[ANNOUNCEMENT] cygwin 3.1.4-1

Corinna Vinschen-2
The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* cygwin-3.1.4-1
* cygwin-devel-3.1.4-1
* cygwin-doc-3.1.4-1

We skipped the 3.1.3 release due to technical reasons, nothing to
worry about.

This is a bugfix release, including a couple of nice to have changes
on top.

What changed:
-------------

- Allow symlinks to be opened with O_PATH | O_NOFOLLOW.

- Allow the pathname argument to readlinkat(2) to be an empty string,
  provided the dirfd argument refers to a symlink opened with
  O_PATH | O_NOFOLLOW.  The readlinkat call then operates on that
  symlink.

- Support the Linux-specific AT_EMPTY_PATH flag for fchownat(2) and
  fstatat(2).

- Allow AF_LOCAL sockets to be opened with O_PATH.

- <signal.h>: New macro _NSIG replacing NSIG.  NSIG is now only
  visible to MISC builds, as on Linux.

- The new locale modifier @cjksingle allows enforcing of single-width
  character property for usually double-widthed characters.  This will
  be supported by upcoming mintty releases.  For the reasoning, see
  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/terminal-wg/specifications/issues/9.

Bug Fixes:
----------

- Define CPU_SETSIZE, as on Linux.
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-12/msg00248.html

- Fix a regression that prevented the root of a drive from being the
  Cygwin installation root.
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2020-01/msg00111.html

- Many fixes in new pseudo console support.
  Addresses (among others):

howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Eugene Klimov
i'm idiot =( why I install this new buggy version?

> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
> * cygwin-3.1.4-1
> * cygwin-devel-3.1.4-1
> * cygwin-doc-3.1.4-1
> This is a bugfix release, including a couple of nice to have changes
> on top.
> - Many fixes in new pseudo console support.
inside windows 10 (build 1909)
just open WIN+R cmd.exe
type
`ssh root@my_redhat_entrise_linux_7.2`

run `screen` inside ssh session
(screen package have 4.1.x version)

and view lot of bugs with wrong keys behaviors:
- ctrl+space hotkey not worked (not only in screen, but in any cygwin
executable)
- `left arrow`, `backspace` and `delete` keys works wrong like a `right arrow`

how I can rollback to cygwin 3.0.7 via setup-x86_64.exe?
should I manual unpack cygwin1.dll from cygwin-3.0.7-1.tar.xz or is
there a more civilized way??
how make ctrl+space hotkey works again?

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

marco atzeri-4
Am 19.02.2020 um 18:02 schrieb Eugene Klimov:

> i'm idiot =( why I install this new buggy version?
>
>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>> * cygwin-3.1.4-1
>> * cygwin-devel-3.1.4-1
>> * cygwin-doc-3.1.4-1
>> This is a bugfix release, including a couple of nice to have changes
>> on top.
>> - Many fixes in new pseudo console support.
> inside windows 10 (build 1909)
> just open WIN+R cmd.exe
> type
> `ssh root@my_redhat_entrise_linux_7.2`
>
> run `screen` inside ssh session
> (screen package have 4.1.x version)

just curiosity: why you don`t run Cygwin ssh inside
cygwin terminal + cygwin Bash (or any other Cygwin shell) ?

Am 19.02.2020 um 19:11 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

> Am 19.02.2020 um 18:02 schrieb Eugene Klimov:
>> i'm idiot =( why I install this new buggy version?
>>
>>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>> * cygwin-3.1.4-1
>>> * cygwin-devel-3.1.4-1
>>> * cygwin-doc-3.1.4-1
>>> This is a bugfix release, including a couple of nice to have changes
>>> on top.
>>> - Many fixes in new pseudo console support.
>> inside windows 10 (build 1909)
>> just open WIN+R cmd.exe
>> type
>> `ssh root@my_redhat_entrise_linux_7.2`
>>
>> run `screen` inside ssh session
>> (screen package have 4.1.x version)
>>

> just curiosity: why you don`t run Cygwin ssh inside
> cygwin terminal + cygwin Bash (or any other Cygwin shell) ?

additional have you tried to set "disable_pcon" ?

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

mintty hangs when started from desktop shortcut (was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cygwin 3.1.4-1)

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * cygwin-3.1.4-1
> * cygwin-devel-3.1.4-1
> * cygwin-doc-3.1.4-1

Unfortunately the problem that I reported already for the 3.1.0 release
persists.  When starting mintty from a desktop shortcut as I usually do,
it hangs while consuming one CPU.

My previous workaround no longer works interestingly enough, so starting
mintty from a Cygwin shell started in cmd via cygwin.bat now _also_
hangs in the same way.  As before, starting any non-Cygwin program like
cmd or strace with the mintty shortcut works correctly and mintty
doesn't hang.

