How to find out the current cygwin version?

How to find out the current cygwin version?

Cygwin list mailing list
Assume I get to another (Windows) computer where Cygwin is already installed.

How can I find out which version of Cygwin is currently installed?

Thy
Ben

.

Re: How to find out the current cygwin version?

David Billinghurst
On 8/09/2017 14:39, Ben Stover via cygwin wrote:

> Assume I get to another (Windows) computer where Cygwin is already installed.
>
> How can I find out which version of Cygwin is currently installed?
cygcheck --version             # for cygwin dll
cygcheck  --check-setup   # for all packages

Re: How to find out the current cygwin version?

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Sep  8 14:44, David Billinghurst wrote:
> On 8/09/2017 14:39, Ben Stover via cygwin wrote:
>
> > Assume I get to another (Windows) computer where Cygwin is already installed.
> >
> > How can I find out which version of Cygwin is currently installed?
> cygcheck --version             # for cygwin dll

Or `uname -a'.

> cygcheck  --check-setup   # for all packages

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

RE: How to find out the current cygwin version?

Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)
From: David Billinghurst
> On 8/09/2017 14:39, Ben Stover via cygwin wrote:
>
> > Assume I get to another (Windows) computer where Cygwin is already
> installed.
> >
> > How can I find out which version of Cygwin is currently installed?
> cygcheck --version             # for cygwin dll

This isn't technically correct, right? This gives the version of
cygcheck itself, not the cygwin DLL, which is what was really
being requested.

Instead, use: cygcheck -c cygwin

Or, as I do (and Corinna already suggested): uname -a
or, more quietly: uname -r

--Ken Nellis

On September 8, 2017 9:05:31 AM EDT, "Nellis, Kenneth" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>From: David Billinghurst
>> On 8/09/2017 14:39, Ben Stover via cygwin wrote:
>>
>> > Assume I get to another (Windows) computer where Cygwin is already
>> installed.
>> >
>> > How can I find out which version of Cygwin is currently installed?
>> cygcheck --version             # for cygwin dll
>
>This isn't technically correct, right? This gives the version of
>cygcheck itself, not the cygwin DLL, which is what was really
>being requested.
>
>Instead, use: cygcheck -c cygwin
>
>Or, as I do (and Corinna already suggested): uname -a
>or, more quietly: uname -r

Fwiw, from what I've seen, only
cygcheck -c cygwin
gives the full x.y.z-n version.
All other suggestions give only
x.y.z without -n

Small difference, but...

.

Re: How to find out the current cygwin version?

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 09/08/2017 12:44 AM, David Billinghurst wrote:
> On 8/09/2017 14:39, Ben Stover via cygwin wrote:
>
>> Assume I get to another (Windows) computer where Cygwin is already installed.
>>
>> How can I find out which version of Cygwin is currently installed?
> cygcheck --version             # for cygwin dll
> cygcheck  --check-setup   # for all packages

To do a check of all installed packages, the second option is really the
only choice.  But if you're just looking for version of the Cygwin DLL,
"uname -r" is an alternative to the first option that is a bit more
UNIXy/Linuxy.  As such, it may be preferable if you're checking this in a
script that is meant to be cross-platform.

--
Larry

A: Yes.