1.5.18: problem with drag and drop using XEmacs

1.5.18: problem with drag and drop using XEmacs

Frank Papenfuss
When I try to drag and drop a file into XEmacs it will not open the
file. I am not using X, just plain Windows. This behaviour of XEmacs
is specific to the distribution that comes with cygwin. I have seen a
similar bugreport "Drag and Drop Dead on cygwin on win XP" but no
solution so far. I analysed the problem and here is what I found:

Drag and Drop works with the cygwin command line window. If I drop the
file into the command line window I get say
> C:\temp\dasp\sim\delayline.vhd
I try to drag the same file onto XEmacs, it will show the cursor
indicating it accepts drops. However, once the file is dropped, it
will not open.

I open the same file manually (File|Open), modify and save the file to
disk. The message in the info window says:

Wrote /cygdrive/c/temp/dasp/sim/delayline.vhd

The problem appears to be in the drag and drop hook used by XEmacs.
When dropping a file to XEmacs it gets the ":" notation of the path.
Since it is using the cygwin environment, however, it needs
the "/cygdrive/c" notation. Thus, the open operation fails silently
and nothing happens.

Since drag and drop of files is a very useful feature I would very
much appreciate if this behaviour of the cygwin distribution would be
fixed in the future.

Thanks and kind regards,
Frank.

Re: 1.5.18: problem with drag and drop using XEmacs

David Rothenberger
On 11/17/2005 1:26 AM, Frank Papenfuss wrote:
> When I try to drag and drop a file into XEmacs it will not open the
> file. I am not using X, just plain Windows. This behaviour of XEmacs
> is specific to the distribution that comes with cygwin.

XEmacs needs to be built with the "--with-dragndrop" option to configure
to support drag and drop under Windows. I don't believe the Cygwin
distribution is built with this flag because it caused some problems for
some users. See <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg00343.html>.

I have been building my own XEmacs 21.4 with support for Windows and
XEmacs under Cygwin for a long time. I've always used --with-dragndrop
and have never encountered any problems. You could try to download the
21.4 source package and rebuild with that option. Perhaps it will work
for you, too.

--
David Rothenberger                spammer? -> [hidden email]
GPG/PGP: 0x92D68FD8, DB7C 5146 1AB0 483A 9D27 DFBA FBB9 E328 92D6 8FD8

YOW!!  I'm in a very clever and adorable INSANE ASYLUM!!

Re: 1.5.18: problem with drag and drop using XEmacs

Dr. Volker Zell

    > On 11/17/2005 1:26 AM, Frank Papenfuss wrote:
    >> When I try to drag and drop a file into XEmacs it will not open the
    >> file. I am not using X, just plain Windows. This behaviour of XEmacs
    >> is specific to the distribution that comes with cygwin.

    > XEmacs needs to be built with the "--with-dragndrop" option to
    > configure to support drag and drop under Windows. I don't believe the
    > Cygwin distribution is built with this flag because it caused some
    > problems for some users. See
    > <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg00343.html>.

    > I have been building my own XEmacs 21.4 with support for Windows and
    > XEmacs under Cygwin for a long time. I've always used --with-dragndrop
    > and have never encountered any problems. You could try to download the
    > 21.4 source package and rebuild with that option. Perhaps it will work
    > for you, too.

I will check if the problems with DragAnDrop still persist. If not I
will upload new versions soon.

    > David Rothenberger

Ciao
  Volker