[Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1-RC1

123

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

Achim Gratz
Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
>> Please note that this is only a temporary fix as the old path may have
>> leaked into the installed files in some cases.  I'm starting the build
>> now, it should be finished tomorrow morning.  Sorry for any
>> inconvenience caused by this late change.
>
> This means that anyone who has already built noarch Perl module packages
> needs to rebuild them again, right?

Unfortunately yes, as they would instzall into the wrong location.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1 (prepare for release)

The Perl 5.26 repository, still at http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26,
has been updated (again due to an error in module search path) with the
prospective release version of Perl 5.26.1 and newly bootstrapped
distribution packages.  This upload now has dummy (obsoletion) packages
for distributions that were formerly imported from CPAN but now use
those built-in to Perl:

perl-CPAN-Meta
perl-CPAN-Meta-Requirements
perl-Carp
perl-Config-Perl-V
perl-Module-Load-Conditional
perl-Pod-Simple
perl-Unicode-Collate
perl-Unicode-Normalize
perl-Win32
perl-XSLoader

Another distribution that hasn't been in use on Cygwin for quite some
time already is incompatible with Perl > 5.24 and will be obsoleted:

perl-Data-Alias

One distribution, perl-File-Path, has been patched in-core in
anticipation of upstream doing the same thing in a few months for 5.26.2
in order to fix CVE2017-6512 and is actually at version 2.14 (upstream
was still at 2.12_01).

You should either start over from your backed-up Cygwin installation
from before any previous tests or clean up and re-install all Perl
related packages by doing

$ rm -fr /usr/{share,lib}/perl5/{,vendor_perl/,site_perl/}
$ sed -i.bak -re 's/( perl[-_]?.*-)[0-9.]+-[0-9]+\.tar/\10-0.tar/' /etc/setup/installed.db

so that setup "updates" everything to do with Perl again.

Please build and prepare packages meant for release to Cygwin only with
this latest Perl version, but preferrably do no yet actually upload.
Otherwise, in the unlikely case of me still finding an error somewhere,
you may have to re-release your package(s).

Again the reminder that the following packages will have to be re-built since they
install perl modules:

biber:             BibTeX replacement for users of BibLaTeX (installed binaries and support files)
git-svn:     Subversion compatibility support for Git version control system
git:             Distributed version control system
grepmail:     search mailboxes for mail matching an expression (installed binaries and support files)
irssi:             Modular text mode IRC client with Perl scripting
nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server (installed binaries and support files)
nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server
po4a:             Tools for translating various file formats with gettext (installed binaries and support files)
pristine-tar:     Regenerate pristine tarballs (installed binaries and support files)
sendxmpp:            Commandline XMPP (jabber) utility (installed binaries and support files)
subversion-perl:     A version control system (perl bindings)

If there's any Perl distribution in co-maintenance where the
co-maintainer prefers to re-build and upload the package instead of just
using the one I have built, please let me know so I can remove these
before the Cygwin upload.  The current plan is that when each maintainer
has ready with the package rebuild, we will coordinate an upload so that
all packages can be released at the same time.  Tentatively we would
like to do that some time in CW41, so if that doesn't work for you,
please speak up.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

Yaakov Selkowitz
On 2017-09-26 11:45, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Aside from the obvious perl-* distribution packages, I've checked for
> perl content in other packages and found these:
>
> biber:             BibTeX replacement for users of BibLaTeX (installed binaries and support files)
> git-svn:     Subversion compatibility support for Git version control system
> git:             Distributed version control system
> grepmail:     search mailboxes for mail matching an expression (installed binaries and support files)
> irssi:             Modular text mode IRC client with Perl scripting
> nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server (installed binaries and support files)
> nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server
> po4a:             Tools for translating various file formats with gettext (installed binaries and support files)
> pristine-tar:     Regenerate pristine tarballs (installed binaries and support files)
> sendxmpp:            Commandline XMPP (jabber) utility (installed binaries and support files)
> subversion-perl:     A version control system (perl bindings)
For future reference, there are more.  The following are mine and are
ready for upload:

gnumeric
graphviz
hexchat
libproxy
link-grammar
marisa
ming
openbabel
openwsman
rxvt-unicode
vim
xfconf
zbar
zinnia

And the following which belong to others:

gdal
GraphicsMagick
ImageMagick
net-smtp
openldap
texinfo
weechat
znc

On 24/09/2017 18:22, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Ken Brown writes:
>> On 9/24/2017 11:59 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>> Please build and prepare packages meant for release to Cygwin with this
>>> Perl version, but preferrably do no yet actually upload.
>>
>> Have you decided yet how you want to handle the upgrade when the time
>> comes?  I think last time you asked people to upload a !perl file
>> instead of !ready, and then you coordinated with Jon to change all the
>> !perl files to !ready at the appropriate time.
>
> The mechanisms on sourceware have substantially changed since then, so I
> don't know what's the appropriate solution this time around.  One
> possibility could be to simply stop the calm updates until everybody
> gives their go and then resume it so it picks up everything in one go.
> But again, Jon or Yaakov probably have a better idea.

Doing the same thing again should be fine.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1-RC1

On 24/09/2017 19:24, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 24/09/2017 11:25, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Marco Atzeri writes:
>>> I am uploading as test
>>
>> Please hold on until I have uploaded the release version sometime later
>> today.  You need to build with that, not the RC1 if you are going to put
>> it on the official Cygwin distribution.
>
> I will re-run the tests and if needed re-build

Achim,

rebuilding GraphicsMagick with 5.26-1 I noted that the
perl files have not changed location from previous build with RC1:

  $ cygport GraphicsMagick.cygport list |grep perl
   /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/Graphics/Magick.pm

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/auto/Graphics/Magick/Magick.dll

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/auto/Graphics/Magick/autosplit.ix

cygcheck -l perl-Graphics-Magick
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/auto/Graphics/Magick/autosplit.ix
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/auto/Graphics/Magick/Magick.dll
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/Graphics/Magick.pm
/usr/share/man/man3/Graphics.Magick.3pm.gz

but the same cygport instruction
perl_Graphics_Magick_CONTENTS="${PERL_VENDORLIB:1}/ usr/share/man/man3/"

now fails

 >>> perl-Graphics-Magick-1.3.26-3.tar.xz
tar: usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26: Cannot stat: No such file or
directory
usr/share/man/man3/
usr/share/man/man3/Graphics.Magick.3pm.gz

so PERL_VENDORLIB has changed from
   /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
   /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26

but nothing is installed on /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26

It is a perl issue or a cygport glitch ?

Am 29.09.2017 um 22:48 schrieb Marco Atzeri:
> so PERL_VENDORLIB has changed from
>    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
>    /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
>
> but nothing is installed on /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26

The GraphicsMagick stuff should be in PERL_VENDORARCH, since they are
indeed architecture dependent, so I thiunk this was a latent bug in your
cyport file.

(on the road :-)

Am 29.09.2017 um 20:06 schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
> On 2017-09-26 11:45, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Aside from the obvious perl-* distribution packages, I've checked for
>> perl content in other packages and found these:
[...]
> For future reference, there are more.

They were mostly subsumed in the above sentence.  That these perl-*
packages are captured inside other packages instead of free-stannding
like other CPAN modules isn't making a difference to me.

> The following are mine and are
> ready for upload:
>
> gnumeric

This is using Perl in a plugin, so it never touches the "official" Perl
directories.  I don't know how to check for uses of the perl DLL in
package search, so I just looked for installations into the vendor
library directories.

> hexchat

ditto

> openbabel

I don't find that even now that you said it... embedded perl?

> rxvt-unicode

Now that you mention it, I seem to remmeber it has an embedded perl
interpreter.

> vim

Can't find it, embedded?

> zbar

ditto

> And the following which belong to others:
>
> openldap

Can't find it.

> texinfo

Installs under /usr/share/texinfo and seems to use captive Perl
distributions, maybe we should change that (i.e. move perl-libintl-perl,
perl-Text-Unidecode etc. to their own CPAN derived package).

> weechat

Plugin/embedded.

> znc

ditto

We seem to have more packages using embedded perl or plugins than I thought.

(on the road :-)

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

Ken Brown-6
On 9/30/2017 4:52 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Am 29.09.2017 um 20:06 schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
>> texinfo
>
> Installs under /usr/share/texinfo and seems to use captive Perl
> distributions, maybe we should change that (i.e. move perl-libintl-perl,
> perl-Text-Unidecode etc. to their own CPAN derived package).

