AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

Stefan Köpsell
Hello,

I kindly want to ask if there are any further comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Stefan

Hello,

thanks for your advice.

> Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself is of little use.
Hm, not at the moment. But several of our projects depend on the library - and it makes contributing more easy, if the library is available as Cygwin package.

>Several problems:

>* The source package (NAME) should be name mxml;
>* A shared library should be created (pass --enable-shared to cygconf);
>* Static libraries are not generally desired;
>* There should be 2-3 subpackages, mxml with any program/utilties,
>ibmxml1 with the runtime library, and libmxml-devel (not -dev) with the headers, import library, etc.

There a now two packages: one containing the shared library and the other containing the development files
See: https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/

Sincerely,
Stefan

Re: AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

Achim Gratz
Stefan Köpsell writes:
> I kindly want to ask if there are any further comments and suggestions.

I think the remaining question was this:

> Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself
> is of little use.

Which is probably something you might have an answer to…

AW: AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

Stefan Köpsell
Hello,

Thanks.

> Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself
> is of little use.
The only answer I have is, that I do not plan to ITPing something which uses Mini-XML -- because it seems that not so many other software packages are actually depend on it. And the ones I found in Debian do not attract me.
But the reason I like to have the library in Cygwin is, that several of our projects depend on the library - and it makes contributing more easy, if the library is available as Cygwin package.

But I understand that this argument might not be very convincing.

In this case I would revoke my ITP.

Sincerely,
Stefan

> I kindly want to ask if there are any further comments and suggestions.

I think the remaining question was this:

> Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself
> is of little use.

Which is probably something you might have an answer to…

Re: AW: AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

David Stacey
On 09/01/18 22:17, Stefan Köpsell wrote:
> I do not plan to ITPing something which uses Mini-XML -- because it seems that not so many other software packages are actually depend on it. And the ones I found in Debian do not attract me.
> But the reason I like to have the library in Cygwin is, that several of our projects depend on the library - and it makes contributing more easy, if the library is available as Cygwin package.
>
> But I understand that this argument might not be very convincing.

I don't think that the absence of another package using MiniXML should
necessarily exclude it from Cygwin. Historically, we've only required
that a package be available in at least one major Linux distro, and not
come with any non-free baggage. Besides, MiniXML has an executable
(mxmldoc) that uses the library.

I've taken a brief look at your packages. You've created two top-level
packages, each with its own source package, which isn't right. There
should be one single source package that creates 'mxml' plus two
additional sub-packages as follows:

- mxml, containing mxmldoc, its man page, 'COPYING' and 'README';
- libmxml1, containing the DLL (only); and
- libmxml-devel, containing the header files and lib.

If you want to see how to split a package into a library and devel
sub-packages, there are probably dozens of examples in Cygwin - take a
look at the Cygwin sources for 'tinyxml2' or 'pugixml' for inspiration.
These are fairly simple libraries split into sub-packages.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Re: AW: AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

Stefan Köpsell writes:
> The only answer I have is, that I do not plan to ITPing something
> which uses Mini-XML -- because it seems that not so many other
> software packages are actually depend on it. And the ones I found in
> Debian do not attract me.  But the reason I like to have the library
> in Cygwin is, that several of our projects depend on the library - and
> it makes contributing more easy, if the library is available as Cygwin
> package.

If that's the only reason, you might want to provide your own repository
that you then use together with the main Cygwin one.

> But I understand that this argument might not be very convincing.

That isn't the only factor in the decision, but since we already have a
bunch of XML libraries I'd personally ask what's wrong with those that
the new package does better.  It appears that the package is in
EPEL/CentOS7 and openSUSE, so that would tip the scales somewhat in favor of
including it in Cygwin as well.