[ANNOUNCEMENT] icu 63.1-1

Ken Brown-6
The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* libicu63-63.1-1
* libicu-devel-63.1-1
* icu-doc-63.1-1

ICU is a mature, widely used set of C/C++ and Java libraries providing
Unicode and Globalization support for software applications.  ICU is
widely portable and gives applications the same results on all
platforms and between C/C++ and Java software.

This is an update to the latest upstream release.  See

   http://site.icu-project.org/download/63

for the changes since the previous release.

Ken Brown
Cygwin's ICU maintainer

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] icu 63.1-1

Stefan Weil-2
Am 22.10.2018 um 16:04 schrieb Ken Brown:
> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * libicu63-63.1-1
> * libicu-devel-63.1-1
> * icu-doc-63.1-1

What about mingw64-x86_64-icu and mingw64-i686-icu? Will they get an
update, too? Currently they are still at 57.1-2.

Kind regards
Stefan Weil

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] icu 63.1-1

Ken Brown-6
On 10/22/2018 11:01 AM, Stefan Weil wrote:

> Am 22.10.2018 um 16:04 schrieb Ken Brown:
>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>
>> * libicu63-63.1-1
>> * libicu-devel-63.1-1
>> * icu-doc-63.1-1
>>

> What about mingw64-x86_64-icu and mingw64-i686-icu? Will they get an
> update, too? Currently they are still at 57.1-2.

Sorry, but I can only point you to my previous answer:

   http://www.cygwin.org/ml/cygwin/2018-06/msg00255.html

I suspect that Yaakov is just busy with other things.  Are you willing to take
over as maintainer of those packages (assuming that Yaakov is willing to give
them up)?  If so, an email to the cygwin-apps mailing list offering to do that
would be appropriate.

mingw64-x86_64-icu / mingw64-i686-icu 64.2

Stefan Weil
The following experimental updates are not available from Cygwin, but
from my personal website https://qemu.weilnetz.de/test/cygwin/local/:

mingw64-x86_64-icu 64.2
mingw64-i686-icu 64.2

I tested the binary packages using a short test program
(https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/issues/1625#issuecomment-395166694).
Maybe someone else has other tests and wants to try the new packages.

Both packages are currently unmaintained in Cygwin (old version 57.1,
broken mingw64-x86_64-icu). See issue
https://github.com/cygwinports/mingw64-x86_64-icu/issues/1 and pull
request https://github.com/cygwinports/mingw64-x86_64-icu/pull/2. See
also https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2018-10/msg00209.html and
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-06/msg00222.html.

I need those packages to build Tesseract for Windows.

I would also like to contribute packages for Leptonica (also needed for
Tesseract): mingw64-x86_64-leptonica and mingw64-i686-leptonica.
Building such packages is easy, but how can I can get them into the
official package distribution?

Regards
Stefan Weil

Re: mingw64-x86_64-icu / mingw64-i686-icu 64.2

Achim Gratz
Am 26.04.2019 um 21:32 schrieb Stefan Weil:
> Building such packages is easy, but how can I can get them into the
> official package distribution?

Read this:

https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html

Then subscribe to the cygwin-apps ML and do an ITA for for the orphaned
packages and an ITP for any new ones.

(on the road :-)