Cygwin Time Machine has moved

Peter A. Castro
Greetings, All,
   First, my apologies in advance if this is considered off-topic, or
unwelcome in some way.  I figured this would be an appropriate audience
in which to express this information.  If a more appropriate forum is
suggested, I will post this there too.  Thanks!

-----

                         !!  Attention  !!

The Cygwin Time Machine has moved!  After many years (and several
complaints) I've finally moved it to an off-site server with much better
bandwidth available.  I've also swapped out the FTP server for a
standard web server for package delivery, which should be more firewall
friendly too.

Information on the new location is here:

    http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/cygwin/timemachine.html

There are instructions on how to rename your existing Cygwin download
repository to be implicitly reused with this new location and how to
update your setup.rc similarly.

This will (hopefully) be (fairly) painless for people to convert over to.
(And even if it isn't, they won't have a choice once I shutdown the old
server.  :)

I've update the Time Machine webpage on the old site with similar
information as I've describe here (but with more detail).

For the "TL;DR" crowd:

Old circa prefix was:

    ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/

New circa prefix is:

    http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/

I'm giving people two weeks to convert over before yanking the old
service.

Thank you for your attention. :)

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com

Re: Cygwin Time Machine has moved

Erik Soderquist-2
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> Greetings, All,
>   First, my apologies in advance if this is considered off-topic, or
> unwelcome in some way.  I figured this would be an appropriate audience in
> which to express this information.  If a more appropriate forum is
> suggested, I will post this there too.  Thanks!

Considering the number of times I have seen the time machine come up
here, I can't imagine the news is not needed here.

-- Erik

On Mar 28 13:46, Peter A. Castro wrote:

> Greetings, All,
>   First, my apologies in advance if this is considered off-topic, or
> unwelcome in some way.  I figured this would be an appropriate audience in
> which to express this information.  If a more appropriate forum is
> suggested, I will post this there too.  Thanks!
>
> -----
>
>                         !!  Attention  !!
>
> The Cygwin Time Machine has moved!  After many years (and several
> complaints) I've finally moved it to an off-site server with much better
> bandwidth available.  I've also swapped out the FTP server for a standard
> web server for package delivery, which should be more firewall friendly too.
>
> Information on the new location is here:
>
>    http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/cygwin/timemachine.html
I absolutely adore the domain name choice.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar 28 13:46, Peter A. Castro wrote:
>> Greetings, All,
>>                         !!  Attention  !!
>>
>> The Cygwin Time Machine has moved!  After many years (and several
>> complaints) I've finally moved it to an off-site server with much better
>> bandwidth available.  I've also swapped out the FTP server for a standard
>> web server for package delivery, which should be more firewall friendly too.
>>
>> Information on the new location is here:
>>
>>    http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/cygwin/timemachine.html
>
> I absolutely adore the domain name choice.

I'll pass that along to my wife as she is the one who suggested it (along
with several other, equally cute ones).  She is a very clever person.
She married me after all!  Hmm...maybe that makes me the clever one? :)

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com

Re: Cygwin Time Machine has moved

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 03/28/2017 04:46 PM, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> Greetings, All,
>    First, my apologies in advance if this is considered off-topic, or
> unwelcome in some way...

Unwelcome?  I find it shocking!  Imagine, the audacity of providing this
service to the Cygwin community for all these years and to now improve on
it.  I'm beside myself!  Someone needs to give Peter a gold star (or three!)
otherwise he's just going to continue to do these outrageous things.  This
simply must stop!

--
Larry

PS - This is really awesome. :-)  Thank you Peter!

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

[GOLDSTAR] Re: Cygwin Time Machine has moved

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Mar 30 21:17, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 03/28/2017 04:46 PM, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> > Greetings, All,
> >    First, my apologies in advance if this is considered off-topic, or
> > unwelcome in some way...
>
> Unwelcome?  I find it shocking!  Imagine, the audacity of providing this
> service to the Cygwin community for all these years and to now improve on
> it.  I'm beside myself!  Someone needs to give Peter a gold star (or three!)
> otherwise he's just going to continue to do these outrageous things.  This
> simply must stop!
You're absolutely right.  Peter needs a goldstar to discourage him :)

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: [GOLDSTAR] Re: Cygwin Time Machine has moved

Andrew Schulman

Awarded! https://cygwin.com/goldstars/#PC

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Andrew Schulman wrote:

>>> Unwelcome?  I find it shocking!  Imagine, the audacity of providing this
>>> service to the Cygwin community for all these years and to now improve on
>>> it.  I'm beside myself!  Someone needs to give Peter a gold star (or three!)
>>> otherwise he's just going to continue to do these outrageous things.  This
>>> simply must stop!
>>
>> You're absolutely right.  Peter needs a goldstar to discourage him :)
>
> Awarded! https://cygwin.com/goldstars/#PC

Wow!  I'm touched! (and not just in the head :)

Consider me discouraged! :)

Thank you all for creating such an awesome product so that I may archive
it!