[Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1-RC1

123

[Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1-RC1

ASSI

Things took a bit longer than expected, but the RC1 plus all Cygwin
modules that I maintain or co-maintain are now available.  Please point
setup to http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26 as an additional
installation source and it should let you update.  The Perl
distributions are release versions that will be offered directly, perl
itself is marked as test so you need to mark them for installation in
setup for these packages.

After the install you should be able to create test packages with and
for the new Perl.

If you plan to go back from the test installation, you should probably
just have a backup of your Cygwin installation.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1-RC1

Ken Brown-6
On 9/17/2017 4:05 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Things took a bit longer than expected, but the RC1 plus all Cygwin
> modules that I maintain or co-maintain are now available.  Please point
> setup to http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26 as an additional
> installation source and it should let you update.  The Perl
> distributions are release versions that will be offered directly, perl
> itself is marked as test so you need to mark them for installation in
> setup for these packages.
>
> After the install you should be able to create test packages with and
> for the new Perl.

Thanks.  I've successfully built everything I need.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1-RC1

ASSI

A few notes for maintainers that I didn't manage to write yesterday
evening:

If building your Perl distribution (or testing) fails, try adding

export PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1

to the cygport file.  Please do not add it unconditionally and check
with each update whether it is still needed.

The following distributions are now integrated into Perl itself with a
new enough version to satisfy all dependencies and will thus be dropped
from Cygwin as separate packages until a newer version of them is
required elsewhere:

perl-XSLoader
perl-Carp
perl-CPAN-Meta
perl-CPAN-Meta-Requirements
perl-File-Temp
perl-Module-Load-Conditional
perl-Pod-Simple
perl-Socket
perl-Test-Simple
perl-Unicode-Collate
perl-Unicode-Normalize
perl-Win32

Since the plan is to keep closer to the upstream Perl versions than
previously, I don't think that need will arise, though.

The following distribution is incompatible with perl-5.26 (it uses
internal functions that have been removed) and will be dropped from
Cygwin -- it hasn't had any dependent packages for some time already, so
no problems arising from that removal are expected.

perl-Data-Alias

Ken Brown writes:
>> After the install you should be able to create test packages with and
>> for the new Perl.
>
> Thanks.  I've successfully built everything I need.

…and that would have been?  Anything that we need to add?

On 9/18/2017 2:00 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>>> After the install you should be able to create test packages with and
>>> for the new Perl.
>>
>> Thanks.  I've successfully built everything I need.
>
> …and that would have been?  Anything that we need to add?

I built biber, both the current and development versions, and
perl-PAR-Packer.  (I don't maintain the latter, but I'm probably the
only person who uses it.  I've been regularly building the current
version for my own use.)

All the prerequisites were available at your site.  Thanks.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1-RC1

Yaakov Selkowitz
On 2017-09-17 15:05, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Things took a bit longer than expected, but the RC1 plus all Cygwin
> modules that I maintain or co-maintain are now available.  Please point
> setup to http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26 as an additional
> installation source and it should let you update.  The Perl
> distributions are release versions that will be offered directly, perl
> itself is marked as test so you need to mark them for installation in
> setup for these packages.
>
> After the install you should be able to create test packages with and
> for the new Perl.
Thanks for setting this up.  When do you expect this will move into the
distribution as non-test?

Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
> Thanks for setting this up.  When do you expect this will move into the
> distribution as non-test?

I don't know when the upstream release will be, but since no RC2 is
planned currently it porbably happens the upcoming weekend.  Depending
on precisely when that hits the download servers, I'll need one or two
days to build the new Perl plus re-build all distributions with it, for
both arches.  I would then upload again to my site so all other packages
in Cygwin that ship with Perl modules can be re-built and then we'll
have to figure out how to release everything in one go on sourceware.  I
will not be available some days next week and the week after, so that
may delay things a wee bit.

On 17/09/2017 22:05, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Things took a bit longer than expected, but the RC1 plus all Cygwin
> modules that I maintain or co-maintain are now available.  Please point
> setup to http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26 as an additional
> installation source and it should let you update.  The Perl
> distributions are release versions that will be offered directly, perl
> itself is marked as test so you need to mark them for installation in
> setup for these packages.

I am uploading as test

gdal-2.2.2-2
GraphicsMagick-1.3.26-2
ImageMagick-6.9.9.11-2
irssi-1.0.4-2

as these packages

perl-Graphics-Magick
perl-Image-Magick
irssi
perl-gdal

depends on /usr/bin/cygperl5_22.dll

postgresql-plperl will followup

> Regards,
> Achim.

regards

Marco Atzeri writes:
> I am uploading as test

Please hold on until I have uploaded the release version sometime later
today.  You need to build with that, not the RC1 if you are going to put
it on the official Cygwin distribution.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

ASSI

The Perl 5.26 repository, still at http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26,
has been updated with the release version of Perl 5.26.1 and newly
bootstrapped distribution packages.  I will do one more bootstrap cycle
before I'm ready for release.  This upload now has dummy (obsoletion)
packages for distributions that were formerly separate but now
integrated into Perl:

perl-CPAN-Meta
perl-CPAN-Meta-Requirements
perl-Carp
perl-Module-Load-Conditional
perl-Pod-Simple
perl-Unicode-Collate
perl-Unicode-Normalize
perl-Win32
perl-XSLoader

Another distribution that hasn't been in use on Cygwin for quite some
time already is incompatible with Perl > 5.24 and will be obsoleted:

perl-Data-Alias

One distribution, perl-File-Path, has been patched in-core in
anticipation of upstream doing the same thing in a few months for 5.26.2
in order to fix CVE2017-6512 and is actually at version 2.14 (upstream
was still at 2.12_01).

You should either start over from your backed-up Cygwin installation
from before the tests or clean up and re-install all Perl related
packages by doing

$ rm -fr /usr/share/perl5/5.26 /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26 /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/5.26 /usr/lib/perl5/5.26 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.26
$ sed -i.bak -re 's/( perl[-_].*-)[0-9.]+-[0-9]+\.tar/\10-0.tar/' /etc/setup/installed.db

so that setup "updates" everything again.

Please build and prepare packages meant for release to Cygwin with this
Perl version, but preferrably do no yet actually upload.  Otherwise, in
the unlikely case of me still finding an error somewhere, you may have
to re-release your package(s).

If there's any Perl distribution in co-maintenance where the
co-maintainer prefers to re-build and upload the package instead of just
using the one I have built, please let me know so I can remove these
before the Cygwin upload.

On 9/24/2017 11:59 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Please build and prepare packages meant for release to Cygwin with this
> Perl version, but preferrably do no yet actually upload.

Have you decided yet how you want to handle the upgrade when the time
comes?  I think last time you asked people to upload a !perl file
instead of !ready, and then you coordinated with Jon to change all the
!perl files to !ready at the appropriate time.

Ken Brown writes:
> On 9/24/2017 11:59 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Please build and prepare packages meant for release to Cygwin with this
>> Perl version, but preferrably do no yet actually upload.
>
> Have you decided yet how you want to handle the upgrade when the time
> comes?  I think last time you asked people to upload a !perl file
> instead of !ready, and then you coordinated with Jon to change all the
> !perl files to !ready at the appropriate time.

The mechanisms on sourceware have substantially changed since then, so I
don't know what's the appropriate solution this time around.  One
possibility could be to simply stop the calm updates until everybody
gives their go and then resume it so it picks up everything in one go.
But again, Jon or Yaakov probably have a better idea.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

On 24/09/2017 11:25, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> I am uploading as test
>
> Please hold on until I have uploaded the release version sometime later
> today.  You need to build with that, not the RC1 if you are going to put
> it on the official Cygwin distribution.

