Cygwin install changing permissions

Debbie Tropiano
Hello -

We have Cygwin installed on several XP systems which we've done
via a CD built from the download (the installed systems are on
a private network and thus cannot be loaded from the internet).
However on the latest install we noted a problem.

It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and
then install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator
on many of the critical file folders.   We did not receive an uninstall
executable to undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from
scratch and reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."

Apparently the permissions were changed such that it was not possible to
install any additional software or make other configuration changes.

Is this a known problem?  Is it a version specific thing and we should
generate a new install CD from a newer version of Cygwin?  Also is there
a better mechanism for installing Cygwin on a system that isn't (and can't)
be connected to the internet?

Thanks for any assistance,
Debbie

PS  I followed the method that the Carleton Physics department folks did
to create the install CD.
--
| Debbie Tropiano                            |  [hidden email]   |
| Environmental Sciences Laboratory          |     +1 512 835 3367 w       |

Re: Cygwin install changing permissions

René Berber-2
Debbie Tropiano wrote:
[snip]
> It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and
> then install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator
> on many of the critical file folders.   We did not receive an uninstall
> executable to undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from
> scratch and reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."

Bad report, many of us have Windows XP sp2 and Cygwin working fine, and since
Cygwin's installation doesn't change _anything_ of the Administrator user it is
unlikely that Cygwin will do what is described.

You'll have to look closer to what they did, what user was loged in to install
Cygwin, what else did that user do, what are the "critical file folders" they
refer to.

Your procedure seems fine, you can install from a CD that contains a repository
of the packages and the setup.exe installer.  Then follow a few simple
instructions to use the CD instead of a network connection and select first the
basic packages (nothing to select really, just finish the installation) and any
other packages wanted.  To really finish the installation they'll probably have
to run some scripts (openssh, inetools, etc. have those requirements).

HTH
--
René Berber

Re: Cygwin install changing permissions

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 11/28/2005, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
> It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and then
> install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator on many
> of the critical file folders. We did not receive an uninstall executable to
> undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from scratch and
> reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."

I think it's fair to say that this problem report lacks enough specificity
to speculate with much certainty as to why someone would encounter this
difficulty.  It would at least be helpful to know what the person reporting
this problem means by "lock out permissions to the Administrator on many
of the critical file folders."  Since an installation of Cygwin only operates
on folders created during the installation, it's hard to imagine how it
could cause the problems reported.  Of course, the devil is in the details
so it's best to start with those.  The setup.log* files may prove to be
instructive and certainly the cygcheck output as specified by
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> would be helpful.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office

Re: Cygwin install changing permissions

Debbie Tropiano
Larry -

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:15:38PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 11/28/2005, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
> >It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and then
> >install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator on many
> >of the critical file folders. We did not receive an uninstall executable
> >to undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from scratch and
> >reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."
>
> I think it's fair to say that this problem report lacks enough specificity
> to speculate with much certainty as to why someone would encounter this
> difficulty.  ...

Thanks.  I was afraid of that, but it was all the information that I was
given and then the system was re-installed (without Cygwin).  I'll see
if I can figure out more about what happens with the installs when I have
time, but I'm not optimistic about it (I'm a *nix sysadmin and am trying
to understand Windows but don't have much time to spend doing so).

Debbie

Debbie Tropiano wrote:

> Larry -
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:15:38PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>
>>On 11/28/2005, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
>>
>>>It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and then
>>>install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator on many
>>>of the critical file folders. We did not receive an uninstall executable
>>>to undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from scratch and
>>>reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."
>>
>>I think it's fair to say that this problem report lacks enough specificity
>>to speculate with much certainty as to why someone would encounter this
>>difficulty.  ...
>

> Thanks.  I was afraid of that, but it was all the information that I was
> given and then the system was re-installed (without Cygwin).  I'll see
> if I can figure out more about what happens with the installs when I have
> time, but I'm not optimistic about it (I'm a *nix sysadmin and am trying
> to understand Windows but don't have much time to spend doing so).

Understood.  From what you described, there wasn't anything obviously
wrong with the install process used.  There's a chance that the installation
media itself is bad somehow, though I do think it's pretty remote that it
would cause the problems reported.  In any case, I think you can gather
from this that the reported results are not the expected ones from an
ordinary Cygwin (off-line) install.  If you find it is reproducible somehow,
then we're certainly interested in the details.

Good luck. :-)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 05:30:38PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Understood.  From what you described, there wasn't anything obviously
> wrong with the install process used.  There's a chance that the installation
> media itself is bad somehow, though I do think it's pretty remote that it
> would cause the problems reported. ...

Especially since that same install CD was used to install Cygwin on
several other XP systems without seeing the same results.

>...In any case, I think you can gather
> from this that the reported results are not the expected ones from an
> ordinary Cygwin (off-line) install.  If you find it is reproducible somehow,
> then we're certainly interested in the details.

I'll let you know, but it'll be a while....

Thanks for the help,
Debbie