1.5.19: update-info-dir.sh error

J.Chris Findlay
Hi, I think this is the right place for this.

I noticed that every time /etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh runs, it
appends to the old dir info-entry, rather than replacing it.  (This
was happening every time I updated cygwin.)

Upon further investigation I noticed that the above script does a "rm
-f /usr/info/dir", but then writes it's output to
"/usr/share/info/dir" instead.

I believe this needs to be changed to "rm -f /usr/share/info/dir" to
correct the problem.
 - J.Chris Findlay
   (c:

Re: 1.5.19: update-info-dir.sh error

Christopher Faylor-2
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 03:08:20PM +1300, J.Chris Findlay wrote:
>Hi, I think this is the right place for this.

Actually, it's not.  This isn't a bug-reporting mailing list.

>I noticed that every time /etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh runs, it
>appends to the old dir info-entry, rather than replacing it.  (This
>was happening every time I updated cygwin.)
>
>Upon further investigation I noticed that the above script does a "rm
>-f /usr/info/dir", but then writes it's output to
>"/usr/share/info/dir" instead.
>
>I believe this needs to be changed to "rm -f /usr/share/info/dir" to
>correct the problem.

If you read the description for "install-info", you'll see that only new
sections are supposed to be appended to /usr/share/info/dir.  So,
really, the rm should not be required.  In my version of
/usr/share/info/dir there are a couple of duplicates but they shouldn't
cause any harm and they definitely don't seem to be indicative of a dir
that is growing constantly.

I'll release a new version of this "package" but if your
/usr/share/info/dir file has a lot of duplication, you have a problem
which removing /usr/share/info/dir will only mask.

If your problem persists, please use the cygwin mailing list to report
it.

cgf