[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

Jon TURNEY

A new version of Setup (2.895) has been uploaded to:

   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)

Changes compared to 2.893:

- Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package
chooser with a ListView common control.

-- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
options of undisclosed length.

-- Behaviour change: previously, a category action only affected
packages which matched any name search filter applied.  Now all packages
contained by the category are affected.

-- Category view now shows a count of packages in a category

-- Add long description as a tooltip for description

-- Package selection can now be done via keyboard (crudely)

- Add support for ZStandard compression for packages and .ini files

- Fix a new warning reported by gcc 8

- Avoid a potential crash when checking for cached packages
   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-10/msg00033.html

- Use pkgconfig for build prerequisite checking

- Fix log spam when package vendor is something other than "cygwin"

- Various cleanups

Thanks to Ken Brown and Achim Gratz for help and patches.

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.895)

Tony Kelman-2
> - Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package
> chooser with a ListView common control.
>
> -- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
> category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
> options of undisclosed length.
>
> -- Behaviour change: previously, a category action only affected
> packages which matched any name search filter applied.  Now all packages
> contained by the category are affected.

I noticed a behavior change that felt like a regression to me, could you
clarify whether or not it falls under the intended new behavior?

With previous versions of setup you could use the category view and select
"Install" for the "All" category and get a (slightly crazy, not-recommended)
conflict-free package resolution to install.

With 2.895, now the selection for the "All" package applies even to the
default-hidden "_obsolete" category, resulting in over 100 conflicts
between obsolete packages and their successors. Should selections on the
"All" category follow the setting of the "Hide obsolete packages" checkbox?

I'm not sure if this is how older setup versions worked, but it might make
sense to not propagate selections from "All" to the "_obsolete" category
when that checkbox is enabled.

Thanks,
Tony