Error running ssh windows binary in cygwin

Error running ssh windows binary in cygwin

ravi r
Downloading windows git binary from
       https://git-scm.com/download/win
                          Git-2.25.0-64-bit.exe
and running the contained
       Git/usr/bin/ssh.exe
in a cygwin terminal gives this error
      0 [main] ssh (20916) C:\cygwin64\usr\local\git\usr\bin\ssh.exe: *** fatal
      error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x18033F408/0x180317408.
      This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of
the cygwin DLL.
      Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
      and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent
version *should*
      reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
      installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
      are unable to find another cygwin DLL.

Following directions mentioned in above error message, when I search for
     cygwin1.dll
I find two matches
    c:\cygwin64\bin
    and
    c:\cygwin64\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\sys-root\usr\bin

Went ahead and deleted
    c:\cygwin64\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\sys-root\usr\bin\cygwin1.dll
opened a new cygwin terminal and the error from ssh.exe would not go away.

I know there is a version of git available through cygwin install as
well which does not
have these errors. The git.exe which got installed from windows binary
does not have
any error in starting up. It is the ssh.exe which comes along with it
which has the problem.

Re: Error running ssh windows binary in cygwin

marco atzeri-4
Am 22.01.2020 um 23:30 schrieb ravi r:

> Downloading windows git binary from
>         https://git-scm.com/download/win
>                            Git-2.25.0-64-bit.exe
> and running the contained
>         Git/usr/bin/ssh.exe
> in a cygwin terminal gives this error
>        0 [main] ssh (20916) C:\cygwin64\usr\local\git\usr\bin\ssh.exe: *** fatal
>        error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x18033F408/0x180317408.
>        This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of
> the cygwin DLL.
>        Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
>        and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent
> version *should*
>        reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
>        installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
>        are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
>
> Following directions mentioned in above error message, when I search for
>       cygwin1.dll
> I find two matches
>      c:\cygwin64\bin
>      and
>      c:\cygwin64\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\sys-root\usr\bin

the first is a 64 bit and the second a 32bit used for cross compilation.
Have you installed every package available ? Why ?

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.everything

> Went ahead and deleted
>      c:\cygwin64\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\sys-root\usr\bin\cygwin1.dll
> opened a new cygwin terminal and the error from ssh.exe would not go away.
>
> I know there is a version of git available through cygwin install as
> well which does not
> have these errors. The git.exe which got installed from windows binary
> does not have
> any error in starting up. It is the ssh.exe which comes along with it
> which has the problem.

Have you tried the ssh coming with Cygwin ?

Re: Error running ssh windows binary in cygwin

ASSI
ravi r writes:
> Following directions mentioned in above error message, when I search for
>      cygwin1.dll
> I find two matches
>     c:\cygwin64\bin
>     and
>     c:\cygwin64\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\sys-root\usr\bin

The latter would be the Cygwin DLL for the 32bit cross compilation toolchain.

> Went ahead and deleted
>     c:\cygwin64\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\sys-root\usr\bin\cygwin1.dll
> opened a new cygwin terminal and the error from ssh.exe would not go away.

Why would you have this directory in PATH in the first place?

> I know there is a version of git available through cygwin install as
> well which does not have these errors. The git.exe which got installed
> from windows binary does not have any error in starting up. It is the
> ssh.exe which comes along with it which has the problem.

Again, if you have different installations on the same system, you
should have only one of them in PATH at any given time.  Also, Git for
Cygwin uses MSys2, not Cygwin; so again it is unclear if you really ran
the MSys2 ssh, it should not have looked for a cygwin1.dll.