Cygwin setup doesn't resume failed downloads

Cygwin setup doesn't resume failed downloads

peterl2002se
Hello,
When trying to download the packages from, in my case, ftp.sunet.se I
get often a ftp connection error. It could be that ftp.sunet.se is
limited on the number of concurrently conneced anonmous ftp users.

The progress downloads several packages, then says connecting and stops.
At that time I can connect with a parallel ftp client so it doesn't look
like it is retrying.

After a long time I get back to mirror select dialog. Selecting same
mirror doesn't work, but any other works.

Setup 2.510.2.2 (Install from Internet)

Regards
/Peter Liedholm

Re: Cygwin setup doesn't resume failed downloads

Igor Peshansky
On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, peterl2002se wrote:

> Hello,
> When trying to download the packages from, in my case, ftp.sunet.se I
> get often a ftp connection error. It could be that ftp.sunet.se is
> limited on the number of concurrently conneced anonmous ftp users.
>
> The progress downloads several packages, then says connecting and stops.
> At that time I can connect with a parallel ftp client so it doesn't look
> like it is retrying.
>
> After a long time I get back to mirror select dialog. Selecting same
> mirror doesn't work, but any other works.
>
> Setup 2.510.2.2 (Install from Internet)

At a guess, you're seeing the problem I addressed in CVS recently.  It's
not that the setup you're using doesn't reconnect after an error, it's
that it won't reconnect to a timed-out FTP server, period.

Please try the setup snapshot at
<http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe>, and post
back with results.
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_ [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, peterl2002se wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>When trying to download the packages from, in my case, ftp.sunet.se I
>>get often a ftp connection error. It could be that ftp.sunet.se is
>>limited on the number of concurrently conneced anonmous ftp users.
>>
>>The progress downloads several packages, then says connecting and stops.
>>At that time I can connect with a parallel ftp client so it doesn't look
>>like it is retrying.
>>
>>After a long time I get back to mirror select dialog. Selecting same
>>mirror doesn't work, but any other works.
>>
>>Setup 2.510.2.2 (Install from Internet)
>>

>At a guess, you're seeing the problem I addressed in CVS recently.  It's
>not that the setup you're using doesn't reconnect after an error, it's
>that it won't reconnect to a timed-out FTP server, period.
>
>Please try the setup snapshot at
><http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe>, and post
>back with results.
>HTH,
> Igor

I tried the new setup above with the same result. Maybe the problem is
specific to the ftp.sunet.se mirror, downloading stopped at package:
libintl3-0.14.1-1.tar.bz2. When choosing ftp.uni-erlangen.de setup
resumed download.

Regards
/Peter Liedholm