Enscript error with passwd uid field (enscript-1.6.3-3)

Enscript error with passwd uid field (enscript-1.6.3-3)

Jurgen Defurne
Hello,

I just installed enscript in the most current Cygwin
environment (stable), end I get the following error
when starting it.

        enscript: kan geen wachtwoord vinden voor uid=45056: No error

This is Dutch, when translating I expect to get something like :

        enscript: cannot find password for uid=45056: No error

My generated passwd file however, contains 176128, not 45046.

By replacing the former uid with the latter, the problem is solved.

However, should this still be necessary ? I thought that a long
time ago this problem was solved ?

Regards,

Jurgen Defurne

Re: Enscript error with passwd uid field (enscript-1.6.3-3)

Brian Dessent
Jurgen Defurne wrote:

>         enscript: cannot find password for uid=45056: No error
>
> My generated passwd file however, contains 176128, not 45046.
>
> By replacing the former uid with the latter, the problem is solved.
>
> However, should this still be necessary ? I thought that a long
> time ago this problem was solved ?

176128 modulus 2**16 equals 45046.  So indeed it would seem that what
you're seeing is a symptom of using an unsigned short for uid_t instead
of unsigned long.

It looks like preliminary support for 32 bit uid_t began around
2002-02-09:
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2002-q1/msg00131.html>.  The
release notes for 1.3.11 mentions this as well on 2002-05-23:
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-06/msg00012.html>.  I
don't know when "the switchover" actually happened and uid_t actually
officially became unsigned long.  But the enscript binary is dated
2002-08-25, which very well could have been prior to that time.

So probably just rebuilding enscript without any other changes would fix
the problem.

Brian

On Nov 23 11:44, Jurgen Defurne wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed enscript in the most current Cygwin
> environment (stable), end I get the following error
> when starting it.
>
>         enscript: kan geen wachtwoord vinden voor uid=45056: No error
>
> This is Dutch, when translating I expect to get something like :
>
>         enscript: cannot find password for uid=45056: No error
>
> My generated passwd file however, contains 176128, not 45046.
>
> By replacing the former uid with the latter, the problem is solved.
>
> However, should this still be necessary ? I thought that a long
> time ago this problem was solved ?

Enscript hasn't been updated for three years now.  It still expects
uids and gids being only 16 bit, that explains the above values.

Gerrit?  Ping?

Red Hat, Inc.

On Nov 23 03:22, Brian Dessent wrote:
> It looks like preliminary support for 32 bit uid_t began around
> 2002-02-09:
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2002-q1/msg00131.html>.  The
> release notes for 1.3.11 mentions this as well on 2002-05-23:
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-06/msg00012.html>.  I
> don't know when "the switchover" actually happened and uid_t actually
> officially became unsigned long.

With 1.5.0, whenever that was :-)

Red Hat, Inc.

lpr error (Was :Re: Enscript error with passwd uid field (enscript-1.6.3-3))

Jurgen Defurne
I do have a real problem, but not with enscript, but with accessing
the printers.

In the past, I could set PRINTER to //server/printershare, and use
enscript and lpr to print out my jobs.

If I try to print now, I get the following message from lpr :
        lpr: printer error: can't open '\\beqbrgbrg1ms0p1\psbe31.lnk' for
writing: The printer name is invalid.

Upon further investigation, it seems that I cannot contact any
printers anymore from cygwin upon our print server, but I
can see those printers from my explorer.

Ie. If I do 'ls //server' I should probably see the printer shares,
like any other share on the same server.

Any ideas ?

Jurgen

Jurgen Defurne <[hidden email]>
Sent by:
Please respond to
Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS@PHILIPS

cc

Subject
Enscript error with passwd uid field (enscript-1.6.3-3)
Classification

Hello,

I just installed enscript in the most current Cygwin
environment (stable), end I get the following error
when starting it.

        enscript: kan geen wachtwoord vinden voor uid=45056: No error

This is Dutch, when translating I expect to get something like :

        enscript: cannot find password for uid=45056: No error

My generated passwd file however, contains 176128, not 45046.

By replacing the former uid with the latter, the problem is solved.

However, should this still be necessary ? I thought that a long
time ago this problem was solved ?

