[ANNOUNCEMENT] Test: gnuplot-5.4.rc1-1

ASSI

Gnuplot release candidate 1 for version 5.4 is now available for testing
on Cygwin (you'll have to select the "test" version in order to install
it).  This is the forerunner of an upstream feature release expected in
the upcoming weeks.  The upstream release notes are available at:

http://www.gnuplot.info/ReleaseNotes_5_4.html

Cygwin Notes
============

The tutorial is not packaged by upstream in the rc1 tarball and it is
unclear at the moment whether it was intentionally removed from the 5.4
branch or not.

The ggi terminal has been dropped from the build.

The wxt terminal is now available.

The qt terminal still doesn't work on Cygwin due to a Cygwin or Qt5 bug
that is still under investigation.

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Test: gnuplot-5.4.rc1-1

Thomas Wolff
Am 13.04.2020 um 20:46 schrieb Achim Gratz:

> Gnuplot release candidate 1 for version 5.4 is now available for testing
> on Cygwin (you'll have to select the "test" version in order to install
> it).  This is the forerunner of an upstream feature release expected in
> the upcoming weeks.  The upstream release notes are available at:
>
> http://www.gnuplot.info/ReleaseNotes_5_4.html
>

> Cygwin Notes
> ============
>
> The tutorial is not packaged by upstream in the rc1 tarball and it is
> unclear at the moment whether it was intentionally removed from the 5.4
> branch or not.
>
> The ggi terminal has been dropped from the build.
>
> The wxt terminal is now available.
>
> The qt terminal still doesn't work on Cygwin due to a Cygwin or Qt5 bug
> that is still under investigation.
This release pulls in more than 30 additional library dependencies. Is
that necessary?
For Sixel output, it changes transparent background to white background.
Just noting, maybe it's correct.

Thomas Wolff writes:
> This release pulls in more than 30 additional library dependencies. Is
> that necessary?

The wxWidgets probably do most of that (I just checked: 24 additional
libraries for wx terminal) and I don't see an easy way of separating
that dependency out at the moment as it all ends up in the same binary.
In fact the wx support can't even be configured out, you have to point
it to a non-existing installation in order to not build.

I'd rather package the qt terminal if it was working, but unfortunately
it doesn't.

> For Sixel output, it changes transparent background to white
> background. Just noting, maybe it's correct.

I'm not aware of any changes in that department, but seem to faintly
remember that that was an issue before?  Did you actually set a
transparent background in the terminal options, it's possible some
defaults got changed?