Exim / cron question

Joost Kraaijeveld
Hi,

I want cron to deliver an e-mail throught exim to an Exchange server,
running on the same machine.

If I use MAILTO="user@remote_domain,user" in my crontab, both the remote
and the local user get the mail which is delivered in /var/mail/spool.

If I use MAILTO="user@remote_domain,user@local_domain", the remote user
still gets his e-mail, but the mail the user@local_domain is not
delivered to the local running Exchange server. The exim logfile shows
"user@local_domain R=nslookup defer (-1) : remote host address is the
local host" and the next line say "Frozen"

I have read the docs but I still do not understand how to make exim
deliver the mail for the user@local_domain at the local exchange server.
Can anyone help me with this? What should I do to make this work?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: Exim / cron question

René Berber-2
Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> I want cron to deliver an e-mail throught exim to an Exchange server,
> running on the same machine.

But using different smtp ports... or listening to different IP addresses?

> If I use MAILTO="user@remote_domain,user" in my crontab, both the remote
> and the local user get the mail which is delivered in /var/mail/spool.
>
> If I use MAILTO="user@remote_domain,user@local_domain", the remote user
> still gets his e-mail, but the mail the user@local_domain is not
> delivered to the local running Exchange server. The exim logfile shows
> "user@local_domain R=nslookup defer (-1) : remote host address is the
> local host" and the next line say "Frozen"

Perhaps with a specific route for your local_domain in exim.conf, something like:

local_route:
   driver = manualroute
   transport = remote_smtp
   route_list = \
        local_domain   exchange.mail.server

replace local_domain with the real domain, and exchange.mail.server with the address and port (if different than smtp).

This rules has to go before the dnslookup one.

> I have read the docs but I still do not understand how to make exim
> deliver the mail for the user@local_domain at the local exchange server.
> Can anyone help me with this? What should I do to make this work?

I haven't tested something like this, but the route_list is something I use to avoid the bounced mails from some servers that don't like my dynamic IP address.
--
René Berber

RE: Exim / cron question

David Christensen
Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> I want cron to deliver an e-mail throught exim to an Exchange server,
> running on the same machine.

I used to run a Windows 2003 Small Business Server with Exchange, and
was having a tough time with Exchange, Cygwin Exim, and Cygwin email.  I
seem to recall my work-around was to only install Cygwin email (my
script called email) and to configure Cygwin email to send mail via an
SMTP host (rather than sendmail/ exim link).

HTH,

David