Cygwin connection closing running on Server 2003

Cygwin connection closing running on Server 2003

Jack Romano
I am running Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows Sever 2003 with all current
updates. My problem pertains to OpenSSH 4.2p1-1. I ran the setup script
for OpenSSH and used the tool to import my Windows users. I am able to
connect to the server both locally and from other machine and am
prompted for my password. When I give an erroneous password I am told
so. When I give a correct password I am given the "Last Login:..."
message (which is correct) but then immediatly "Connection to localhost
closed." (localhost replaced by the server name when not connecting
locally) and an error 255. This happens for all users (including the
Administrator user) and locally and remotely. I have noticed that if
after I submit my password I start tapping keys quickly the connection
stays open untill I stop -- even for a fraction of a second. I have
reinstalled OpenSSH and then Cygwin to no avail.

I have attached the verbose output of the ssh connection to the server.
The OpenSSH log does not log this failure.

Any insight would be appreciated.
--jack romano

Administrator@2003-test ~
$ ssh -vvv localhost
OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '2048'
debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug1: identity file /home/Administrator/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_4.2
debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.2 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.2
debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour128,arcfour256,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-
cbc,[hidden email],aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour128,arcfour256,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-
cbc,[hidden email],aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,[hidden email],hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,[hidden email],hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,[hidden email],zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,[hidden email],zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0
[...]
debug2: mac_init: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug2: mac_init: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug2: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 140/256
debug2: bits set: 492/1024
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename
/home/Administrator/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 2
debug1: Host 'localhost' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/Administrator/.ssh/known_hosts:2
debug2: bits set: 520/1024
debug2: kex_derive_keys
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug2: key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/identity (0x0)
debug2: key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_rsa (0x0)
debug2: key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa (0x0)
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug3: start over, passed a different list
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/identity
debug3: no such identity: /home/Administrator/.ssh/identity
debug1: Trying private key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_rsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
debug3: remaining preferred: password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
debug2: userauth_kbdint
debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred:
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: Next authentication method: password
Administrator@localhost's password:
debug3: packet_send2: adding 48 (len 68 padlen 12 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug3: ssh_session2_open: channel_new: 0
debug2: channel 0: send open
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug2: callback start
debug2: client_session2_setup: id 0
debug2: channel 0: request pty-req confirm 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: ospeed 38400
debug3: tty_make_modes: ispeed 38400
debug3: tty_make_modes: 1 3
debug3: tty_make_modes: 2 28
debug3: tty_make_modes: 3 8
debug3: tty_make_modes: 4 21
debug3: tty_make_modes: 5 4
debug3: tty_make_modes: 6 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 7 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 8 17
debug3: tty_make_modes: 9 19
debug3: tty_make_modes: 10 26
debug3: tty_make_modes: 12 18
debug3: tty_make_modes: 13 23
debug3: tty_make_modes: 14 22
debug3: tty_make_modes: 18 15
debug3: tty_make_modes: 30 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 31 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 32 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 33 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 34 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 35 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 36 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 37 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 38 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 39 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 40 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 41 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 50 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 51 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 53 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 54 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 55 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 56 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 57 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 58 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 59 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 60 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 61 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 70 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 71 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 72 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 73 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 74 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 75 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 90 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 91 1
debug3: tty_make_modes: 92 0
debug3: tty_make_modes: 93 0
debug2: channel 0: request shell confirm 0
debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
Last login: Wed Nov 23 14:38:27 2005 from 127.0.0.1
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug2: channel 0: rcvd eof
debug2: channel 0: output open -> drain
debug2: channel 0: obuf empty
debug2: channel 0: close_write
debug2: channel 0: output drain -> closed
debug2: channel 0: rcvd close
debug2: channel 0: close_read
debug2: channel 0: input open -> closed
debug3: channel 0: will not send data after close
debug2: channel 0: almost dead
debug2: channel 0: gc: notify user
debug2: channel 0: gc: user detached
debug2: channel 0: send close
debug2: channel 0: is dead
debug2: channel 0: garbage collecting
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
debug3: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i3/0 o3/0 fd -1/-1 cfd -1)

debug3: channel 0: close_fds r -1 w -1 e 6 c -1
Connection to localhost closed.
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 33 bytes in 0.3 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 113.0
debug1: Exit status 255

Re: Cygwin connection closing running on Server 2003

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 11/23/2005, Jack Romano wrote:

> I am running Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows Sever 2003 with all current updates.
> My problem pertains to OpenSSH 4.2p1-1. I ran the setup script for OpenSSH
> and used the tool to import my Windows users. I am able to connect to the
> server both locally and from other machine and am prompted for my password.
> When I give an erroneous password I am told so. When I give a correct
> password I am given the "Last Login:..." message (which is correct) but
> then immediatly "Connection to localhost closed." (localhost replaced by
> the server name when not connecting locally) and an error 255. This happens
> for all users (including the Administrator user) and locally and remotely.
> I have noticed that if after I submit my password I start tapping keys
> quickly the connection stays open untill I stop -- even for a fraction of a
> second. I have reinstalled OpenSSH and then Cygwin to no avail.
>
> I have attached the verbose output of the ssh connection to the server. The
> OpenSSH log does not log this failure.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a vague recollection of folks having problems like this when they
didn't have correct permissions on their login directory.  You might check
this.  If you can't find the problem this way, try turning off "StrictModes"
in '/etc/sshd_config'

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office

Re: Cygwin connection closing running on Server 2003

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 23 22:21, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 11/23/2005, Jack Romano wrote:
> >I am running Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows Sever 2003 with all current updates.
> >My problem pertains to OpenSSH 4.2p1-1. I ran the setup script for OpenSSH
> >and used the tool to import my Windows users. I am able to connect to the
> >server both locally and from other machine and am prompted for my
> >password. When I give an erroneous password I am told so. When I give a
> >correct password I am given the "Last Login:..." message (which is
> >correct) but then immediatly "Connection to localhost closed." (localhost
> >replaced by the server name when not connecting locally) and an error 255.
> >This happens for all users (including the Administrator user) and locally
> >and remotely. I have noticed that if after I submit my password I start
> >tapping keys quickly the connection stays open untill I stop -- even for a
> >fraction of a second. I have reinstalled OpenSSH and then Cygwin to no
> >avail.
> >
> >I have attached the verbose output of the ssh connection to the server.
> >The OpenSSH log does not log this failure.
> >
> >Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> I have a vague recollection of folks having problems like this when they
> didn't have correct permissions on their login directory.  You might check
> this.  If you can't find the problem this way, try turning off "StrictModes"
> in '/etc/sshd_config'

Before you do that, try running ssh-user-config for each user having
this problem.  ssh-user-config tries to create correct permissions so
that sshd can access everything.  But as usual, YMMV.

Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Cygwin connection closing running on Server 2003

Jack Romano
Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried running user-ssh-config but
the SSH1 RSA creation fails with the message "chmod: changing
permissions of '/home/jromano': Permission denied". I continue through
the steps and there are no other error messages, but i am still
experiencing the same problem. Disabling StrictModes did not help either.

What folders or files do I need to change the permissions to, and what
changes need to be made?

Thank you again,
--jack romano

On Nov 28 16:17, Jack Romano wrote:
> Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried running user-ssh-config but
> the SSH1 RSA creation fails with the message "chmod: changing
> permissions of '/home/jromano': Permission denied". I continue through

You need to change ownership as Administrator first.  It seems your
permissions are broken.  Fix them to something relaxed using the GUI.
Then you should be able to call user-ssh-config again with no trouble.

Red Hat, Inc.