[HHITP] mailutils 3.2

Ken Brown-6
This is a half-hearted ITP for GNU mailutils
(https://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/mailutils.html).  I'd like some
feedback before I proceed.

My only interest in mailutils is that it provides a utility
movemail.exe, which is used by emacs.[*]  But I looked into providing a
complete build of mailutils and various subpackages along the lines of
Debian[**], and it turned out to be straightforward.  My cygport file
and patches are attached.  I ran the testsuite, and there were 42
failures and 3 skips out of 978 tests.  The failures ought to be looked
at, but I don't this is too bad.

Ideally, the packaging should be done by someone who is actually has
some technical knowledge about email.  One or two people expressed
interest in 2010 and 2011, but they apparently gave up because they
didn't know how to deal with the "undefined symbol" errors.

If no one steps forward, I'm willing to do it, but I can't really
provide support for users beyond trying to help with debugging.
Alternatively, I could just package the minimum needed for movemail.exe.

Comments are welcome.

Ken

[*] emacs provides its own movemail.exe for systems that don't have
mailutils, but it is inferior to the one provided by mailutils and even
has some security risks.

[**] https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mailutils

mailutils.cygport (41K) Download Attachment
lber.patch (564 bytes) Download Attachment
maidag_ldadd.patch (592 bytes) Download Attachment
no_undefined.patch (10K) Download Attachment
pop3d_ldadd.patch (534 bytes) Download Attachment
imap4d_ldadd.patch (824 bytes) Download Attachment
libaux_libadd.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [HHITP] mailutils 3.2

Yaakov Selkowitz
On 2017-03-24 14:54, Ken Brown wrote:

> This is a half-hearted ITP for GNU mailutils
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/mailutils.html).  I'd like some
> feedback before I proceed.
>
> My only interest in mailutils is that it provides a utility
> movemail.exe, which is used by emacs.[*]  But I looked into providing a
> complete build of mailutils and various subpackages along the lines of
> Debian[**], and it turned out to be straightforward.  My cygport file
> and patches are attached.  I ran the testsuite, and there were 42
> failures and 3 skips out of 978 tests.  The failures ought to be looked
> at, but I don't this is too bad.

FWIW, even on Debian, the tests succeed until comsatd tests 2-7 all
fail, at which point make check terminates.  So if those are your first
failures, it may just be the testsuite.

Not a full review, but noticed a few things:

> libmailutils5_CONTENTS="
>   --exclude=usr/bin/
>   usr/bin/cyg*-5.dll
>   usr/lib/mailutils/*.dll"

What happens when a future version ships libmailutils6?  As is, the
modules will collide.  Are the modules used by the libraries directly,
or are they for the daemons?

> mailutils_mh_CONTENTS="
>   usr/bin/mu-mh
>   usr/share/mailutils/mh"

A /usr/bin/mu-mh directory would violate the FHS (4.4.2: "There must be
no subdirectories in /usr/bin.").  Depending on how these are used, one
of /usr/{lib,libexec}/mu-mh would make more sense.

Re: [HHITP] mailutils 3.2

Ken Brown-6
On 3/27/2017 3:32 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> On 2017-03-24 14:54, Ken Brown wrote:
>> This is a half-hearted ITP for GNU mailutils
>> (https://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/mailutils.html).  I'd like some
>> feedback before I proceed.
>>
>> My only interest in mailutils is that it provides a utility
>> movemail.exe, which is used by emacs.[*]  But I looked into providing a
>> complete build of mailutils and various subpackages along the lines of
>> Debian[**], and it turned out to be straightforward.  My cygport file
>> and patches are attached.  I ran the testsuite, and there were 42
>> failures and 3 skips out of 978 tests.  The failures ought to be looked
>> at, but I don't this is too bad.
>
> FWIW, even on Debian, the tests succeed until comsatd tests 2-7 all
> fail, at which point make check terminates.  So if those are your first
> failures, it may just be the testsuite.

No, the comsatd tests all pass.  The failures I'm seeing are in imap4d,
maidag, and sieve.  And for some reason that I haven't figured out, the
pop3d tests aren't run.  The tests use dejagnu, and they report that
runtest can't be found.  But there are other tests that use dejagnu and
do find runtest, so I'm puzzled.

> Not a full review, but noticed a few things:
>
>> libmailutils5_CONTENTS="
>>   --exclude=usr/bin/
>>   usr/bin/cyg*-5.dll
>>   usr/lib/mailutils/*.dll"
>
> What happens when a future version ships libmailutils6?  As is, the
> modules will collide.  Are the modules used by the libraries directly,
> or are they for the daemons?

The modules provide extensions to the Sieve mail-filtering language and
are used only by the latter.  They are apparently loaded on demand by
"require" statements in Sieve scripts.  Should I put them in a separate
subpackage (say, libmailutils-sieve-extensions)?

>> mailutils_mh_CONTENTS="
>>   usr/bin/mu-mh
>>   usr/share/mailutils/mh"
>
> A /usr/bin/mu-mh directory would violate the FHS (4.4.2: "There must be
> no subdirectories in /usr/bin.").  Depending on how these are used, one
> of /usr/{lib,libexec}/mu-mh would make more sense.

According to the Mailutils manual, "The primary aim of this
implementation is to provide an interface between Mailutils and Emacs
using mh-e module."  I've looked at Emacs's mh-e.el, and it expects to
find the programs in /usr/local/bin/mu-mh or /usr/bin/mu-mh.  So I think
we're stuck with this.  FWIW, Debian packages mailutils-mh the same way.

Thanks for looking at this.

Re: [HHITP] mailutils 3.2

Andrew Schulman

Re: [HHITP] mailutils 3.2

On 3/27/2017 4:55 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 3/27/2017 3:32 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> On 2017-03-24 14:54, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> This is a half-hearted ITP for GNU mailutils
>>> (https://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/mailutils.html).  I'd like some
>>> feedback before I proceed.
>>>
>>> My only interest in mailutils is that it provides a utility
>>> movemail.exe, which is used by emacs.[*]  But I looked into providing a
>>> complete build of mailutils and various subpackages along the lines of
>>> Debian[**], and it turned out to be straightforward.  My cygport file
>>> and patches are attached.  I ran the testsuite, and there were 42
>>> failures and 3 skips out of 978 tests.  The failures ought to be looked
>>> at, but I don't this is too bad.
>>
>> FWIW, even on Debian, the tests succeed until comsatd tests 2-7 all
>> fail, at which point make check terminates.  So if those are your first
>> failures, it may just be the testsuite.
>
> No, the comsatd tests all pass.  The failures I'm seeing are in imap4d,
> maidag, and sieve.  And for some reason that I haven't figured out, the
> pop3d tests aren't run.  The tests use dejagnu, and they report that
> runtest can't be found.

I found a workaround, and the pop3d tests now run and all 112 pass.  So
I'm feeling a little more confident that the build is OK.  I'll probably
send a real ITP within a few days.