Regards,

Jurgen Defurne

Re: lpr error (Was :Re: Enscript error with passwd uid field (enscript-1.6.3-3))

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 23 12:49, Jurgen Defurne wrote:

> I do have a real problem, but not with enscript, but with accessing
> the printers.
>
> In the past, I could set PRINTER to //server/printershare, and use
> enscript and lpr to print out my jobs.
>
> If I try to print now, I get the following message from lpr :
>         lpr: printer error: can't open '\\beqbrgbrg1ms0p1\psbe31.lnk' for
> writing: The printer name is invalid.
>
> Upon further investigation, it seems that I cannot contact any
> printers anymore from cygwin upon our print server, but I
> can see those printers from my explorer.
>
> Ie. If I do 'ls //server' I should probably see the printer shares,
> like any other share on the same server.

No, the shares under //server are only of type disk, not type printer.

Contacting the printer using the above $PRINTER variable should work in
the snapshots.  Please try the latest one from
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Red Hat, Inc.

Re: lpr error (Was :Re: Enscript error with passwd uid field (enscript-1.6.3-3))

Jurgen Defurne
Unfortunately, it doesn't. I am using the 20051117 snapshot
from the cygwin1.dll, but I still get the same error.

It's not critical, but printing using enscript is easier
than pointing and clicking in the explorer.

Btw. I compiled enscript 1.6.3-9 and the uid error
is gone.

Regards,

Jurgen

Corinna Vinschen <[hidden email]>
Sent by:
Please respond to

cc

Subject

On Nov 23 14:36, Jurgen Defurne wrote:
> Unfortunately, it doesn't. I am using the 20051117 snapshot
> from the cygwin1.dll, but I still get the same error.

Hmm, works for me.  I just tried it.

Red Hat, Inc.

Cygwin and (Linux or Unix) env: running applications

Aldi Kraja

1. I have set two symbolic links under the /usr/local/bin/
for SAS (sas) and SPLUS (splus70) for windows (Two statistical packages
that reside in my desktop with Microsoft XP OS).

2. In advance I start the x-win by the "startx" in cygwin. (cygwin/X
Project, release 6.8.2.0-2)

3. under a directory "splus_test" I have a tiny program in SAS that
writes a program test (batch.txt) for SPLUS.

4. to execute the program for SPLUS I apply the following:

splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err

It works fine. The program does the work in SPLUS.

When I use SAS to invoke the same command:
%sysexec splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err ;

or
X 'splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err';

or
call system('splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err');

cygwin responds with a window at C:\ WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

'splus70' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable
program or batch file
c:\aldi2\splus_test>

Do you know if cygwin is providing a different general path to the
programs such as SAS?
Any suggestions how can I tell SAS that "splus70" is present in the
general path of cygwin?

TIA for any suggestions,

Aldi

Re: Cygwin and (Linux or Unix) env: running applications

Igor Peshansky
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Aldi Kraja wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. I have set two symbolic links under the /usr/local/bin/
> for SAS (sas) and SPLUS (splus70) for windows (Two statistical packages that
> reside in my desktop with Microsoft XP OS).
> [snip]
>
> When I use SAS to invoke the same command:
> %sysexec splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
> c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err ;
>
> or
> X 'splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
> c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err';
>
> or
> call system('splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
> c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err');
>
> cygwin responds with a window at C:\ WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
>
> 'splus70' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file
> c:\aldi2\splus_test>
>
> Do you know if cygwin is providing a different general path to the
> programs such as SAS?
> Any suggestions how can I tell SAS that "splus70" is present in the
> general path of cygwin?

First off, please don't hijack an unrelated thread for your questions --
if you have a separate question, please start a new thread.
Secondly, Windows programs (like SAS) don't understand Cygwin symlinks.
Either let SAS know where the real SPLUS lives, or spawn a Cygwin process
that will understand the symlink (e.g., something like

call system('bash -c "splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt
c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err"');

).
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_ [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

Re: Cygwin and (Linux or Unix) env: running applications

Aldi Kraja
Thank you Igor,

Your suggestion was good, but did not resolve the problem. Somehow SAS
was still missing the command by not invoking the symbolic links. After
many trials here is the solution in case someone else has a similar problem:

Through SAS I created a run.sh file in which I added the following lines:

#! /usr/bin/tcsh

### run.sh file

splus70 /BATCH c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.txt c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.out c:\\aldi2\\splus_test\\batch.err

In SAS under a macro I do the following:

%sysexec chmod +x c:\aldi2\splus_test\run.sh;

%syexec tcsh c:\aldi2\splus_test\run.sh ;

Now SAS and Splus can run automatically in batch mode in my PC under
cygwin by recognizing cygwin symbolic links.
Best,

Aldi