I will re-run the tests and if needed re-build

> Regards,
> Achim.

regards

On 2017-09-18 15:00, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> Thanks.  I've successfully built everything I need.
>>
>> …and that would have been?  Anything that we need to add?
>
> I built biber, both the current and development versions, and
> perl-PAR-Packer.  (I don't maintain the latter, but I'm probably the
> only person who uses it.  I've been regularly building the current
> version for my own use.)
Would you happen to want it then? :-)

https://github.com/cygwinports/perl-PAR-Packer

On 9/25/2017 5:21 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> On 2017-09-18 15:00, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> …and that would have been?  Anything that we need to add?
>>
>> I built biber, both the current and development versions, and
>> perl-PAR-Packer.  (I don't maintain the latter, but I'm probably the
>> only person who uses it.  I've been regularly building the current
>> version for my own use.)
>
> Would you happen to want it then? :-)

Sure, I'll take it.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

ASSI

Aside from the obvious perl-* distribution packages, I've checked for
perl content in other packages and found these:

biber:             BibTeX replacement for users of BibLaTeX (installed binaries and support files)
git-svn:     Subversion compatibility support for Git version control system
git:             Distributed version control system
grepmail:     search mailboxes for mail matching an expression (installed binaries and support files)
irssi:             Modular text mode IRC client with Perl scripting
nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server (installed binaries and support files)
nginx-mod_http_perl: Web and mail proxy server
po4a:             Tools for translating various file formats with gettext (installed binaries and support files)
pristine-tar:     Regenerate pristine tarballs (installed binaries and support files)
sendxmpp:            Commandline XMPP (jabber) utility (installed binaries and support files)
subversion-perl:     A version control system (perl bindings)

Achim Gratz writes:
> Please build and prepare packages meant for release to Cygwin with this
> Perl version, but preferrably do no yet actually upload.  Otherwise, in
> the unlikely case of me still finding an error somewhere, you may have
> to re-release your package(s).

Well blimey, I just did find an error.  :-(

The noarch vendor_perl is in the wrong directory.  I'm going to build
a new Perl with the correct @INC and then all the packages again.  With
luck I should manage to do that before leaving tomorrow.

Re: [Attn. Maintainers] Perl 5.26.1

ASSI
The Perl 5.26 repository, still at http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26,
has been updated with the release version of Perl 5.26.1 that has the
vendor_perl directories shifted to the correct place.  You need to
re-install perl and all perl_* packages manually.  If you're in a pinch
and can#t wait until I have rebuilt the whole set of distributions,
please move the directories to their correct place:

$ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/
$ mkdir -p /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
$ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26

Please note that this is only a temporary fix as the old path may have
leaked into the installed files in some cases.  I'm starting the build
now, it should be finished tomorrow morning.  Sorry for any
inconvenience caused by this late change.

Achim Gratz writes:
> $ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/
> $ mkdir -p /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
> $ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26

Please make that, for x86_64:

$ mv /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/
$ mkdir -p /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
$ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26

and for i686:

$ mv /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/
$ mkdir -p /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
$ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/i686-cygwin-threads-64int/ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26

On 2017-09-26 13:56, Achim Gratz wrote:

> The Perl 5.26 repository, still at http://cygwin.stromeko.net/perl-5.26,
> has been updated with the release version of Perl 5.26.1 that has the
> vendor_perl directories shifted to the correct place.  You need to
> re-install perl and all perl_* packages manually.  If you're in a pinch
> and can#t wait until I have rebuilt the whole set of distributions,
> please move the directories to their correct place:
>
> $ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/
> $ mkdir -p /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
> $ mv /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26/x86_64-cygwin-threads/ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.26
>
> Please note that this is only a temporary fix as the old path may have
> leaked into the installed files in some cases.  I'm starting the build
> now, it should be finished tomorrow morning.  Sorry for any
> inconvenience caused by this late change.
This means that anyone who has already built noarch Perl module packages
needs to rebuild them again, right?

123