Can not get XWindows to Work in Cygwin/X .... I LOVE CYGWIN, USE IT EVERY DAY

Can not get XWindows to Work in Cygwin/X .... I LOVE CYGWIN, USE IT EVERY DAY

mrushton
Dear Cygwin,

I am trying to get the X Windows to work, I must be doing something wrong.  I read the FAQ and manual but no go.  I have Cygwin/X installed on a Windows 7 Desktop.

I type Startxwin or xwin and just get a xterm to the server ?   I got some directions I am gonna try tonight.

I would like to take this chance to say thanks for the software .... I LOVE CYGWIN, USE IT EVERY DAY.
I have shell scripting that runs my EDI programs ... it was on the korn shell on MKS toolkit .... the one person i worked with wanted to save money and (unknow to me) never paid the Software Maint. fees to mks .... and when I went to renew ... they wanted a huge sum of money and gave me a destuction date for the software .... i explained that I needed to run 2 environments and could not destroy the software.

They would not deal with me, help me or for that matter, return my calls or email.

It took a little work ... but I ported my scripting to bash under Cygwin.

Next time the arrogant sales rep called me asking what I wanted to do ... I said I moved to the free, Open Source Cygwin and simply have no further need of your overpriced software.

OPEN SOURCE RULES !!!

RE: Can not get XWindows to Work in Cygwin/X .... I LOVE CYGWIN, USE IT EVERY DAY

Chase, Brian E.
Suggest reinstalling Cygwin with additional options as follows:
        -  xwin-xdg-menu
        -  xwinclip
        -  xwininfo
        -  cygrunsrv (if you're going to run an sshd server)
        -  curl (if you test network connections of various protocols, useful when ping is blocked)
        -  geany (lightweight IDE or programmer's editor)
        -  mate-terminal ( or other Xwindow terminal programs (I like MATE terminal, but Xterm works also)
        -  dia (Visio like vector based drawing program with some pretty good built in stencils)

There, that should get you started.  No need to remove anything you've already got installed, just run latest installer setup.exe or setup-x86.exe and pick the new programs.  When it finishes, you should have a new application in your Cygwin/X menu item in Windows called "XWin Server", run that.  You should then see two new icons pop up in the task bar, one is the X server and is only there to tell you that Xserver is active, the other looks like the bash launch icon, right click on that and voila, there is your new XDG desktop menu where all your graphical Cygwin programs will show up.

Let me know if this was helpful.

mrushton writes:
> I type Startxwin or xwin and just get a xterm to the server?

Well, then X works as it's supposed to be.  The standard setup is to use
a rootless server and have Windows manage the application windows (like
that xterm you're seeing).  There should be two new icons in the try in
Windows' taskbar.  Make them permanently visible, you can start some
applications via the context menu from there.

If you insist on using a root window and run a separate window manager
on it (which I would only recommend if you dedicate a separate monitor
to it), then WindowMaker is lightweight and doesn't pull in as many
dependecies as some of the other choices.

Re: Can not get XWindows to Work in Cygwin/X .... I LOVE CYGWIN, USE IT EVERY DAY

mrushton
(Ok I tried to send this to the list and it failed ... I had an image of
my black screen in it)

I still just get a blank screen.   When i type xwin or startxwin .

I found instructions to look for the variable "tty" under Windows
Environment Variables in Control Panel and remove it .... but i don't
have that variable.

On 4/11/2017 2:31 PM, Chase, Brian E. wrote:

> Suggest reinstalling Cygwin with additional options as follows:
> -  xwin-xdg-menu
> -  xwinclip
> -  xwininfo
> -  cygrunsrv (if you're going to run an sshd server)
> -  curl (if you test network connections of various protocols, useful when ping is blocked)
> -  geany (lightweight IDE or programmer's editor)
> -  mate-terminal ( or other Xwindow terminal programs (I like MATE terminal, but Xterm works also)
> -  dia (Visio like vector based drawing program with some pretty good built in stencils)
>
> There, that should get you started.  No need to remove anything you've already got installed, just run latest installer setup.exe or setup-x86.exe and pick the new programs.  When it finishes, you should have a new application in your Cygwin/X menu item in Windows called "XWin Server", run that.  You should then see two new icons pop up in the task bar, one is the X server and is only there to tell you that Xserver is active, the other looks like the bash launch icon, right click on that and voila, there is your new XDG desktop menu where all your graphical Cygwin programs will show up.
>
> Let me know if this was helpful.

It doesn't sound like you followed directions, or my directions were not clear.  You are not typing in a command line of any sort, you are using your mouse both in the Start Menu for Windows and down in the Windows taskbar to complete the following steps.

1.  you should have a new application in your Cygwin/X menu item in Windows called "XWin Server", run that
2.  You should then see two new icons pop up in the task bar, one is the X server and is only there to tell you that Xserver is active, the other looks like the bash launch icon, right click on that and voila, there is your new XDG desktop menu where all your graphical Cygwin programs will show up.

(Ok I tried to send this to the list and it failed ... I had an image of my black screen in it)

I still just get a blank screen.   When i type xwin or startxwin .

I found instructions to look for the variable "tty" under Windows
Environment Variables in Control Panel and remove it .... but i don't
have that variable.

On 4/11/2017 2:31 PM, Chase, Brian E. wrote:

> Suggest reinstalling Cygwin with additional options as follows:
> -  xwin-xdg-menu
> -  xwinclip
> -  xwininfo
> -  cygrunsrv (if you're going to run an sshd server)
> -  curl (if you test network connections of various protocols, useful when ping is blocked)
> -  geany (lightweight IDE or programmer's editor)
> -  mate-terminal ( or other Xwindow terminal programs (I like MATE terminal, but Xterm works also)
> -  dia (Visio like vector based drawing program with some pretty good built in stencils)
>
> There, that should get you started.  No need to remove anything you've already got installed, just run latest installer setup.exe or setup-x86.exe and pick the new programs.  When it finishes, you should have a new application in your Cygwin/X menu item in Windows called "XWin Server", run that.  You should then see two new icons pop up in the task bar, one is the X server and is only there to tell you that Xserver is active, the other looks like the bash launch icon, right click on that and voila, there is your new XDG desktop menu where all your graphical Cygwin programs will show up.
>
> Let me know if this was helpful.

OK.  I followed these instructions but I never get to see a screen.   I
want to un-install and re-install it.   I don't see Cygwin/X in the
Control Panel.

How do I uninstall it ?

On 4/17/2017 1:59 PM, Chase, Brian E. wrote:

> It doesn't sound like you followed directions, or my directions were not clear.  You are not typing in a command line of any sort, you are using your mouse both in the Start Menu for Windows and down in the Windows taskbar to complete the following steps.
>
> 1.  you should have a new application in your Cygwin/X menu item in Windows called "XWin Server", run that
> 2.  You should then see two new icons pop up in the task bar, one is the X server and is only there to tell you that Xserver is active, the other looks like the bash launch icon, right click on that and voila, there is your new XDG desktop menu where all your graphical Cygwin programs will show up.

Larry Hall (Cygwin)

<https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.setup.uninstall-packages>

<https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.setup.uninstall-service>

<https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all>