[ATTN MAINTAINER] qt5-base

Achim Gratz

So I thought that it woöuld be good to update Qt5 before it becomes Qt6…
unfortunately the version in Cygwin is 5.9.4 while 5.15.2 is current, so
there is quite a bit of changes to wade through.  It doesn't help that
that the Cygwin patches never got upstreamed or accepted (the net result
is the same).  I think I've got the whole thing cleaned up so that it
should work, but there is one change that stumps me:

In 5.9.4 the QT5 libraries were linked via

 -L/mnt/share/packages/qt5-base-5.9.4-2.src/qt5-base.x86_64/build/lib -lQt5Core

while in 5.15.2 that has changed to

 /mnt/share/packages/qt5-base/qt5-base.x86_64/build/lib/cygQt5Core.dll

This nixes the fixup that was supposed to get the correct name there
(which I had to disable anyway because it now mucks up the target name
for the .prl stuff).  I have no good idea where to fix that up, I think
I'd want the link library (.dll.a) there if I need to keep the absolute
path.  For now I've done a monkey patch around that with a hardlink, but
there must be a better way of doing it…  The compile now goes through, I
later get an error because it tries to use some tools that I haven't yet
installed.

Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] qt5-base

Achim Gratz
Achim Gratz writes:
[…]
> For now I've done a monkey patch around that with a hardlink, but
> there must be a better way of doing it…  The compile now goes through, I
> later get an error because it tries to use some tools that I haven't yet
> installed.

I've pushed the WIP to the playground branch for easier inspection:

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/qt5-base.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/playground

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] qt5-base

Mark Geisert
Achim Gratz wrote:
[some nifty stuff with puzzlers in it...]

Unfortunately I can't help with the qt5 build questions.  Been down that path and
gotten lost.  But if/when you have a package ready for test installation, I can
shortly thereafter provide a patch to qt5-base that fixes the longstanding
Cygwin-specific gnuplot vs qterminal issue.  Upstream doesn't seem inclined to fix.
Regards,

..mark