils but
> providing them in a ping package on their own?  Would you mind to
> discuss this between the two of you?  Whatever you two come up with is
> fine with me.

I think it is a good idea

Regards
Marco
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SSH key (Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1)

Takashi Yano
In reply to this post by Jon TURNEY
Name: Takashi Yano
Package: inetutils
---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
Comment: "2048-bit RSA, converted by yano@Express5800-S70 from OpenSSH"
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQC7Q3hfohMju7VRYox4h3SWsqKYzwKS8zlePVtOu/
Ihyj2lMH/bMhhzwoVuo3rS3+Fe68ohgDqv9EIJT6hax+w/feu3/c9oLoBRNWDlDM1DPFo8
SG4sBVCC3wpC3W+5KxQungud/ct+FanqTYL7uk+XjTK/cFZQB08UEewrXbg9gAJZJiEyxT
H8Xvo7cQ9+LjkJNmBnn7QHVrin0v6pKVgaoLFBxLa+ZLhBqqgTH7F+nvR0XBDkQrxQ+A1r
GUJGSLQpOBEthb9AMzUi4ah3COmWZOKJtcpmrx+nuhrYt1mk/uy1CMwCglR3xxBMZIp8Et
mZZxtaZrAfiClRtjFL2A6p
---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Takashi Yano
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 16:28:12 +0200
marco atzeri wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:
> > Marco and Takashi, what about using ping/ping6 from inetutils but
> > providing them in a ping package on their own?  Would you mind to
> > discuss this between the two of you?  Whatever you two come up with is
> > fine with me.
>
> I think it is a good idea

How about providing ping package as a separated sub-package(?) of
inetutils just like inetutils-server package?

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

marco atzeri-4
Am 18.07.2018 um 14:15 schrieb Takashi Yano:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 16:28:12 +0200
> marco atzeri wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:
>>> Marco and Takashi, what about using ping/ping6 from inetutils but
>>> providing them in a ping package on their own?  Would you mind to
>>> discuss this between the two of you?  Whatever you two come up with is
>>> fine with me.
>>
>> I think it is a good idea
>
> How about providing ping package as a separated sub-package(?) of
> inetutils just like inetutils-server package?
>

it should be the simplest way

Marco

---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SSH key (Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1)

Jon TURNEY
In reply to this post by Takashi Yano
On 18/07/2018 00:29, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Name: Takashi Yano
> Package: inetutils
> ---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

Done.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Takashi Yano
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:22:28 +0200
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 18.07.2018 um 14:15 schrieb Takashi Yano:
> > How about providing ping package as a separated sub-package(?) of
> > inetutils just like inetutils-server package?
> >
>
> it should be the simplest way

Thanks. I have just revised inetutils package including ping package
as follows. Could you please check again?

D=http://tyan0.dip.jp/cygwin
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1-src.tar.xz
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/ping/ping-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/ping/ping-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86_64/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-server/inetutils-server-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-1.9.4-1-src.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/ping/ping-1.9.4-1.tar.xz
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/ping/ping-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.hint
${D}/x86/release/inetutils/inetutils-debuginfo/inetutils-debuginfo-1.9.4-1.tar.xz

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

marco atzeri-4
Am 18.07.2018 um 15:44 schrieb Takashi Yano:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:22:28 +0200
> Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Am 18.07.2018 um 14:15 schrieb Takashi Yano:
>>> How about providing ping package as a separated sub-package(?) of
>>> inetutils just like inetutils-server package?
>>>
>>
>> it should be the simplest way
>
> Thanks. I have just revised inetutils package including ping package
> as follows. Could you please check again?

Hi Takashi,
Tested only, seems good.
The replacement ping and ping6 seem to work fine.

Probably "calm" will complain of ping in two directories when you
upload, but Jon should be able to solve it

Thanks again
Marco


---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.9.4-1

Takashi Yano
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 17:26:17 +0200
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 18.07.2018 um 15:44 schrieb Takashi Yano:
> > Thanks. I have just revised inetutils package including ping package
> > as follows. Could you please check again?
>
> Tested only, seems good.
> The replacement ping and ping6 seem to work fine.

Thank you for checking. Now do I have a GTG?
In other words, may I upload inetutils package?

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>
12