[ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115

[ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115

Christian Franke
The smartmontools package is now available in the Cygwin distribution.

Smartmontools contains utility programs (smartctl, smartd) to
control/monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most modern ATA and
SCSI disks. In many cases, these utilities will provide advanced
warning of disk degradation and failure.

Project home page is at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl is a command line utility designed to perform tasks such as
printing the SMART self-test and error logs, enabling and disabling
SMART automatic testing, and initiating device self-tests.

Smartd is a daemon that monitors the drives every 30 minutes
(configurable), logs SMART errors and changes of SMART Attributes via
the syslog interface.
Smartd can also be configured to schedule self-tests and send email
warnings or run other scripts if problems are detected.

On Cygwin, smartd can be run as a windows service via cygrunsrv.

This first version was built from CVS snapshot 2005-11-15.
The build script in the Cygwin source package can be used to build both
the Cygwin and the native Windows release of smartmontools.

Please address questions related to the Cygwin port to the Cygwin
mailing list at <[hidden email]>, and questions related to S.M.A.R.T.
to the smartmontools mailing list at
<[hidden email]>.

Christian

*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=yourdomain.com <at> cygwin.com

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115

Václav Haisman
Christian Franke wrote:

> The smartmontools package is now available in the Cygwin distribution.
>
> Smartmontools contains utility programs (smartctl, smartd) to
> control/monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
> Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most modern ATA and
> SCSI disks. In many cases, these utilities will provide advanced
> warning of disk degradation and failure.
>
> Project home page is at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>
> Smartctl is a command line utility designed to perform tasks such as
> printing the SMART self-test and error logs, enabling and disabling
> SMART automatic testing, and initiating device self-tests.
>
> Smartd is a daemon that monitors the drives every 30 minutes
> (configurable), logs SMART errors and changes of SMART Attributes via
> the syslog interface.
> Smartd can also be configured to schedule self-tests and send email
> warnings or run other scripts if problems are detected.
>
> On Cygwin, smartd can be run as a windows service via cygrunsrv.
>

> This first version was built from CVS snapshot 2005-11-15.
> The build script in the Cygwin source package can be used to build both
> the Cygwin and the native Windows release of smartmontools.
>

> Please address questions related to the Cygwin port to the Cygwin
> mailing list at <[hidden email]>, and questions related to S.M.A.R.T.
> to the smartmontools mailing list at
> <[hidden email]>.
>
> Christian

Hi,
I get the following error with smartctl:

Internal error: unable to compile regular expression
^(Hitachi)?HDS724040KL(AT|SA)80)$parentheses not balanced
Please inform smartmontools developers at
[hidden email]

Despite the error the tool seems to work fine.

Vaclav Haisman

V�clav Haisman wrote:

>I get the following error with smartctl:
>
>Internal error: unable to compile regular expression
>^(Hitachi)?HDS724040KL(AT|SA)80)$parentheses not balanced
>Please inform smartmontools developers at
>[hidden email]

There is in fact an invalid regular expression in the drive database module.
The bug in invisible on most other platforms supported by smartmontools,
because of a subtle difference in regex syntax of Cygwin and GNU regex(3).

See recent topic "unsupported disk drive?" on smartmontools support list:

>Despite the error the tool seems to work fine.

Thanks.
The error message can be safely ignored.

I will release a fixed package soon.

Thanks for the problem report.

Christian