[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

Jon TURNEY

A new version of Setup (2.895) has been uploaded to:

   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)

Changes compared to 2.893:

- Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package
chooser with a ListView common control.

-- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
options of undisclosed length.

-- Behaviour change: previously, a category action only affected
packages which matched any name search filter applied.  Now all packages
contained by the category are affected.

-- Category view now shows a count of packages in a category

-- Add long description as a tooltip for description

-- Package selection can now be done via keyboard (crudely)

- Add support for ZStandard compression for packages and .ini files

- Fix a new warning reported by gcc 8

- Avoid a potential crash when checking for cached packages
   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-10/msg00033.html

- Use pkgconfig for build prerequisite checking

- Fix log spam when package vendor is something other than "cygwin"

- Various cleanups

Thanks to Ken Brown and Achim Gratz for help and patches.

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

Tony Kelman-2
> - Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package
> chooser with a ListView common control.
>
> -- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
> category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
> options of undisclosed length.
>
> -- Behaviour change: previously, a category action only affected
> packages which matched any name search filter applied.  Now all packages
> contained by the category are affected.

I noticed a behavior change that felt like a regression to me, could you
clarify whether or not it falls under the intended new behavior?

With previous versions of setup you could use the category view and select
"Install" for the "All" category and get a (slightly crazy, not-recommended)
conflict-free package resolution to install.

With 2.895, now the selection for the "All" package applies even to the
default-hidden "_obsolete" category, resulting in over 100 conflicts
between obsolete packages and their successors. Should selections on the
"All" category follow the setting of the "Hide obsolete packages" checkbox?

I'm not sure if this is how older setup versions worked, but it might make
sense to not propagate selections from "All" to the "_obsolete" category
when that checkbox is enabled.

Thanks,
Tony

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

Jon TURNEY
On 18/01/2019 23:58, Tony Kelman wrote:

>> - Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package
>> chooser with a ListView common control.
>>
>> -- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
>> category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
>> options of undisclosed length.
>>
>> -- Behaviour change: previously, a category action only affected
>> packages which matched any name search filter applied.  Now all packages
>> contained by the category are affected.
>
> I noticed a behavior change that felt like a regression to me, could you
> clarify whether or not it falls under the intended new behavior?
>
> With previous versions of setup you could use the category view and select
> "Install" for the "All" category and get a (slightly crazy, not-recommended)
> conflict-free package resolution to install.
>
> With 2.895, now the selection for the "All" package applies even to the
> default-hidden "_obsolete" category, resulting in over 100 conflicts
> between obsolete packages and their successors. Should selections on the
> "All" category follow the setting of the "Hide obsolete packages" checkbox?
>
> I'm not sure if this is how older setup versions worked, but it might make
> sense to not propagate selections from "All" to the "_obsolete" category
> when that checkbox is enabled.

Thanks for reporting this issue.

As mentioned, previously the propagation was (accidentally?) coupled to
the visibility of packages, whereas now it applies to all packages
(including those invisible because they are in the obsolete category)

So yeah, the behaviour of "All" category now is not very useful, and
needs fixing, probably in the way you suggest.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

marco atzeri-4
In reply to this post by Jon TURNEY
Am 16.12.2018 um 15:51 schrieb Jon Turney:
>
> A new version of Setup (2.895) has been uploaded to:
>

When using a FTP mirror server, setup pops up
error message

   550 failed to change directory

and logs

2019/02/14 19:43:44 mbox Internet Error: 550 Failed to change directory.
2019/02/14 19:45:53 mbox Internet Error: 550 Failed to change directory.

This does not happen with a HTTP mirror server, while instead
the log shows up:

2019/02/11 11:48:50 HTTP status 404 fetching
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst.sig
2019/02/11 11:48:51 HTTP status 404 fetching
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst

I guess that in FTP case a wrong error case is reported.

---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

Brian Inglis
On 2019-02-14 11:51, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 16.12.2018 um 15:51 schrieb Jon Turney:
>> A new version of Setup (2.895) has been uploaded to:
> When using a FTP mirror server, setup pops up
> error message
>   550 failed to change directory
> and logs
> 2019/02/14 19:43:44 mbox Internet Error: 550 Failed to change directory.
> 2019/02/14 19:45:53 mbox Internet Error: 550 Failed to change directory.
> This does not happen with a HTTP mirror server, while instead
> the log shows up:
> 2019/02/11 11:48:50 HTTP status 404 fetching
> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst.sig
> 2019/02/11 11:48:51 HTTP status 404 fetching
> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst
> I guess that in FTP case a wrong error case is reported.

For FTP, the codes mean 5.. Permanent Error, .5. File System, 550 Requested
action not taken: resource unavailable.

Also for FTP, if a CWD full/.../path fails, for compatibility the client(/user)
has to fall back to issue a series of simple commands CWD full, CWD ..., CWD
path to get to the same place, and only if one of those fails, complain about
the path.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

marco atzeri-4
Am 15.02.2019 um 18:10 schrieb Brian Inglis:

> On 2019-02-14 11:51, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Am 16.12.2018 um 15:51 schrieb Jon Turney:
>>> A new version of Setup (2.895) has been uploaded to:
>> When using a FTP mirror server, setup pops up
>> error message
>>    550 failed to change directory
>> and logs
>> 2019/02/14 19:43:44 mbox Internet Error: 550 Failed to change directory.
>> 2019/02/14 19:45:53 mbox Internet Error: 550 Failed to change directory.
>> This does not happen with a HTTP mirror server, while instead
>> the log shows up:
>> 2019/02/11 11:48:50 HTTP status 404 fetching
>> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst.sig
>> 2019/02/11 11:48:51 HTTP status 404 fetching
>> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst
>> I guess that in FTP case a wrong error case is reported.
>
> For FTP, the codes mean 5.. Permanent Error, .5. File System, 550 Requested
> action not taken: resource unavailable.
>
> Also for FTP, if a CWD full/.../path fails, for compatibility the client(/user)
> has to fall back to issue a series of simple commands CWD full, CWD ..., CWD
> path to get to the same place, and only if one of those fails, complain about
> the path.

Maybe I was not clear.
the issue is that the FTP error produces a popup window, while the HTTP
error just log it.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54614583/what-is-the-file-named-setup-zst-sig-during-installation





---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple