HEADSUP: 64 bit Cygwin is coming soon

Corinna Vinschen-2
Hi guys,

for those of you not reading the cygwin-developers list:

while we're not yet ready for public, 64 bit Cygwin running natively
on 64 bit Windows on AMD64 is near.

We already have a tiny test distro available on
ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/, with packages you will have to
install by hand, for now.
First install the "base-cygwin-toolchain-install-first-$version.tar.xz"
package in some new directory (like C:\cygwin64).  Then unpack all other
tar archives you would like to try in that directory.  Just make sure
you're using the 'k' option to tar, for instance, from a 32 bit Cygwin
shell:

  $ pwd
  /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
  $ wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz
  [...]
  $ tar xJkf dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz

That's where we are, and as far as anybody can say right now, there
will *probably* be no more backward incompatible changes which require
to build everything from scratch.

The 64 bit distro will be entirely distinct from the 32 bit distro.  It
turned out that the interaction between 64 and 32 bit Cygwin processes
required to get everything working smoothly (tty handling, exexcve,
/proc, etc) would be so much work that it would took another couple of
months to get it working correctly.  So what we're now striving for is
to get the 64 bit distro up to speed in a relatively short time, so at
least the most important packages will exist in a 64 bit version.  If
you have 32 bit application which you can't recompile for some reason or
another, there will be no problem to run the 32 and the 64 bit distro in
parallel on the sam machine... provided it's a 64 bit AMD64 machine ;)

So, what does that mean for you maintainers?

Of course we would be glad if everybody of you would help creating all
packages for 32 and 64 bit.  Cygport will be a good help here since the
inofficial version from git already supports building 32 and 64 bit
packages.  Also, we're planning to create an x86_64-pc-cygwin cross
compiler for the 32 bit Cygwin environment, so even those only running a
32 bit version of Windows and no access to a 64 bit Windows can build 64
bit packages.

There's also the chance to run 64 bit Windows in VMs under 64 bit Linux,
if you have access to such a machine.  Microsoft provides ISOs of, for
instance, Windows 2012 R2 with a 180 days license, which are a pretty
good testbed for testing 64 bit versions of your packages.

Right now, this is only informational.  I'd be glad if you're as happy
as I am that 64 bit Cygwin is already working and hope you're willing to
support this distro.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: HEADSUP: 64 bit Cygwin is coming soon

> Hi guys,
>
> for those of you not reading the cygwin-developers list:
>
> while we're not yet ready for public, 64 bit Cygwin running natively
> on 64 bit Windows on AMD64 is near.
>
> We already have a tiny test distro available on
> ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/, with packages you will have to
> install by hand, for now.

ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/install/
                  ^^^
I assume

On Mar  6 19:34, marco atzeri wrote:

> On 3/6/2013 5:32 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >for those of you not reading the cygwin-developers list:
> >
> >while we're not yet ready for public, 64 bit Cygwin running natively
> >on 64 bit Windows on AMD64 is near.
> >
> >We already have a tiny test distro available on
> >ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/, with packages you will have to
> >install by hand, for now.
>
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/install/
>                  ^^^
> I assume

Right, sorry.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: HEADSUP: 64 bit Cygwin is coming soon

Andrew Schulman
> Right now, this is only informational.  I'd be glad if you're as happy
> as I am that 64 bit Cygwin is already working and hope you're willing to
> support this distro.

I am glad to see it.  Big thanks to the Cygwin team for working to make it
happen.

I'll be glad to support 32- and 64-bit flavors of my packages, assuming
that they build correctly in 64 bits, and that there are clear and
reasonably simple instructions for maintainers on how to provide both sets
of packages.  I don't know much about cross-compiling but can learn.

In my ideal world, I'd just set a global option in my ~/.cygport.conf, and
cygport would handle the rest for me, building 32- and 64-bit packages from
the same source and setup.hint.

