Cygwin-X icons not appearing after Cygwin 64 bit install w/X selected as "install"

Cygwin-X icons not appearing after Cygwin 64 bit install w/X selected as "install"

Cowan, Brian R
Hello all,

I'm reinstalling Cygwin after wiping my system and am finding that the inst= all doesn't create any icons for the X server/apps. A little annoying since=  this is the primary reason I'm installing Cygwin.

Setup version: 2.881 64-bit
Windows: 10 Home. Spring(?) creator's update (Version 1703)

I can start X by opening a Cygwin64 shell, and then running "startxwin," an= d that works for most of my needs. However this seems a strange behavior.

Is there a setup log I can look at to see if it's even trying to create the=  icons? I have Windows 7 hosts, admittedly installed with older installers,=  that have icons for Cygwin-X.

I selected "install" for XWindows, so pretty much everything X is installed=  save the desktops, and perhaps some of those.

Thanks,

Brian Cowan

Re: Cygwin-X icons not appearing after Cygwin 64 bit install w/X selected as "install"

Ken Brown-6
On 8/1/2017 6:11 PM, Cowan, Brian R wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm reinstalling Cygwin after wiping my system and am finding that the inst= all doesn't create any icons for the X server/apps. A little annoying since=  this is the primary reason I'm installing Cygwin.

The postinstall script /etc/postinstall/xinit.sh should have created a
Start Menu shortcut "XWin Server" under the heading "Cygwin-X".

RE: Cygwin-X icons not appearing after Cygwin 64 bit install w/X selected as "install"

Cowan, Brian R
I started a terminal as a local administrator and reran /etc/postinstall/xinit.sh.done

I got a bunch of "key exists" messages, but my icons appeared... I THINK the setup asked for elevation. I'll have to check that shortly.

Brian