Quantcast

5 seconds to update link info?

Andrey Repin
Greetings, All!

_a=fileA;
_b=fileB;
[ ! -f "$_a" ] && touch "$_a";
[ ! -f "$_b" ] && ln "$_a" "$_b";
for i in $(seq 1 10);
do sleep 1;
[ "$_a" -ef "$_b" ] && { echo Timed in $i; break;}; done;
rm "$_a" "$_b"

When executed this oneliner over Samba 4.3 network share, it takes 5 seconds
to match the newly created hardlink.
I'm wondering if this is Cygwin, Samba or Windows networking issue?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: 5 seconds to update link info?

Richard H Lee-2
On 19/05/2017 22:37, Andrey Repin wrote:
> When executed this oneliner over Samba 4.3 network share, it takes 5
> seconds to match the newly created hardlink. I'm wondering if this is
> Cygwin, Samba or Windows networking issue?

I think it's something to do with windows name resolution.

Try running:
ls //

You should see a similar delay.

On 19/05/2017 23:01, Richard H Lee wrote:

> On 19/05/2017 22:37, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> When executed this oneliner over Samba 4.3 network share, it takes 5
>> seconds to match the newly created hardlink. I'm wondering if this is
>> Cygwin, Samba or Windows networking issue?
>
> I think it's something to do with windows name resolution.
>
> Try running:
> ls //
>
> You should see a similar delay.

I forgot to mention that you can get rid of this delay by disabling
NetBIOS on your active network connection(s). I don't think this should
interfere with the operation of Samba.

Re: 5 seconds to update link info?

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Richard H Lee!

> On 19/05/2017 23:01, Richard H Lee wrote:
>> On 19/05/2017 22:37, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> When executed this oneliner over Samba 4.3 network share, it takes 5
>>> seconds to match the newly created hardlink. I'm wondering if this is
>>> Cygwin, Samba or Windows networking issue?
>>
>> I think it's something to do with windows name resolution.
>>
>> Try running:
>> ls //
>>
>> You should see a similar delay.

> I forgot to mention that you can get rid of this delay by disabling
> NetBIOS on your active network connection(s). I don't think this should
> interfere with the operation of Samba.

I've tried to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on client for all adapters active,
but nothing has changed.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: 5 seconds to update link info?

L A Walsh
Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, All!
>
> _a=fileA;
> _b=fileB;
> [ ! -f "$_a" ] && touch "$_a";
> [ ! -f "$_b" ] && ln "$_a" "$_b";
> for i in $(seq 1 10);
> do sleep 1;
> [ "$_a" -ef "$_b" ] && { echo Timed in $i; break;}; done;
>
> When executed this oneliner over Samba 4.3 network share,
----
    What oneliner?

On 20/05/2017 01:39, Andrey Repin wrote:
> I've tried to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on client for all adapters
> active, but nothing has changed.

You could always try using Wireshark to get more insight as to what is
causing the delay.