Andrew

On Mar  7 13:20, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> > Right now, this is only informational.  I'd be glad if you're as happy
> > as I am that 64 bit Cygwin is already working and hope you're willing to
> > support this distro.
>
> I am glad to see it.  Big thanks to the Cygwin team for working to make it
> happen.
>
> I'll be glad to support 32- and 64-bit flavors of my packages, assuming
> that they build correctly in 64 bits, and that there are clear and
> reasonably simple instructions for maintainers on how to provide both sets
> of packages.  I don't know much about cross-compiling but can learn.
>
> In my ideal world, I'd just set a global option in my ~/.cygport.conf, and
> cygport would handle the rest for me, building 32- and 64-bit packages from
> the same source and setup.hint.

Yaakov implemented --32 and --64 as cygport options, which then change
the build target accordingly.  That's a very good start I think.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: HEADSUP: 64 bit Cygwin is coming soon

Bob Heckel
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> First install the "base-cygwin-toolchain-install-first-$version.tar.xz"
> package in some new directory (like C:\cygwin64).  Then unpack all other
> tar archives you would like to try in that directory.  Just make sure
> you're using the 'k' option to tar, for instance, from a 32 bit Cygwin
> shell:
>
>   $ pwd
>   /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
>   $ wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz
>   [...]
>   $ tar xJkf dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz

Hi, I'm getting an error:

No such file `dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz'

Did it move?  Thanks.

On Mar 20 18:04, Bob Heckel wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > First install the "base-cygwin-toolchain-install-first-$version.tar.xz"
> > package in some new directory (like C:\cygwin64).  Then unpack all other
> > tar archives you would like to try in that directory.  Just make sure
> > you're using the 'k' option to tar, for instance, from a 32 bit Cygwin
> > shell:
> >
> >   $ pwd
> >   /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
> >   $ wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz
> >   [...]
> >   $ tar xJkf dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz
>
> Hi, I'm getting an error:
>
> No such file `dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz'
>
> Did it move?  Thanks.

Yes.  We have gradually moved all to an 64bit/release dir, which is a
release area compatible with setup.  Unfortunately upset isn't running
yet and a setup64 is missing, too.

What's also missing so far is coreutils and mintty.  Both packages are
still in 64bit/install.  I'm planning to create a new coreutils package
for the 64bit/release area today, though.

Here's how you can install 64 bit cygwin from 32 bit cygwin without the
base-cygwin-toolchain package for now:

- Download the release area.  It's not that big yet, and it allows
  you to install all packages locally:

  mkdir /tmp/64bit-release
  cd /tmp/64bit-release
  rsync -av rsync://cygwin.com/ftp/cygwin/64bit/release/ .
  [...wait...]

  Additionally fetch coreutils and mintty:

  wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/coreutils-8.15-1.x86_64.tar.xz
  wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/mintty-trunk-r1306.x86_64.tar.xz

- Set up the 64 bit dir:

  $ mkdir -p /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
  $ cd /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
  $ mkdir -p dev etc bin lib usr home/$USER var
  $ cd usr
  $ ln -s ../bin bin
  $ ln -s ../lib lib
  $ cd ..

- Now you're in the new 64 bit root dir.  From here, run this script:

    #!/bin/bash
    olddir=""
    for i in $(find "/tmp/64bit-release -type f -name '*.tar.bz2' \! -name ' *-src.tar.bz2' \! -name '*-debuginfo-*.tar.bz2' | sort -r)
    do
      dir="$(dirname $i)"
      [ "$dir" != "$olddir" ] && echo tar xjkf $i && tar xjkf $i
      olddir="$dir"
    done
    tar xJkf /tmp/64bit-release/coreutils-8.15-1.x86_64.tar.xz
    tar xJkf /tmp/64bit-release/mintty-trunk-r1306.x86_64.tar.xz

- Copy your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files from the 32 bit distro into
  the etc dir in the 64 bit dir.  Copy your startup and config files
  from your 32 bit dir to your new 64 bit home dir, as created in the
  first step.

- Start a 64 bit shell.  Run the scripts from /etc/postinstall and
  ignore error messages for now.  Copy your desktop "Cygwin Terminal"
  icon and tweak the path to mintty and the working directory in the
  link properties.  Now you should be set up.

