[Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1

123

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

ASSI
Achim Gratz writes:

> In preparation of the release, please follow the instructions below to
> upload the packages (re-)created with the new Perl version to the Cygwin
> server.  Please be reminded that the new packages should not be "test"
> versions so that setup.exe will offer them automatically when they are
> distributed to the mirrors.
>
> 1. Please do not place the !ready cookie file!  When uploading via
> cygport that means using the command "upload-stage" rather than
> "upload".  This will ensure that all packages of the update get release
> at the same time and that existing installations can be switched over to
> the new Perl in a single update transaction.
>
> 2. Instead, please put a zero-size !perl cookie file (preferrably at the
> package level).  You can either create that file manually (lftp: put
> /dev/null -o pkgname/!perl) or touch that file into
> pkgname/dist/pkgname/ before commanding cygport to do "upload-stage".
>
> 3. Please respond to this mail when you've done the above so that we can
> keep track of what is staged in the upload area.
>
> If any of the above is unclear or you want assistance of any sort,
> please ask.

I have all of my own / co-maintained packages staged now.

The update will wait for:

subversion-perl

Going through the list of packages collected during the 5.26 update we
seem to be missing feedback from the respective maintainers for:

net-smtp
texinfo
weechat
znc
git-svn
git
grepmail
nginx-mod_http_perl
po4a
pristine-tar
sendxmpp

Yaakov's packages will be updated later unless someone speaks up that
one of them is indispensable:

perl-Alien-wxWidgets
perl-Cairo
perl-Cairo-GObject
perl-GD
perl-Glib
perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
perl-Gnome2
perl-Gnome2-Canvas
perl-Gnome2-GConf
perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
perl-Gnome2-VFS
perl-Gnome2-Vte
perl-Gnome2-Wnck
perl-GStreamer1
perl-Gtk2
perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
perl-Gtk2-Notify
perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
perl-Gtk2-Spell
perl-Gtk2-Unique
perl-Gtk2-WebKit
perl-Gtk3
perl-Pango
perl-SGMLSpm
perl-Win32-GUI
perl-Wx
gnumeric
graphviz
hexchat
libproxy
link-grammar
marisa
ming
openbabel
openwsman
rxvt-unicode
vim
xfconf
zbar
zinnia

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

Alexey Sokolov
08.02.2020 21:53, Achim Gratz пишет:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>> In preparation of the release, please follow the instructions below to
>> upload the packages (re-)created with the new Perl version to the Cygwin
>> server.  Please be reminded that the new packages should not be "test"
>> versions so that setup.exe will offer them automatically when they are
>> distributed to the mirrors.
>>
>> 1. Please do not place the !ready cookie file!  When uploading via
>> cygport that means using the command "upload-stage" rather than
>> "upload".  This will ensure that all packages of the update get release
>> at the same time and that existing installations can be switched over to
>> the new Perl in a single update transaction.
>>
>> 2. Instead, please put a zero-size !perl cookie file (preferrably at the
>> package level).  You can either create that file manually (lftp: put
>> /dev/null -o pkgname/!perl) or touch that file into
>> pkgname/dist/pkgname/ before commanding cygport to do "upload-stage".
>>
>> 3. Please respond to this mail when you've done the above so that we can
>> keep track of what is staged in the upload area.
>>
>> If any of the above is unclear or you want assistance of any sort,
>> please ask.
>
> I have all of my own / co-maintained packages staged now.
>

> The update will wait for:
>
> subversion-perl
>

> Going through the list of packages collected during the 5.26 update we
> seem to be missing feedback from the respective maintainers for:
>
> net-smtp
> texinfo
> weechat
> znc

Eh, it was ready a while ago, and I pinged you already about that :)

I've uploaded with !perl

Alexey Sokolov writes:
> Eh, it was ready a while ago, and I pinged you already about that :)

The current ping was specifically for the upload (which of course assumes that
you've built it already).

> I've uploaded with !perl

Thanks.

Am 06.02.2020 um 18:53 schrieb David Rothenberger:

> On 2/3/2020 12:11 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
>> weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
>> updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
>> version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.
>
> I had a family emergency that required me to leave town unexpectedly,
> but I hope to update the subversion-perl next week.
>
> Regards,
> David

Dear David,
If needed I built subversion-1.13.0-2 for both architecture
starting from your subversion-1.13.0-1 source.

Only bumped the version and built with perl 5.30.
I have not investigated the test failures due to misaligned
file locations.

Marco Atzeri writes:
> If needed I built subversion-1.13.0-2 for both architecture
> starting from your subversion-1.13.0-1 source.

Thank you!

> Only bumped the version and built with perl 5.30.
> I have not investigated the test failures due to misaligned
> file locations.

The package is already orphaned and David clearly has more important
things to care about at the moment, so I'd appreciate if you would take
over the package, even if it was just for this re-release.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

marco atzeri-4
Am 16.02.2020 um 07:55 schrieb ASSI:

> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> If needed I built subversion-1.13.0-2 for both architecture
>> starting from your subversion-1.13.0-1 source.
>
> Thank you!
>
>> Only bumped the version and built with perl 5.30.
>> I have not investigated the test failures due to misaligned
>> file locations.
>
> The package is already orphaned and David clearly has more important
> things to care about at the moment, so I'd appreciate if you would take
> over the package, even if it was just for this re-release.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

the files are up.

I am not sure if this form in cygwin-pkg-maint is acceptable for
the files authorization:

  $ grep subversion cygwin-pkg-maint
subversion            ORPHANED (David Rothenberger/Marco Atzeri)

if not someone should modify cygwin-pkg-maint in a more traditional way

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

Jon TURNEY
On 16/02/2020 08:08, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 16.02.2020 um 07:55 schrieb ASSI:
>> Marco Atzeri writes:
>>> If needed I built subversion-1.13.0-2 for both architecture
>>> starting from your subversion-1.13.0-1 source.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>>> Only bumped the version and built with perl 5.30.
>>> I have not investigated the test failures due to misaligned
>>> file locations.
>>
>> The package is already orphaned and David clearly has more important
>> things to care about at the moment, so I'd appreciate if you would take
>> over the package, even if it was just for this re-release.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>>

> the files are up.
>
> I am not sure if this form in cygwin-pkg-maint is acceptable for
> the files authorization:
>
>   $ grep subversion cygwin-pkg-maint
> subversion            ORPHANED (David Rothenberger/Marco Atzeri)

I think this is acceptable to calm.

> if not someone should modify cygwin-pkg-maint in a more traditional way

Perhaps I should just extend the list of special users who are allowed
to upload orphaned packages to include all uploaders who also have a
sourceware shell account.

(since they can upload anything by just moving it directly into the
relarea, anyhow)

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

David Rothenberger
On 2/15/2020 3:42 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 06.02.2020 um 18:53 schrieb David Rothenberger:
>> On 2/3/2020 12:11 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>> I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
>>> weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
>>> updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
>>> version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.
>>
>> I had a family emergency that required me to leave town unexpectedly,
>> but I hope to update the subversion-perl next week.
>>
>> Regards,
>> David
>>

> Dear David,
> If needed I built subversion-1.13.0-2 for both architecture
> starting from your subversion-1.13.0-1 source.
>
> Only bumped the version and built with perl 5.30.
> I have not investigated the test failures due to misaligned
> file locations.

Thanks, Marco. I appreciate this. I will try to do further updates as
necessary, but my real life took over for the last two weeks and left me
no time to do this perl update.

I also haven't had time to look into the test failures.

--
David Rothenberger  ----  [hidden email]

Badges?  We don't need no stinking badges.

Am 16.02.2020 um 16:30 schrieb Jon Turney:
> On 16/02/2020 08:08, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Am 16.02.2020 um 07:55 schrieb ASSI:
>>> Marco Atzeri writes:

> Perhaps I should just extend the list of special users who are allowed
> to upload orphaned packages to include all uploaders who also have a
> sourceware shell account.
>
> (since they can upload anything by just moving it directly into the
> relarea, anyhow)

let me know if you implement it, I see a bit too many
potentially broken packages by the Perl update

I am thinking to double check the list and eventually repackage
some of them but I will prefer not touch too much cygwin-pkg-maint

On 18/02/2020 19:53, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 16.02.2020 um 16:30 schrieb Jon Turney:
>>
>> Perhaps I should just extend the list of special users who are allowed
>> to upload orphaned packages to include all uploaders who also have a
>> sourceware shell account.
>>
>> (since they can upload anything by just moving it directly into the
>> relarea, anyhow)
>
> let me know if you implement it, I see a bit too many
> potentially broken packages by the Perl update

I have made an update to calm which should extend the list of people who
can upload any orphan package to include everyone who currently:

* has a sourceware shell account
* that account is a member of the cygwin group
* is currently a package maintainer

That list of people is:

Corinna Vinschen
Eric Blake
Jon Turney
Ken Brown
Marco Atzeri
Yaakov Selkowitz

This list is now also used as the list of people who can 'git push' to
the packaging repository for any package.

If I've made a mistake and you think your name should (or should not :))
be on this list, please let me know.

19.02.2020 17:44, Jon Turney пишет:

> On 18/02/2020 19:53, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should just extend the list of special users who are
>>> allowed to upload orphaned packages to include all uploaders who also
>>> have a sourceware shell account.
>>>
>>> (since they can upload anything by just moving it directly into the
>>> relarea, anyhow)
>>
>> let me know if you implement it, I see a bit too many
>> potentially broken packages by the Perl update
>
> I have made an update to calm which should extend the list of people who
> can upload any orphan package to include everyone who currently:
>
> * has a sourceware shell account
> * that account is a member of the cygwin group
> * is currently a package maintainer
>
> That list of people is:
>
> Corinna Vinschen
> Eric Blake
> Jon Turney
> Ken Brown
> Marco Atzeri
> Yaakov Selkowitz

Is this list maintained manually (hardcoded), or automatically by calm
based on the criteria you described above?

On 19/02/2020 23:41, Alexey Sokolov wrote:

> 19.02.2020 17:44, Jon Turney пишет:

>>> let me know if you implement it, I see a bit too many
>>> potentially broken packages by the Perl update
>>
>> I have made an update to calm which should extend the list of people who
>> can upload any orphan package to include everyone who currently:
>>
>> * has a sourceware shell account
>> * that account is a member of the cygwin group
>> * is currently a package maintainer
>>
>> That list of people is:
>>
>> Corinna Vinschen
>> Eric Blake
>> Jon Turney
>> Ken Brown
>> Marco Atzeri
>> Yaakov Selkowitz
>
> Is this list maintained manually (hardcoded), or automatically by calm
> based on the criteria you described above?

Unfortunately, I had to generate this list manually (There's not really
a programmatic way to map between a Cygwin uploader name (as it appears
in cygwin-pkg-maint) and a sourceware account name).

I used those criteria as it seemed a reasonable way to identify people
who already have necessary access and possible interest in making those
uploads.

I'm not suggesting that we should use those criteria in future.

If someone has something useful they could do, requiring that kind of
access, they should ask for it (although I think it would be better to
actually adopt packages, or reach a consensus that they should be removed).
123