The new workaround is to start a mintty with cmd inside, then from this
cmd run the command that I'd usually invoke via the desktop shortcut
(i.e another mintty with my login shell).  That works and I can then
work in that mintty without any problems (and close the first one).

This _only_ happens on my work laptop (Windows Enterprise 1803).

It doesn't happen on a system with Windows Server 2016 (that's 1607 I
think) nor does it happen on Windows Pro 1909 or Windows Home 8.1.

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Takashi Yano
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 22:02:14 +0500
Eugene Klimov wrote:

> i'm idiot =( why I install this new buggy version?
>
> > The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
> > * cygwin-3.1.4-1
> > * cygwin-devel-3.1.4-1
> > * cygwin-doc-3.1.4-1
> > This is a bugfix release, including a couple of nice to have changes
> > on top.
> > - Many fixes in new pseudo console support.

I cannot understand what your problem is.

> inside windows 10 (build 1909)
> just open WIN+R cmd.exe

This start cmd.exe.

> type
> `ssh root@my_redhat_entrise_linux_7.2`

This uses windows OpenSSH to connect linux.

> run `screen` inside ssh session
> (screen package have 4.1.x version)

This runs screen command in linux.

Where does cygwin concern?

> and view lot of bugs with wrong keys behaviors:
> - ctrl+space hotkey not worked (not only in screen, but in any cygwin
> executable)

What is your expectation by ctrl+space? This normally sends
^@ (0x00) to client. Is this as you expected?

> - `left arrow`, `backspace` and `delete` keys works wrong like a `right arrow`

What happen if you use these keys?

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Eugene Klimov
> just curiosity: why you don`t run Cygwin ssh inside
> cygwin terminal + cygwin Bash (or any other Cygwin shell)?
cause it's a have the same effect

also, I found that wrong arrow keys behavior doesn't reproduce with screen 4.6.x
on my local VirtualBox ubuntu 18.04 when I connect via cygwin just
`ssh -i private_key vagrant@127.0.0.1:2222`

but ctrl+space hotkey still not works
so, I just unpack cygwin1.dll 3.0.7 to bin folder for rollback expected behavior

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Eugene Klimov
> additional have you tried to set "disable_pcon" ?
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
yes i tried

WIN+R
cmd.exe
```
C:\cygwin64>SET CYGWIN=disable_pcon
C:\cygwin64>echo %CYGWIN%
disable_pcon
```
press ALT+SPACE - worked, window menu showed

```
C:\cygwin64>bash
Slach@SLACH-PC /
```
press ALT+SPACE doesn't work

```
$ exit
exit
C:\cygwin64>
```
press ALT+SPACE works again

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Eugene Klimov
> > inside windows 10 (build 1909)
> > just open WIN+R cmd.exe
> This start cmd.exe.
> > type
> > `ssh root@my_redhat_entrise_linux_7.2`
> This uses windows OpenSSH to connect linux.
no, i install cygwin ssh package
and i have `c:\cygwin64\bin\` in PATH environment rather than
`c:\windows\system32\OpenSSH`
so ssh.exe it's a cygwin process

> This runs screen command in Linux.
> Where does Cygwin's concern?
;) as I see it's more related to old `screen` version inside RHEL 7.2
than cygwin concern ;(

I tried to run
`C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe root@my_rhel_72_host`
and found bugs which look like same under Cygwin ssh, but different
little bit ;-)
also, I run
`C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe -i private_key vagrant@127.0.0.1 -p 2222`
and on my Ubuntu 18.04 screen works fine

> > and view lot of bugs with wrong keys behaviors:
> > - ctrl+space hotkey not worked (not only in `screen`, but in any cygwin executable)
> What is your expectation by ctrl+space? This normally sends
> ^@ (0x00) to client. Is this as you expected?
sorry to mislead you
I mean `ALT+SPACE`
it's a hotkey for show window main menu

> > - `left arrow`, `backspace` and `delete` keys works wrong like a `right arrow`
> What happen if you use these keys?
under latest cygwin 3.1.4 + ssh 8.2p1-1 behavior look like I press
space or press "right arrow"
https://recordit.co/thJJRbFzUp

under win32 openssh behavior different
https://recordit.co/ffAqC8BvtC

under cygwin1.dll 3.0.7 and c:\cygwin64\bin\ssh.exe 8.2p1-1 behavior
look like normal
https://recordit.co/E0E8sfWGyY

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Thomas Wolff
On 20.02.2020 05:00, Eugene Klimov wrote:

>> additional have you tried to set "disable_pcon" ?
>> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
> yes i tried
>
> WIN+R
> cmd.exe
> ```
> C:\cygwin64>SET CYGWIN=disable_pcon
> C:\cygwin64>echo %CYGWIN%
> disable_pcon
> ```
> press ALT+SPACE - worked, window menu showed
>
> ```
> C:\cygwin64>bash
> Slach@SLACH-PC /
> ```
> press ALT+SPACE doesn't work
That's because the cygwin console handler interprets Alt+Space itself
and sends ESC Space. Same behaviour in mintty if you disable the "Menu
and Full screen" option.

