[ANNOUNCEMENT] LLVM/Clang 8.0.1-1

Yaakov Selkowitz
The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* llvm-8.0.1-1
* libllvm8-8.0.1-1
* libllvm-devel-8.0.1-1
* libpolly8-8.0.1-1
* libpolly-devel-8.0.1-1
* llvm-doc-8.0.1-1
* polly-doc-8.0.1-1
* ocaml-llvm-8.0.1-1
* ocaml-llvm-doc-8.0.1-1
* clang-8.0.1-1
* clang-analyzer-8.0.1-1
* clang-doc-8.0.1-1
* emacs-clang-format-8.0.1-1
* vim-clang-format-8.0.1-1
* git-clang-format-8.0.1-1
* libclang8-8.0.1-1
* libclang-devel-8.0.1-1
* mingw64-i686-clang-8.0.1-1
* mingw64-x86_64-clang-8.0.1-1
* python27-clang-8.0.1-1
* python36-clang-8.0.1-1
* python37-clang-8.0.1-1
* compiler-rt-8.0.1-1
* libunwind1-8.0.1-1
* libunwind-devel-8.0.1-1
* libc++abi1-8.0.1-1
* libc++abi-devel-8.0.1-1
* libc++1-8.0.1-1
* libc++-devel-8.0.1-1

The LLVM Core libraries provide a modern source- and target-independent
optimizer, along with code generation support for many popular CPUs (as
well as some less common ones!) These libraries are built around a well
specified code representation known as the LLVM intermediate
representation.

Clang is an LLVM native C/C++/ObjC compiler, which aims to deliver
amazingly fast compiles, extremely useful error and warning messages and to
provide a platform for building great source level tools. The Clang Static
Analyzer is a tool that automatically finds bugs in your code, and is a
great example of the sort of tool that can be built using the Clang
frontend as a library to parse C/C++ code.

This is an update to the latest upstream stable release, with some package
and feature changes:

* Support for all targets has been enabled in LLVM and Clang.  As a
consequence thereof, LLVM is built with shared individual libraries to
avoid an unusally large single LLVM library.

* The Polly library is built together with LLVM, and support for
optimizations enabled thereby is now available in LLVM and Clang commands.

* libunwind has been added as an alternative exception handler library, and
is used by libc++abi, and linked by default when using compiler-rt.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] LLVM/Clang 8.0.1-1

Steven Penny
On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 22:24:57, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
> * clang-8.0.1-1

I noticed that Cygwin Clang requires GCC. why is that? Debian doesnt:

https://packages.debian.org/buster/clang-7

On Wed, 2019-08-28 at 04:47 -0700, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 22:24:57, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
> > * clang-8.0.1-1
>
> I noticed that Cygwin Clang requires GCC. why is that? Debian doesnt:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/buster/clang-7

We don't have separate libgcc-devel/libstdc++-devel/etc. from our gcc
package like Debian does.  Perhaps we should for this purpose, since we
don't call any of the gcc binaries in clang anymore.