Date of first Cygwin release / 25th Anniversary

Cygwin list mailing list
Cygwin started in 1995. [1] Does anybody know the date of the first
release? I recognize that there may be no definitive answer, depending on
how one defines "release."

In any case, happy 25th anniversary, Cygwin! Thanks to everybody who made
it and continues to make it possible.

-David

[1]
https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt98/full_papers/noer/noer_html/noer.html
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

RE: Date of first Cygwin release / 25th Anniversary

Cygwin list mailing list

Oct 18.  See https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-talk/2005q4/001601.html

- Barry

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 02:33:13 PM EDT, David Eisner via Cygwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In any case, happy 25th anniversary, Cygwin! Thanks to everybody who made it and continues to make it possible.
I purchased the 1.0 release CD in 1999:
https://imgur.com/2UnLDhk

Cygwin has been my development environment since nearly the start of the project.
Kevin
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Date of first Cygwin release / 25th Anniversary

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 3:18 PM Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] via
Cygwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Well there you go. Thanks! Glad I didn't miss it. I've made a note to have
a celebratory slice of cake on October 18th.

-David
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Date of first Cygwin release / 25th Anniversary

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 21:17, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] via
Cygwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

U+1F389, Cygwin

--
You can get very substantial performance improvements
by not doing the right thing. - Scott Meyers, An Effective C++11/14 Sampler

On 2020-09-23 13:16, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 2:33 PM, David Eisner wrote:
>> Cygwin started in 1995.[1] Does anybody know the date of the first release?
>> I recognize that there may be no definitive answer, depending on how one
>> defines "release."
>>
>> In any case, happy 25th anniversary, Cygwin! Thanks to everybody who made
>> it and continues to make it possible.
>>
>> [1] https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt98/full_papers/noer/noer_html/noer.html

> Oct 18.  See https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-talk/2005q4/001601.html

Schedule to watch the following on the 18th next month in celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlnV6_uaK4 🥳🎉🙌🎂🕯

[Custom, possibly Outlook-compatible, follow up email headers @ noon CA, US]

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:45 AM Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2020-09-23 13:16, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 2:33 PM, David Eisner wrote:
> >> Cygwin started in 1995.[1] Does anybody know the date of the first release?
> >> I recognize that there may be no definitive answer, depending on how one
> >> defines "release."
> >>
> >> In any case, happy 25th anniversary, Cygwin! Thanks to everybody who made
> >> it and continues to make it possible.
> >>
> >> [1] https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt98/full_papers/noer/noer_html/noer.html
>
> > Oct 18.  See https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-talk/2005q4/001601.html
>
> Schedule to watch the following on the 18th next month in celebration:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlnV6_uaK4 🥳
>
> [Custom, possibly Outlook-compatible, follow up email headers @ noon CA, US]
>
> --
> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>
> This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
> too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
> [Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]
> --

My work PC would be useless without cygwin. Thanks and happy birthday!

On Sep 23 19:53, Kevin Schnitzius via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 02:33:13 PM EDT, David Eisner via Cygwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In any case, happy 25th anniversary, Cygwin! Thanks to everybody who made it and continues to make it possible.
> I purchased the 1.0 release CD in 1999:
> https://imgur.com/2UnLDhk

I still have a shrink-wrapped 1.0 package, never opened since we had two
of them.  This pristine copy is probably worth millions now!1!11

Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

RE: Date of first Cygwin release / 25th Anniversary

Cygwin list mailing list

I have a book to go with the CD:
https://imgur.com/jiAll5X

My un-used registration code expired 24 years and 11 months ago!

Congrats on the 25th Cygwin and contributors,

/allen

________________________________

Disclaimer Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, and any attachments and/or documents linked to this email, are intended for the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited. This notice serves as a confidentiality marking for the purpose of any confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the original sender.
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Date of first Cygwin release / 25th Anniversary

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 2:51 PM Corinna Vinschen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sep 23 19:53, Kevin Schnitzius via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 02:33:13 PM EDT, David Eisner via
> Cygwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > In any case, happy 25th anniversary, Cygwin! Thanks to everybody who
> made it and continues to make it possible.
> > I purchased the 1.0 release CD in 1999:
> > https://imgur.com/2UnLDhk
>
> I still have a shrink-wrapped 1.0 package, never opened since we had two
> of them.  This pristine copy is probably worth millions now!1!11

Don't spend it all at once. Happy official birthday, Cygwin! I don't have
cake after all, but I am noshing on some lemon cookie thins.

Thanks again, everybody.

-David