Can't compile port qtermwidget

Cygwin list mailing list
I was trying to compile the qtermwidget (0.8.0) port with cygport, but
I'm getting a lot of Qt related errors (see attached).

I was wondering if there's anyone with some Qt experience who could help
point me in the right direction.  Since it's been 25+ years since I've
done anything with a C compiler, I'm inclined to believe that I'm
missing something obvious (maybe a Qt package that I've missed?).

Thanks in advance,

Paul

qtermwidget-0.8.0-1-compile.log (219K) Download Attachment

Re: Can't compile port qtermwidget

Eliot Moss
On 2/9/2020 5:10 PM, Paul Galbraith via cygwin wrote:
> I was trying to compile the qtermwidget (0.8.0) port with cygport, but I'm getting a lot of Qt
> related errors (see attached).
>
> I was wondering if there's anyone with some Qt experience who could help point me in the right
> direction.  Since it's been 25+ years since I've done anything with a C compiler, I'm inclined to
> believe that I'm missing something obvious (maybe a Qt package that I've missed?).

I am not Qt savvy, but I can think of two generic things to check:

- The Qt version in the cygwin libraries you have, versus what qtermwidget expects.

- The version of the C compiler (gcc keeps evolving, and that sometimes breaks things).
   Maybe there is info on the web about Qt issues with various version of gcc.

HTH ... Eliot Moss

On 2020-02-09 5:18 p.m., Eliot Moss wrote:
> I am not Qt savvy, but I can think of two generic things to check:
>
> - The Qt version in the cygwin libraries you have, versus what
> qtermwidget expects.
>
> - The version of the C compiler (gcc keeps evolving, and that
> sometimes breaks things).
>   Maybe there is info on the web about Qt issues with various version
> of gcc.

Thanks Eliot.  The package works with the current Qt libs so I'm working
under the assumption that the Qt version is Ok.

I've figured out that if -DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII and
-DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII are removed from the compile directives, the
situation improves drastically (at least on the first file I tried to
compile manually, the number of compile errors goes from dozens to
zero).  But, I don't know why Cmake is adding those directives.

On 2/9/2020 10:21 PM, Paul Galbraith via cygwin wrote:

> On 2020-02-09 5:18 p.m., Eliot Moss wrote:
>> I am not Qt savvy, but I can think of two generic things to check:
>>
>> - The Qt version in the cygwin libraries you have, versus what qtermwidget expects.
>>
>> - The version of the C compiler (gcc keeps evolving, and that sometimes breaks things).
>>   Maybe there is info on the web about Qt issues with various version of gcc.
>
> Thanks Eliot.  The package works with the current Qt libs so I'm working under the assumption that
> the Qt version is Ok.
>
> I've figured out that if -DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII and -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII are removed from the
> compile directives, the situation improves drastically (at least on the first file I tried to
> compile manually, the number of compile errors goes from dozens to zero).  But, I don't know why
> Cmake is adding those directives.

I wonder ... are there relevant ./configure options?    EM

On 2020-02-10 9:55 a.m., Eliot Moss wrote:
> I wonder ... are there relevant ./configure options?    EM

I finally managed to dig to the bottom of this one, and sure enough it
was a simple goof on my part.  qtermwidget has a dependency on
'lxqt-build-tools' which includes cmake modules that provide some of the
compiler flags.  It turns out I had a local build of this package (of a
more recent version) installed to /usr/local.  Removing the local
install and installing the cygwin lxqt-build-tools package instead,
solved the problem.