More importantly, it installs compiled XS modules into /usr/lib/texinfo.

On 27/09/2017 08:46, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Please build and prepare packages meant for release to Cygwin only with
> this latest Perl version, but preferrably do no yet actually upload.
> Otherwise, in the unlikely case of me still finding an error somewhere,
> you may have to re-release your package(s).

my packages

GraphicsMagick
ImageMagick
gdal
irssi
postgresql

are re-built and ready for upload

On 29/09/2017 20:06, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2017-09-26 11:45, Achim Gratz wrote:
>
> And the following which belong to others:
>
> gdal
> GraphicsMagick
> ImageMagick
> net-smtp
> openldap

this is  ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)
I am trying to build with perl 5.26.1

> texinfo
> weechat
> znc

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

Alexey Sokolov
29.09.17 11:06, Yaakov Selkowitz пишет:

> On 2017-09-26 11:45, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Aside from the obvious perl-* distribution packages, I've checked for
>> perl content in other packages and found these:
>>
>> biber:             BibTeX replacement for users of BibLaTeX (installed binaries and support files)
>> git-svn:     Subversion compatibility support for Git version control system
>> git:             Distributed version control system
>> grepmail:     search mailboxes for mail matching an expression (installed binaries and support files)
>> irssi:             Modular text mode IRC client with Perl scripting
>> nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server (installed binaries and support files)
>> nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server
>> po4a:             Tools for translating various file formats with gettext (installed binaries and support files)
>> pristine-tar:     Regenerate pristine tarballs (installed binaries and support files)
>> sendxmpp:            Commandline XMPP (jabber) utility (installed binaries and support files)
>> subversion-perl:     A version control system (perl bindings)
>
> For future reference, there are more.  The following are mine and are
> ready for upload:
>
> gnumeric
> graphviz
> hexchat
> libproxy
> link-grammar
> marisa
> ming
> openbabel
> openwsman
> rxvt-unicode
> vim
> xfconf
> zbar
> zinnia
>
> And the following which belong to others:
>
> gdal
> GraphicsMagick
> ImageMagick
> net-smtp
> openldap
> texinfo
> weechat
> znc

It embeds perl and keeps all its files under
/usr/lib/znc/; I'll just rebuild it with the updated
perl package. Does it needs to be uploaded together with new perl?

On 30/09/2017 23:12, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>> openldap
>
> this is  ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)
> I am trying to build with perl 5.26.1

the 2.4.42 builds but it seems the tests has issue

running defines.sh
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9011...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve the root DSE...
/cygdrive/e/cyg_pub/devel/openldap/openldap-2.4.42-2.x86_64/src/
openldap-2.4.42/tests/scripts/test000-rootdse: line 34: 10964
Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
$LDAPSEARCH -b "" -s base -h $LOCALHOST
-p $PORT1 '@extensibleObject' > $SEARCHOUT 2>&1

Am 01.10.2017 um 00:49 schrieb Alexey Sokolov:
> It embeds perl and keeps all its files under
> /usr/lib/znc/; I'll just rebuild it with the updated
> perl package. Does it needs to be uploaded together with new perl?

Yes, since it won't work with the old Perl.

(on the road :-)

Ken Brown writes:

> On 9/30/2017 4:52 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Am 29.09.2017 um 20:06 schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
>>> texinfo
>>
>> Installs under /usr/share/texinfo and seems to use captive Perl
>> distributions, maybe we should change that (i.e. move
>> perl-libintl-perl, perl-Text-Unidecode etc. to their own CPAN
>> derived package).
>
> More importantly, it installs compiled XS modules into /usr/lib/texinfo.

I need to have a look on what the main GNU/Linux distributions are doing
with this.  WOuld it be possible to cleanly excise those as dependent
packages?

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Marco Atzeri writes:

> On 30/09/2017 23:12, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>
>>> openldap
>>
>> this is  ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)
>> I am trying to build with perl 5.26.1
>>

> the 2.4.42 builds but it seems the tests has issue

> running defines.sh
> Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9011...
> Using ldapsearch to retrieve the root DSE...
> /cygdrive/e/cyg_pub/devel/openldap/openldap-2.4.42-2.x86_64/src/
> openldap-2.4.42/tests/scripts/test000-rootdse: line 34: 10964
> Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
> $LDAPSEARCH -b "" -s base -h $LOCALHOST
> -p $PORT1 '@extensibleObject' > $SEARCHOUT 2>&1

It might really just complain that it can't get a rootDSE, but you could
try to run the build/test with PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 just in case.

On 10/2/2017 4:39 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Ken Brown writes:
>>>
>>> Installs under /usr/share/texinfo and seems to use captive Perl
>>> distributions, maybe we should change that (i.e. move
>>> perl-libintl-perl, perl-Text-Unidecode etc. to their own CPAN
>>> derived package).
>>
>> More importantly, it installs compiled XS modules into /usr/lib/texinfo.
>
> I need to have a look on what the main GNU/Linux distributions are doing
> with this.

It's the same on Debian:

   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/texinfo/filelist

I haven't checked any other.

> WOuld it be possible to cleanly excise those as dependent
> packages?

I could certainly do that, but I wouldn't want to unless there's a
GNU/Linux model to follow.  I don't think Cygwin should use special
packaging that no one else uses.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

Brian Inglis
On 2017-10-02 15:19, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 10/2/2017 4:39 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Ken Brown writes:

>>> More importantly, it installs compiled XS modules into /usr/lib/texinfo.
>>
>> I need to have a look on what the main GNU/Linux distributions are doing
>> with this.
>
> It's the same on Debian:
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/texinfo/filelist
>
> I haven't checked any other.
>
>> WOuld it be possible to cleanly excise those as dependent
>> packages?
>
> I could certainly do that, but I wouldn't want to unless there's a GNU/Linux
> model to follow.  I don't think Cygwin should use special packaging that no one
> else uses.

Debian/Ubuntu have libintl{-,-xs-}perl packages but not as texinfo dependencies.

Ken Brown writes:
>> I need to have a look on what the main GNU/Linux distributions are doing
>> with this.
>
> It's the same on Debian:
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/texinfo/filelist
>
> I haven't checked any other.

Looks like SuSE splits into texinfo / makeinfo /info paclages, but
otherwise seems to handle these the same.  It does split out
perl-text-Unidecode and externalizes it in the configury, though.

>> WOuld it be possible to cleanly excise those as dependent
>> packages?
>
> I could certainly do that, but I wouldn't want to unless there's a
> GNU/Linux model to follow.  I don't think Cygwin should use special
> packaging that no one else uses.

Certainly not, I am still a bit surprised at that way of installing
things, though.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

Achim Gratz writes:
> The Perl 5.26 repository, still at http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26,
> has been updated (again due to an error in module search path) with the
> prospective release version of Perl 5.26.1 and newly bootstrapped
> distribution packages.

The setup.ini is now signed with my PGP key available at
$root/stromeko.gpg, which you can download and then feed to setup.exe
via the -K switch.  The fingerprint of that key is:

      B22B 4890 B89E 5E5A 795C  E305 B40B EC75 3152 B1C3

If you have the keyart script (Python, you can just download from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/atoponce/keyart/master/keyart), this
is what you should see after importing the key into your public keyring:

> keyart stromeko
+-----[DSA 2048]----+
|         ^.        |
|        ^ .        |
|       ^ E         |
|    . . ^ :        |
|. .  ^ : .         |
|.^  . ^.:S         |
| ..  . :^.         |
|.  .^ ^.^          |
|. ^:.^ ..          |
| ^:... .           |
|.^    .            |
+-----[3152B1C3]----+
+-------------------+
|                 :X|
|             .  ^^^|
|            :   ..^|
|         . : .   E |
|          i . . .  |
|       ^ S l : .   |
|        i l ^ ^    |
|       ^ . .       |
|      .   .        |
|       . .         |
|      ...          |
+-------------------+

On 9/29/2017 2:06 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> The following are mine and are
> ready for upload:
>
> gnumeric
> graphviz
> hexchat
> libproxy
> link-grammar
> marisa
> ming
> openbabel
> openwsman
> rxvt-unicode
> vim
> xfconf
> zbar
> zinnia

Yaakov,

Have you also rebuilt your perl-Tk* packages?  If so, can you make them
available somewhere?  I need them for the build of perl-PAR-Packer.

Thanks.

Ken

123