Differences in emacsclient-w32 and emacs-w32

Differences in emacsclient-w32 and emacs-w32

Josh Hunsaker
I am having a problem opening files in emacs from Windows, and I think
that the cygwin build of emacs is causing the problem.

I have an "Edit" option in my windows context menu that sends files to
emacs via a registry key with value:

C:\cygwin\bin\emacsclient-w32.exe "%1"

If I have no open instance of emacs, then it will be opened, and the
file will load into a new buffer as expected.  I can also repeat this
action for many files, and each will load into its own buffer in the
current emacs instance, as expected.

By contrast, if I start emacs with emacs-w32.exe, whether from the
terminal or by clicking the icon, I am unable to open files from the
context menu.  Instead, a new _empty_ buffer is created with a name
like "F:\Users\nispio\.emacs".  The value of 'buffer-file-name' for
this empty buffer is
"/cygdrive/f/Users/nispio/F:\\Users\\nispio\\.emacs"

I cannot reproduce this problem in the standalone Windows emacs build
from ftp.gnu.org. The binaries emacs.exe and emacsclientw.exe work as
expected in that build.  For now, I have a reasonable workaround in
that I can create my first instance of emacs by opening a file from
the context menu.  However, after that if I want to open a file from
the command-line I have to use

$ emacsclient-w32 `cygpath -w ~/.emacs`

or else I get a similar problem as mentioned above, but in reverse.
Is there any way that I can correct this so that I can more
efficiently open files in emacs from both the command line and Windows
Explorer?

Re: Differences in emacsclient-w32 and emacs-w32

Arthur Tu
I have a registry file which works fine.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\openWithEmacs]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\openWithEmacs\command]
    @="C:\\cygwin\\bin\\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
    \"/usr/bin/emacsclient-w32.exe -c \\\"%1\\\" -a \\\"\\\"\""

Do notice that this only works with run version 1.29. I don't have time
to fix the incompatibility with latest run 1.30.