HTH,

On Mar 21 10:12, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar 20 18:04, Bob Heckel wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > [old stuff]
> What's also missing so far is coreutils and mintty.  Both packages are
> still in 64bit/install.  I'm planning to create a new coreutils package
> for the 64bit/release area today, though.
>
> Here's how you can install 64 bit cygwin from 32 bit cygwin without the
> base-cygwin-toolchain package for now:
>
> - Download the release area.  It's not that big yet, and it allows
>   you to install all packages locally:
>
>   mkdir /tmp/64bit-release
>   cd /tmp/64bit-release
>   rsync -av rsync://cygwin.com/ftp/cygwin/64bit/release/ .
>   [...wait...]
>
>   Additionally fetch coreutils and mintty:
>
>   wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/coreutils-8.15-1.x86_64.tar.xz

I just uploaded a coreutils package to the release area.  It's based
on the latest coreutils-6.22.  I did not apply Eric's patches from the
32 bit 6.15 release, because they didn't apply cleanly, and some of
them seem to be not necessary anymore.  If you encounter problems
with this package, it's probably due to either case insensitivity
issues, or the fact that "/" and "//" are different on Cygwin.

Eric, any chance to grab my coreutils-6.22-1-src.tar.bz2 package and
see how your patches still are required?

On Mar 21 13:17, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar 21 10:12, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Mar 20 18:04, Bob Heckel wrote:
> > > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > [old stuff]
> > What's also missing so far is coreutils and mintty.  Both packages are
> > still in 64bit/install.  I'm planning to create a new coreutils package
> > for the 64bit/release area today, though.
> >
> > Here's how you can install 64 bit cygwin from 32 bit cygwin without the
> > base-cygwin-toolchain package for now:
> >
> > - Download the release area.  It's not that big yet, and it allows
> >   you to install all packages locally:
> >
> >   mkdir /tmp/64bit-release
> >   cd /tmp/64bit-release
> >   rsync -av rsync://cygwin.com/ftp/cygwin/64bit/release/ .
> >   [...wait...]
> >
> >   Additionally fetch coreutils and mintty:
> >
> >   wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/coreutils-8.15-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>
> I just uploaded a coreutils package to the release area.  It's based
> on the latest coreutils-6.22.  I did not apply Eric's patches from the
> 32 bit 6.15 release, because they didn't apply cleanly, and some of
> them seem to be not necessary anymore.  If you encounter problems
> with this package, it's probably due to either case insensitivity
> issues, or the fact that "/" and "//" are different on Cygwin.
>
> Eric, any chance to grab my coreutils-6.22-1-src.tar.bz2 package and
> see how your patches still are required?

Hang on.  What have I done?  6.22?!?  I grabed a stone age old version
accidentally!  Sorry about that.  I'll try to come up with a 8.21
version later today...

On Mar 21 13:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar 21 13:17, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > What's also missing so far is coreutils and mintty.  Both packages are
> > > still in 64bit/install.  I'm planning to create a new coreutils package
> > > for the 64bit/release area today, though.
> > >
> > > Here's how you can install 64 bit cygwin from 32 bit cygwin without the
> > > base-cygwin-toolchain package for now:
> > >
> > > - Download the release area.  It's not that big yet, and it allows
> > >   you to install all packages locally:
> > >
> > >   mkdir /tmp/64bit-release
> > >   cd /tmp/64bit-release
> > >   rsync -av rsync://cygwin.com/ftp/cygwin/64bit/release/ .
> > >   [...wait...]
> > >
> > >   Additionally fetch coreutils and mintty:
> > >
> > >   wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/coreutils-8.15-1.x86_64.tar.xz
> >
> > I just uploaded a coreutils package to the release area.  It's based
> > on the latest coreutils-6.22.  I did not apply Eric's patches from the
> > 32 bit 6.15 release, because they didn't apply cleanly, and some of
> > them seem to be not necessary anymore.  If you encounter problems
> > with this package, it's probably due to either case insensitivity
> > issues, or the fact that "/" and "//" are different on Cygwin.
> >
> > Eric, any chance to grab my coreutils-6.22-1-src.tar.bz2 package and
> > see how your patches still are required?
>
> Hang on.  What have I done?  6.22?!?  I grabed a stone age old version
> accidentally!  Sorry about that.  I'll try to come up with a 8.21
> version later today...

Boy, I don't even get the numbers right.  It was 6.12, not 6.22.
Anyway, it's old.

Greetings from the valley of the ultimately confused,

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat