[Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1

123

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] RFP: libmail-mbox-messageparser-perl (perl-5.30.1 rebuild) pending switch to perl-5.30.1

Achim Gratz
Jari Aalto writes:
> On 2019-11-25 18:27, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Jari Aalto writes:
>> > Would someone package:
>> >
>> >   https://packages.debian.org/unstable/libmail-mbox-messageparser-perl
>> perl-Mail-Mbox-MessageParser
>>
>> I'll add it to the staging repo some time this week.

I've uploaded it to my repo together with the three new dependencies.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Reminder: Package updates needed for the pending switch to perl-5.30.1

Alexey Sokolov
23.11.2019 17:19, Achim Gratz пишет:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>> I've already built the new Perl packages and the (almost) full set of
>> distributions.  I'm waiting for the stage 2 tests of the Perl build to
>> finish and will then post a repository link for you to point setup.exe
>> to (in addition of the Cygwin mirror) to update your own build systems.
>> This time around these are the same packages that will be going live on
>> the Cygwin mirrors unless I find an error that needs to be dealt with.
>>
>> Besides Ken and Andrew, who have already responded, the only other
>> packages I don't yet maintain are from Yaakov (mostly Gnome and GUI
>> related stuff) and the *Magick wrappers that Marco maintains.  There
>> should be other packages with captive Perl modules (IIRC SVN and Git).
>> Git isn't affected because it sets up @INC itself and doesn't have
>> architecture-specific modules.
>>
>> During the release of Perl-5.26 we've fingered the following:
>>
>> biber:             BibTeX replacement for users of BibLaTeX (installed binaries and support files)
>> git-svn:     Subversion compatibility support for Git version control system
>> git:             Distributed version control system
>> grepmail:     search mailboxes for mail matching an expression (installed binaries and support files)
>> irssi:             Modular text mode IRC client with Perl scripting
>> nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server (installed binaries and support files)
>> nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server
>> po4a:             Tools for translating various file formats with gettext (installed binaries and support files)
>> pristine-tar:     Regenerate pristine tarballs (installed binaries and support files)
>> sendxmpp:            Commandline XMPP (jabber) utility (installed binaries and support files)
>> subversion-perl:     A version control system (perl bindings)
>> texlive:             TeXLive
>>
>> Again, just like the last time around, noarch packages _should_ keep
>> working if the files are moved to the correct directory where Perl-5.30
>> looks for them, but I've not really checked.  Since there have been many
>> changes in Perl internals, I wouldn't take chances with archful packages
>> (anything that comes with a DLL).
>
> Loooking through further mails from the last major version update for
> Perl, it appears that a number of packages have embedded Perl
> interpretors.  Since we still lack the infrastructure to have multiple
> Perl versions installed in parallel, these will also need to be updated
> as otherwise they might no longer be able to link into the perl DLL.
> The mentioned packages included:

Shall we build it, but not upload yet, or how do you want to manage the
atomic update?

Alexey Sokolov writes:
> Shall we build it, but not upload yet, or how do you want to manage the
> atomic update?

You can't upload before the new Perl version is officially in Cygwin,
just like the last time we had to do that.  Since most of the affected
maintainers have not yet responded I can't really suggest how exactly
we might coordinate among them all.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1

Achim Gratz writes:
> Perl version 5.30.1 was just released.  I will have an unexpected
> timeslot available at the beginning of next week that I plan to use to
> update Perl for Cygwin.  This of course means all Perl distribution
> packages and any other packages that install into the Perl module
> directories will need to be updated.

Besides some maintainers being busy with other stuff (esp. Yaakov) or
having not yet responded, it looks that this update may have hit another
roadbump:

There's a bug in perl-5.30 that hits only embedded Perl and only in
certain circumstances.  Reverting the corresponding commit appears to
work, but makes the resulting Perl binary incompatible (i.e. all XS
modules and embedded Perls would need to be built again).  I can build a
new Perl relatively quickly now, so I could do that over the weekend,
but I wouldn't necessarily want to release that directly.

So it appears likely that the update shifts to the beginning of next
year (which probably means early February rather than mid-to-end
January).

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1

cygwin-apps mailing list
> Achim Gratz writes:
> > Perl version 5.30.1 was just released.  I will have an unexpected
> > timeslot available at the beginning of next week that I plan to use to
> > update Perl for Cygwin.  This of course means all Perl distribution
> > packages and any other packages that install into the Perl module
> > directories will need to be updated.
>
> So it appears likely that the update shifts to the beginning of next
> year (which probably means early February rather than mid-to-end
> January).

I'll probably have time to work through this before then. But in case I don't,
and I just wait to update stow until you release the new Perl version, is there
any disadvantage to that aside from the short time when stow won't work with the
latest Perl? And the risk of a further delay due to any build problems?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Schulman via cygwin-apps writes:
> I'll probably have time to work through this before then. But in case I don't,
> and I just wait to update stow until you release the new Perl version, is there
> any disadvantage to that aside from the short time when stow won't work with the
> latest Perl? And the risk of a further delay due to any build problems?

As much as possible I'd try to avoid inconveniencing users (that may or
may not have read the announcements) and wait for all maintainers to be
ready with their updates and then switch it over in synchrony.

Achim Gratz writes:
> There's a bug in perl-5.30 that hits only embedded Perl and only in
> certain circumstances.  Reverting the corresponding commit appears to
> work, but makes the resulting Perl binary incompatible (i.e. all XS
> modules and embedded Perls would need to be built again).  I can build a
> new Perl relatively quickly now, so I could do that over the weekend,
> but I wouldn't necessarily want to release that directly.

I have integrated the two patches that revert the offending commit and
re-built Perl and all XS modules (as well as openldap, as one of the
server backends has an embedded perl interpreter). The updated Perl-5.30
repository is now available.  Since I have not changed the release
numbers, you'll have to dupe setup into "upgrading" all perl packages in
your installation (alternatively you'd need to re-install all Perl
related packages manually):

sed -i.bak -re 's/^(perl.*) .+ ([01])$/\1 \1-0-0.tar.bz \2/'\
    /etc/setup/installed.db

Any XS modules you have locally installed will need to be re-built as
well or they would complain about a mismatched handshake key when trying
to load their DLL.

Please point setup.exe at:

root=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
$root/perl-5.30

The setup.xz is signed with my PGP key available at $root/stromeko.gpg,
which you can download and then feed to setup.exe via the -K switch.
The fingerprint of that key is:

      B22B 4890 B89E 5E5A 795C  E305 B40B EC75 3152 B1C3

If you have the keyart script (Python, you can just download from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/atoponce/keyart/master/keyart), this
is what you should see after importing the key into your public keyring:

> keyart stromeko
+-----[DSA 2048]----+
|         ^.        |
|        ^ .        |
|       ^ E         |
|    . . ^ :        |
|. .  ^ : .         |
|.^  . ^.:S         |
| ..  . :^.         |
|.  .^ ^.^          |
|. ^:.^ ..          |
| ^:... .           |
|.^    .            |
+-----[3152B1C3]----+
+-------------------+
|                 :X|
|             .  ^^^|
|            :   ..^|
|         . : .   E |
|          i . . .  |
|       ^ S l : .   |
|        i l ^ ^    |
|       ^ . .       |
|      .   .        |
|       . .         |
|      ...          |
+-------------------+

Am 24.11.2019 um 18:58 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

> Am 23.11.2019 um 17:19 schrieb Achim Gratz:
>> Achim Gratz writes:
>

>>> Besides Ken and Andrew, who have already responded, the only other
>>> packages I don't yet maintain are from Yaakov (mostly Gnome and GUI
>>> related stuff) and the *Magick wrappers that Marco maintains.  There
>>> should be other packages with captive Perl modules (IIRC SVN and Git).
>>> Git isn't affected because it sets up @INC itself and doesn't have
>>> architecture-specific modules.

I am completing the build of :
  postgresql-12.1-2
  irssi-1.2.2-2
  GraphicsMagick-1.3.33-2
  ImageMagick-6.9.10.11-2
  gdal-3.0.2-2

and I am planning to upload them as "test"
by today or tomorrow.

Marco Atzeri writes:
> Am 24.11.2019 um 18:58 schrieb Marco Atzeri:
> I am completing the build of :
>  postgresql-12.1-2
>  irssi-1.2.2-2
>  GraphicsMagick-1.3.33-2
>  ImageMagick-6.9.10.11-2
>  gdal-3.0.2-2

Thanks.

> and I am planning to upload them as "test"
> by today or tomorrow.

I would not do that since there are a number of folks who habitually
install test versions and would probably be quite surprised when that
doesn't work at all.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Reminder: Package updates needed for the pending switch to perl-5.30.1

marco atzeri-4
Am 16.12.2019 um 19:50 schrieb Achim Gratz:

> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> Am 24.11.2019 um 18:58 schrieb Marco Atzeri:
>> I am completing the build of :
>>   postgresql-12.1-2
>>   irssi-1.2.2-2
>>   GraphicsMagick-1.3.33-2
>>   ImageMagick-6.9.10.11-2
>>   gdal-3.0.2-2
>
> Thanks.
>
>> and I am planning to upload them as "test"
>> by today or tomorrow.
>
> I would not do that since there are a number of folks who habitually
> install test versions and would probably be quite surprised when that
> doesn't work at all.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

OK.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Reminder: Package updates needed for the pending switch to perl-5.30.1

I'm going to update the Perl distributions in the perl-5.30 repository
that have bumped up their versions in the meantime on the weekend most
likely.  I think it would be good if the remaining dependent packages
could be ready until the end of January so that the official Cygwin
distribution can be switched over before the backlog grows even larger.

Achim Gratz writes:
> I'm going to update the Perl distributions in the perl-5.30 repository
> that have bumped up their versions in the meantime on the weekend most
> likely.  I think it would be good if the remaining dependent packages
> could be ready until the end of January so that the official Cygwin
> distribution can be switched over before the backlog grows even larger.

The updates are now uploaded.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.

In preparation of the release, please follow the instructions below to
upload the packages (re-)created with the new Perl version to the Cygwin
server.  Please be reminded that the new packages should not be "test"
versions so that setup.exe will offer them automatically when they are
distributed to the mirrors.

1. Please do not place the !ready cookie file!  When uploading via
cygport that means using the command "upload-stage" rather than
"upload".  This will ensure that all packages of the update get release
at the same time and that existing installations can be switched over to
the new Perl in a single update transaction.

2. Instead, please put a zero-size !perl cookie file (preferrably at the
package level).  You can either create that file manually (lftp: put
/dev/null -o pkgname/!perl) or touch that file into
pkgname/dist/pkgname/ before commanding cygport to do "upload-stage".

3. Please respond to this mail when you've done the above so that we can
keep track of what is staged in the upload area.

If any of the above is unclear or you want assistance of any sort,
please ask.

Am 03.02.2020 um 21:11 schrieb Achim Gratz:

> I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
> weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
> updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
> version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.
>
> In preparation of the release, please follow the instructions below to
> upload the packages (re-)created with the new Perl version to the Cygwin
> server.  Please be reminded that the new packages should not be "test"
> versions so that setup.exe will offer them automatically when they are
> distributed to the mirrors.

Hi Achim,
following packages are up

gdal-3.0.2-2
GraphicsMagick-1.3.34-2
ImageMagick-6.9.10.11-2
irssi-1.2.2-2
postgresql-12.1-2

On 2/3/2020 3:11 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
> weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
> updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
> version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.
>
> In preparation of the release, please follow the instructions below to
> upload the packages (re-)created with the new Perl version to the Cygwin
> server.  Please be reminded that the new packages should not be "test"
> versions so that setup.exe will offer them automatically when they are
> distributed to the mirrors.
>
> 1. Please do not place the !ready cookie file!  When uploading via
> cygport that means using the command "upload-stage" rather than
> "upload".  This will ensure that all packages of the update get release
> at the same time and that existing installations can be switched over to
> the new Perl in a single update transaction.
>
> 2. Instead, please put a zero-size !perl cookie file (preferrably at the
> package level).  You can either create that file manually (lftp: put
> /dev/null -o pkgname/!perl) or touch that file into
> pkgname/dist/pkgname/ before commanding cygport to do "upload-stage".
>
> 3. Please respond to this mail when you've done the above so that we can
> keep track of what is staged in the upload area.

I've staged biber and perl-PAR-Packer.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

cygwin-apps mailing list

> I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
> weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
> updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
> version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.
>
> In preparation of the release, please follow the instructions below to
> upload the packages (re-)created with the new Perl version to the Cygwin
> server.  Please be reminded that the new packages should not be "test"
> versions so that setup.exe will offer them automatically when they are
> distributed to the mirrors.

This is done for stow. Note, I only put the !perl file in
/noarch/release/stow, not also in /noarch/release/stow/perl-Stow. Andrew

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

Achim Gratz
Andrew Schulman via cygwin-apps writes:
> This is done for stow. Note, I only put the !perl file in
> /noarch/release/stow, not also in /noarch/release/stow/perl-Stow. Andrew

Jon will chime in if I'm wrong, but the cookie file is good for the
whole subtree it gets placed in AFAIK.  I usually put the cookie files
at the upload root myself.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

Jon TURNEY
On 04/02/2020 20:23, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Andrew Schulman via cygwin-apps writes:
>> This is done for stow. Note, I only put the !perl file in
>> /noarch/release/stow, not also in /noarch/release/stow/perl-Stow. Andrew
>
> Jon will chime in if I'm wrong, but the cookie file is good for the
> whole subtree it gets placed in AFAIK.  I usually put the cookie files
> at the upload root myself.

Yeah, they apply recursively.  But I think they don't work in the upload
root, they must be in the arch directory or lower (because reasons).

This is discussed just above [1]

[1] https://cygwin.com/package-upload.html#reports

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.30.1 -- prepare for release

David Rothenberger
On 2/3/2020 12:11 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
> weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
> updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
> version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.

I had a family emergency that required me to leave town unexpectedly,
but I hope to update the subversion-perl next week.

Regards,
David

--
David Rothenberger  ----  [hidden email]

Never laugh at live dragons.
                -- Bilbo Baggins [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Hobbit"]

Am 06.02.2020 um 18:53 schrieb David Rothenberger:

> On 2/3/2020 12:11 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> I have done another update of my private Perl repository over the
>> weekend.  While not all maintainers will immediately be ready with their
>> updates due to external circumstances, I'd like to release the new Perl
>> version at the end of this week or maybe over the weekend.
>
> I had a family emergency that required me to leave town unexpectedly,
> but I hope to update the subversion-perl next week.
>
> Regards,
> David

I built subversion for X86_64 with new perl and for what I see the only
tests that are failing are due to some misalignement between expected
location of needed files

svn_tests: E000002: Can't open file
'/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/subversion/subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/src/subversion-1.13.0/subversion/tests/zlib.deflated':
No such file or directory
FAIL:  checksum-test 4: zlib expansion test (zlib regression)

but

$ find subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/ -name zlib.deflated
subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/origsrc/subversion-1.13.0/subversion/tests/libsvn_subr/zlib.deflated
subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/src/subversion-1.13.0/subversion/tests/libsvn_subr/zlib.deflated

similar

START: config-test.exe
svn_tests: E000002: Can't open file
'/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/subversion/subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/src/subversion-1.13.0/subversion/tests/config-test.cfg':
No such file or directory

but

$ find subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/ -name config-test.cfg
subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/origsrc/subversion-1.13.0/subversion/tests/libsvn_subr/config-test.cfg
subversion-1.13.0-2.x86_64/src/subversion-1.13.0/subversion/tests/libsvn_subr/config-test.cfg

I will look later on this issues

123