[ANNOUNCEMENT] cygwin 3.1.0-1

12

Re: cygwin-3.1.0 and mintty from desktop shortcut

Achim Gratz
Rainer Emrich writes:
> I really don't know if this the same issue. But I had similiar symptom
> after upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.1.4 on Windows 7. The mintty window pops
> up, but I got no command prompt. The bash shell used all of one CPU for
> ever. I tried several things. The solution after hours was uninstalling
> the gettext package. That's reproducable. After installing the gettext
> package I get the hang. After uninstalling all's back to normal. That's
> strange.

I don't really want to imagine how you came up with that observation,
but yes, that's the same problem I am facing.  This is my current
workaround now:

1. Rename /usr/share/locale to something else, like local.bak.
2. Start mintty in the usual way.
3. Rename the directory from step 1 back to /usr/share/local.
4. Work just like the problem never existed either in the shell running
inside the mintty or even start a new mintty.

Andrew, can we have a Goldstar for Rainer, please?

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

Takashi Yano via Cygwin writes:
> Achim, can you build mintty locally? If so, could you please
> apply attahed patch to mintty 3.1.4 and report the output
> in mintty window?

I guess I can, but it will take time I don't have right now.  I'll see
what I can wedge in next week.

What I did figure out today is this:

The last working snapshot is the 2019-08-19 one, the next one
(2019-11-03) starts to fail already.  Unfortunately, between these two
snapshots most of the changes were put in.

Same as with your mintty
request I'll try to bisect the actual com,mit responsible, but I first
need to set up a build environment on another machione (SSD on my work
laptop is too full).  Again, unlikely to happen this or next week.

Re: cygwin-3.1.0 and mintty from desktop shortcut

Thomas Wolff

Am 12.03.2020 um 20:39 schrieb Achim Gratz:

> Rainer Emrich writes:
>> I really don't know if this the same issue. But I had similiar symptom
>> after upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.1.4 on Windows 7. The mintty window pops
>> up, but I got no command prompt. The bash shell used all of one CPU for
>> ever. I tried several things. The solution after hours was uninstalling
>> the gettext package. That's reproducable. After installing the gettext
>> package I get the hang. After uninstalling all's back to normal. That's
>> strange.
> I don't really want to imagine how you came up with that observation,
> but yes, that's the same problem I am facing.  This is my current
> workaround now:
>
> 1. Rename /usr/share/locale to something else, like local.bak.
> 2. Start mintty in the usual way.
> 3. Rename the directory from step 1 back to /usr/share/local.
> 4. Work just like the problem never existed either in the shell running
> inside the mintty or even start a new mintty.
>

> Andrew, can we have a Goldstar for Rainer, please?
This does not yet explain the issue, or did I miss a point? Since only
few people seem to have a problem, what's the locale you run in? Any
other special configuration?
Thomas

Re: cygwin-3.1.0 and mintty from desktop shortcut

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 20:39:39 +0100
Achim Gratz wrote:
> I don't really want to imagine how you came up with that observation,
> but yes, that's the same problem I am facing.  This is my current
> workaround now:
>
> 1. Rename /usr/share/locale to something else, like local.bak.
> 2. Start mintty in the usual way.
> 3. Rename the directory from step 1 back to /usr/share/local.
> 4. Work just like the problem never existed either in the shell running
> inside the mintty or even start a new mintty.

I guess renaming /usr/share/locale/locale.alias is enough.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: cygwin-3.1.0 and mintty from desktop shortcut

Cygwin list mailing list
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:03:25 +0900
Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 20:39:39 +0100
> Achim Gratz wrote:
> > I don't really want to imagine how you came up with that observation,
> > but yes, that's the same problem I am facing.  This is my current
> > workaround now:
> >
> > 1. Rename /usr/share/locale to something else, like local.bak.
> > 2. Start mintty in the usual way.
> > 3. Rename the directory from step 1 back to /usr/share/local.
> > 4. Work just like the problem never existed either in the shell running
> > inside the mintty or even start a new mintty.
>
> I guess renaming /usr/share/locale/locale.alias is enough.

Could you please test if the following cygwin1.dll resolve
the problem?

http://tyan0.dip.jp/cygwin/x86/test/cygwin1-20200313.dll.xz
http://tyan0.dip.jp/cygwin/x86_64/test/cygwin1-20200313.dll.xz

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: cygwin-3.1.0 and mintty from desktop shortcut

Rainer Emrich-2
Am 13.03.2020 um 03:01 schrieb Takashi Yano via Cygwin:

> On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:03:25 +0900
> Takashi Yano wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 20:39:39 +0100
>> Achim Gratz wrote:
>>> I don't really want to imagine how you came up with that observation,
>>> but yes, that's the same problem I am facing.  This is my current
>>> workaround now:
>>>
>>> 1. Rename /usr/share/locale to something else, like local.bak.
>>> 2. Start mintty in the usual way.
>>> 3. Rename the directory from step 1 back to /usr/share/local.
>>> 4. Work just like the problem never existed either in the shell running
>>> inside the mintty or even start a new mintty.
>>
>> I guess renaming /usr/share/locale/locale.alias is enough.
>
> Could you please test if the following cygwin1.dll resolve
> the problem?
>
> http://tyan0.dip.jp/cygwin/x86/test/cygwin1-20200313.dll.xz
> http://tyan0.dip.jp/cygwin/x86_64/test/cygwin1-20200313.dll.xz

This one solves the issue. Tanks for alll your work!

Rainer

Re: cygwin-3.1.0 and mintty from desktop shortcut

Takashi Yano via Cygwin writes:
>> I guess renaming /usr/share/locale/locale.alias is enough.

Yes it does.

> Could you please test if the following cygwin1.dll resolve
> the problem?

Mintty doesn't start when I just replace this DLL, I get a Windows error
"0x00000022".  That usually means I should have replaced some other part
of Cygwin together with the DLL or I messed the replacement up somehow.
I can try again later or whichever snapshot gets that change.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

On 3/13/2020 5:26 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Takashi Yano via Cygwin writes:
>>> I guess renaming /usr/share/locale/locale.alias is enough.
>
> Yes it does.
>
>> Could you please test if the following cygwin1.dll resolve
>> the problem?
>
> Mintty doesn't start when I just replace this DLL, I get a Windows error
> "0x00000022".  That usually means I should have replaced some other part
> of Cygwin together with the DLL or I messed the replacement up somehow.
> I can try again later or whichever snapshot gets that change.

It's possible that you also need to copy /usr/bin/cygwin-console-helper.exe from
a recent Cygwin release.

Ken Brown via Cygwin writes:
> It's possible that you also need to copy
> /usr/bin/cygwin-console-helper.exe from a recent Cygwin release.

I was stgarting from a 3.1.4 install (and the latest snapshot from
cygwin.com works on the same installation).  I'll look at it again
later.

REgards,