A question for the Ruby maintainer: RubyGems?

A question for the Ruby maintainer: RubyGems?

Igor Peshansky
Hi, Corinna,

As far as I understand, RubyGems is the Ruby equivalent of Perl's CPAN.
Is there a particular reason why it's not part of the ruby package?  Does
the ruby package contain alternative mechanisms for installing standard
Ruby modules from the global repository?  Would you be interested in
including it in the next Ruby releases, or should I look into matching its
packaging structure with "ruby" and proposing it as a separate package?
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

Re: A question for the Ruby maintainer: RubyGems?

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Jan 18 19:06, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> Hi, Corinna,
>
> As far as I understand, RubyGems is the Ruby equivalent of Perl's CPAN.
> Is there a particular reason why it's not part of the ruby package?  Does
> the ruby package contain alternative mechanisms for installing standard
> Ruby modules from the global repository?  Would you be interested in
> including it in the next Ruby releases, or should I look into matching its
> packaging structure with "ruby" and proposing it as a separate package?

I'm not interested in maintaining mroe than the base package.  If you
want to add RubyGems, feel free to either prepare a separate package,
or to take over ruby maintainership entirely (it build OOTB anyway).
I have no problems either way.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jan 18 19:06, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > Hi, Corinna,
> >
> > As far as I understand, RubyGems is the Ruby equivalent of Perl's CPAN.
> > Is there a particular reason why it's not part of the ruby package?  Does
> > the ruby package contain alternative mechanisms for installing standard
> > Ruby modules from the global repository?  Would you be interested in
> > including it in the next Ruby releases, or should I look into matching its
> > packaging structure with "ruby" and proposing it as a separate package?
>
> I'm not interested in maintaining mroe than the base package.  If you
> want to add RubyGems, feel free to either prepare a separate package,
> or to take over ruby maintainership entirely (it build OOTB anyway).
> I have no problems either way.

Okay, thanks.  I'll play around with the install, see how hard it is to
get it to behave properly, and try to ITP it at some point.  If it turns
out I'll be using ruby more extensively, taking over maintainership may be
an option too.
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!)
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

Re: A question for the Ruby maintainer: RubyGems?

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > Okay, thanks.  I'll play around with the install, see how hard it is to
> > get it to behave properly, and try to ITP it at some point.  If it turns
> > out I'll be using ruby more extensively, taking over maintainership may be
> > an option too.
>
> In terms of packaging rubygems (it requires a bit of a trick to install
> into a DESTDIR), you may want to see my Cygwin Ports package:
>
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/ruby/rubygems/

Heh, that's cool, thanks for saving me the effort, Yaakov.

> Let me know if there's anything else ruby-based that you like there,
> under /release/ruby/.
>
> P.S. ruby could use a version bump.

Corinna already indicated her willingness to give over maintainership into
capable hands.  I don't use Ruby regularly (just starting to dabble in
it), so I'm reluctant to make a grab for it.  If you feel confident in
your ability to keep Cygwin Ruby going, would you like to offer to
maintain it?

Also, if there is a maintainership change, and since you've already
packaged RubyGems (and are presumably willing to maintain it as well), it
might (IMHO) be a good idea to fold RubyGems into the main Ruby package.

What do you think?
        Igor