Commercial use of cygwin

Cygwin list mailing list
Hello,

I was looking into using Cygwin for commercial use, but I couldn't really
understand if that was ok or not.

From here <https://cygwin.com/licensing.html> and here
<https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/cygwin-library-now-available-under-gnu-lesser-general-public-license>,
it seems like the basic cygwin library is available under LGPL, so ok to be
redistributed commercially if linked dynamically.

When I looked for all the different dlls though, I couldn't really find all
the licenses. I looked at /usr/share/doc folder but could not find the
licenses for several packages
+cygblas-0.dll
+cyggfortran-4.dll
+cyggomp-1.dll
+cyglapack-0.dll
+cygncursesw-10.dll
+cygquadmath-0.dll
+cygreadline7.dll

Is there any way you could provide some guidance on the topic? Is it
something you could help with?
(Of course in exchange of compensation)

Thanks for your help.
Antonio
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Commercial use of cygwin

Cygwin list mailing list
On 12.11.2020 09:42, Antonio Sidoti via Cygwin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was looking into using Cygwin for commercial use, but I couldn't really
> understand if that was ok or not.
>
>  From here <https://cygwin.com/licensing.html> and here
> <https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/cygwin-library-now-available-under-gnu-lesser-general-public-license>,
> it seems like the basic cygwin library is available under LGPL, so ok to be
> redistributed commercially if linked dynamically.
>
> When I looked for all the different dlls though, I couldn't really find all
> the licenses. I looked at /usr/share/doc folder but could not find the
> licenses for several packages
> +cygblas-0.dll
> +cyggfortran-4.dll
> +cyggomp-1.dll
> +cyglapack-0.dll
> +cygncursesw-10.dll
> +cygquadmath-0.dll
> +cygreadline7.dll
>
> Is there any way you could provide some guidance on the topic? Is it
> something you could help with?
> (Of course in exchange of compensation)
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Antonio
> --

in general there is no restriction on usage.
License are located on:

for lapack and Blas:
$ cygcheck -l liblapack-devel
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/lapack.README
/usr/share/doc/lapack/LICENSE
/usr/share/doc/lapack/README.md

for gcc/fortran and gomp

$ cygcheck -l gcc-core | grep COPYING
/usr/share/doc/gcc/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/gcc/COPYING.LIB

for ncurses

$ cygcheck -l ncurses | grep COPYING
/usr/share/doc/ncurses/COPYING

there are same restrictions if you plan to incorporate
the tools in your own software tif you are redistributing it.
(copy of source must also be distributed)

Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Commercial use of cygwin

L A Walsh
On 2020/11/12 02:42, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin copied the whole note:
> On 12.11.2020 09:42, Antonio Sidoti via Cygwin wrote:
> I was looking into using Cygwin for commercial use...

  [27 lines of duplicate text]

> in general there is no restriction on usage.
> Marco
If you are going to bottom post, please trim your quotes.
If you need to quote the original for context, only quote
what is needed for context. In a threaded
reader, your reply is placed under the original poster's
email, where, if a reader is interested, it was just read.
Duplicating the entire note isn't necessary nor, I'd bet,
really wanted, by most.

On 14.11.2020 08:22, L A Walsh wrote:

> On 2020/11/12 02:42, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin copied the whole note:
>> On 12.11.2020 09:42, Antonio Sidoti via Cygwin wrote:
>> I was looking into using Cygwin for commercial use...
>   [27 lines of duplicate text]
>>
>> in general there is no restriction on usage.
>> Marco
> If you are going to bottom post, please trim your quotes.
> If you need to quote the original for context, only quote
> what is needed for context. In a threaded
> reader, your reply is placed under the original poster's
> email, where, if a reader is interested, it was just read.
> Duplicating the entire note isn't necessary nor, I'd bet,
> really wanted, by most.

Hi Linda,
usually I agree, but he put down a specific list of DLL's
and I replied with a specific list of License.

27 lines are not a lot, in my experience.
There were much worst example than my mail to complain
about on this mailing list.

Cheers