> ```
> $ exit
> exit
> C:\cygwin64>
> ```
> press ALT+SPACE works again

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Eugene Klimov
> > press ALT+SPACE doesn't work
> That's because the cygwin console handler interprets Alt+Space itself
> and sends ESC Space. Same behaviour in mintty if you disable the "Menu
> and Full screen" option.
how to turn off interprets ALT+SPACE by cygwin console and pass this
hotkey to window handler?

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Takashi Yano
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:50:44 +0500
Eugene Klimov wrote:

> > > inside windows 10 (build 1909)
> > > just open WIN+R cmd.exe
> > This start cmd.exe.
> > > type
> > > `ssh root@my_redhat_entrise_linux_7.2`
> > This uses windows OpenSSH to connect linux.
> no, i install cygwin ssh package
> and i have `c:\cygwin64\bin\` in PATH environment rather than
> `c:\windows\system32\OpenSSH`
> so ssh.exe it's a cygwin process
>
> > This runs screen command in Linux.
> > Where does Cygwin's concern?
> ;) as I see it's more related to old `screen` version inside RHEL 7.2
> than cygwin concern ;(
>
> I tried to run
> `C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe root@my_rhel_72_host`
> and found bugs which look like same under Cygwin ssh, but different
> little bit ;-)
> also, I run
> `C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe -i private_key vagrant@127.0.0.1 -p 2222`
> and on my Ubuntu 18.04 screen works fine
>
> > > and view lot of bugs with wrong keys behaviors:
> > > - ctrl+space hotkey not worked (not only in `screen`, but in any cygwin executable)
> > What is your expectation by ctrl+space? This normally sends
> > ^@ (0x00) to client. Is this as you expected?
> sorry to mislead you
> I mean `ALT+SPACE`
> it's a hotkey for show window main menu
>
> > > - `left arrow`, `backspace` and `delete` keys works wrong like a `right arrow`
> > What happen if you use these keys?
> under latest cygwin 3.1.4 + ssh 8.2p1-1 behavior look like I press
> space or press "right arrow"
> https://recordit.co/thJJRbFzUp
>
> under win32 openssh behavior different
> https://recordit.co/ffAqC8BvtC
>
> under cygwin1.dll 3.0.7 and c:\cygwin64\bin\ssh.exe 8.2p1-1 behavior
> look like normal
> https://recordit.co/E0E8sfWGyY

I could reproduce your problem with screen 4.02.01 in debian
jessie.

I also found this does not occur if
vbell off
is added to .screenrc

However, this seems to be a problem in xterm emulation of
windows. So, I will make a patch (just a workaround) for this
issue.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Takashi Yano
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 14:51:21 +0500
Eugene Klimov wrote:
> > > press ALT+SPACE doesn't work
> > That's because the cygwin console handler interprets Alt+Space itself
> > and sends ESC Space. Same behaviour in mintty if you disable the "Menu
> > and Full screen" option.
> how to turn off interprets ALT+SPACE by cygwin console and pass this
> hotkey to window handler?

In cygwin 3.1.0 or later, Alt-space sends ESC+SPACE (0x1b 0x20)
to client as linux console.

The new feature is disabled if legacy console mode is enabled,
so it behaves as you expected with some sacrifice.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Eugene Klimov
> In cygwin 3.1.0 or later, Alt-space sends ESC+SPACE (0x1b 0x20)
> to client as linux console.
> The new feature is disabled if legacy console mode is enabled,
> so it behaves as you expected with some sacrifice.
ok, i understood, but it sad
use CTRL+SHIFT+V
instead ALT+SPACE+3 times UP+RIGHT+2 times DOWN + ENGER for paste
value from the clipboard  ;)
is enough for me ;)

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Eugene Klimov
> I also found  this does not occur if
> vbell off
> is added to .screenrc
oh! thanks a lot, it a really helpful suggestion

Re: howto rollback cygwin 3.1.4-1 to older 3.0.7 version?

Houder
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 22:02:14, Eugene Klimov  wrote:

> i'm idiot = ( why I install this new buggy version?
>
> > The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
> > * cygwin-3.1.4-1
> > * cygwin-devel-3.1.4-1
> > * cygwin-doc-3.1.4-1
> > This is a bugfix release, including a couple of nice to have changes
> > on top.
> > - Many fixes in new pseudo console support.
[snip]

> how I can rollback to cygwin 3.0.7 via setup-x86_64.exe?

You could not ...

But you can (again), as 3.0.7-1 has been silently? re-introduced on the
the mirrors ... (both setup.ini and tar file).

At least here:

    http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/cygwin

Regards,
Henri